Used 1996 Chevrolet Corsica Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Chevrolet Corsica - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.2L 4-cyl. 3-speed Automatic - (33 reviews )

Wonderful, but..
By Kevin

1996 Chevrolet Corsica Sedan 4dr Sedan

My now deceased Corsica has served me well since purchasing it at an auction earlier this year. I have replaced a lot of parts in the engine, and had an oil chance and new tires, alignment done to the Corsica as well two days ago. Just yesterday, the day after getting $200+ worth of service done to it, a rod snapped in the engine it seems. Now the engine is ceased and is not a clunker. My parents have purchased a Ford Focus for me to drive and I will need to pay them back.

Favorite Features

automatic lights, amazing fuel economy, amazing-sounding stereo for model year

Suggested Improvements

better build quality for 3100 engine, more comfortable seats, has a lot of roll when cornering, drum brakes cease up once in a while

best I've ever owned!
By Brian Lagor

1996 Chevrolet Corsica Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought the car used with 77,000 miles on it. It is now 2009 and she has 112,000 miles in that time off hard Vermont winters the car has never stranded me. It will warn you if it is going to do something like the alternator I replaced it once. I have also replaced the fuel tank. She is the ultimate practical ride super reliable if not the showiest. I highly recommended The 3.1 liter engine it is awesome at 150 HP and still sips gas. The only hang up I have is the heater could be warmer.

Favorite Features

The engine and the riva ability it doesn't wear me down on long trips drove 12-14 hour days on trip to California with trailer in tow.

Suggested Improvements

Better heater. better speakers

Paint is like SNOW there it go's....
By AMW

1996 Chevrolet Corsica Sedan 4dr Sedan

My car ran ok at first then problems came out of nowhere it runs bbad and the paint just keeps flying off driving down the freeway or at a car wash so embarssing might as well be snowing. Sometimes it wont even go over 25 MPH. I have two kids and it's a shame so much is going worng and no money to fix it. The PW windows wont go down or if they go down you can't get them up. It lugs through town I want a new car and why such abad paint job on 96's?? Yet we get from point a to point b so can't complain to much. I would never by another Chevy though hearing bad storys on there paint!! AMW

Favorite Features

It runs. The ac and heat work.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the paint and too many people say it ends up with problems to quick after purcahse.

Turned out to be a great deal
By nenana

1996 Chevrolet Corsica Sedan 4dr Sedan

We bought this car in 1997 with 29K on it...it sat in outside storage for 6 of the years we've owned it, but it worked great every time we pulled it out and drove it. Have replaced the brakes 2 times, the altenator, had some work done with the fuel injector and fixed a manifold gasket leak. We figure it will cost us $1000/year to keep it, and we are fine with that. I now drive it 52 miles a day on twisty, often snowy roads, and it handles well with the front wheel drive. We never expected to have it last 10 years and still be going pretty well. We ar soon to buy a 4WD SUV, but will keep this one to drive when the roads are good, because it is reliable, solid, and still gets 20+ mpg.

Favorite Features

We like the dual cup holder on the passenger side, and the trunk is roomy for a small sedan. The running lights are good, too.

Suggested Improvements

Not that anyone makes these anymore, but the backseat has no leg room. Good thing it is just a kid sitting back there. Not fond of the auto locks, either, when the driver is still in the car and the passenger has to get out for some reason.

Some quirks, but overall very reliable
By BobTheWonderDog

1996 Chevrolet Corsica Sedan 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car from a co-worker in December 2000. It had 100,000 highway miles on it because he commuted to central NY from northern PA for the job. Even so, the car has performed excellently for me overall. I have had to make costly repairs, but have since learned that it was due more to mechanic's greed than actual necessity. Engine still purrs at 170,000. On mine and other models I've seen, I've noticed the gas cap cover tends to rust off, and the doors stick in cold temperatures. Also, my "Check Engine" light has been on for 3 years, but I suspect this is from emissions (gascap again) and not mechanical. If you can find a model with reasonable mileage at 10 years, it's worth a look

Favorite Features

ABS brakes, daytime lights. V6 models don't lose power on hills. And at 20 city and 29 highway, gas mileage is respectable, if not fantastic.

Suggested Improvements

1996 was the last year this model was built, unfortunately. Exterior design doesn't make this car a "babe magnet", but it's okay. Rims are rusted on mine, so examine them closely. I think there is a more rust-proof rim option.