Used 2012 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Colorado model:

cheapest decent truck
By 12rado4life

2012 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab 2LT 4dr Crew Cab SB (3.7L 5cyl 4A)

I bought a 2012 colorado crew cab used w/ 21,400 miles with the 5 cyl. 3.7L engine. The 4 cyl. engine was too weak, and fuel efficiency difference was only 1 mpg. Alone with luggage I get 24.5 mpg at 66 mph. With more ppl and luggage its more like 22 mpg. In houstons mix of highway and city I tend to get 19-20 mpg. It now has 60,000 miles and have had a $400 sensor go out. Ride and road noise are not the best, but livable. Turning radius better than full size, but not great. I find fuel mileage is significantly better than full size trucks, and I have had no issues with the drivetrain. This truck has no frills, but its reliable. This is the midsize truck to buy if you want value.

value, it is good enough without wasting my money.

interior quality, suspension, ride height.

Best compact truck
By coloradoguru

2012 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab 2LT 4dr Crew Cab SB (3.7L 5cyl 4A)

Bought in 2004 new, at 163k miles! Loved it and it fuel sipping ways so much bought another 2004 single cab 5 spd, capable of whomping those heavy Hemis. 19 gallon tank that runs on 87 equals great value on a truck built for economy. My single cab has caltrack latter bars, intake, Spal electric fans, exhaust and corvette c6 seats. Having a hard time replacing them. The eaton locker on both is a traction dream. I am a car guy, that sells an average of 6 cars a year personally, I'm stuck on my Colorados!!!

Fuel economy, traction, practicality all equals happiness!

A diesel power plant would do wonders 4cyl TDI, would average 34 mpg with the right ratios,....

2012 Colorado Crew LT3 V-8
By aloexroys

2012 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab 3LT 4dr Crew Cab SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Have owned the Colorado V8 for around 18 months, and it has been a true joy to drive, 300 HP in this relatively light vehicle is amazing, and it is a real sleeper. The sports suspension and low profile tires make it corner flat in most all situations. This is a little like driving a vette in pickup clothing. On the downside, the interior is pretty spartan, and the ride can get a little rough at times. Gas mileage pretty much sucks. All in all, a fine vehicle that I would buy again.

Power and Handling

28k miles after 6kmiles hard road trip
By schooby

2012 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab 1LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 5cyl 4A)

I bought this 2012 Chevy Colorado with the 3.7 liter 5 used with 21,000 miles. I then took it on a 6,000 mile road trip this September 2012 thru 22 states. From Charleston South Carolina, to Great Falls Montana to Parker Arizona back to Charleston. The Last leg of the trip from AZ to SC I towed a 2000 Dodge Dakota single cab with a frame hitch behind my Colorado. throughout the entire trip the truck ran excellent. Before towing the Dodge I averaged 24.5 MPG highway at about 75 MPH. Towing the Dodge I managed 15-19 MPG. driving up the continentual divides in both Arizona and New Mexico I was able to maintain a steady speed of 70 MPH while towing. The truck would run at about 2500 RPM.

Simple to use interior. Basic no frills set up. Very smooth and quiet ride. Great gas mileage for a truck. ran A/C on full while towing and did great

Interior build quality is a bit on the low end. Seats sit low in the truck, Noticable if you are short like me 5ft 8in. Short bed in Crew Cab model.

2010 to 2012 2WD Colorado Crew Cab LT2 Z71
By nickz71

2012 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab 2LT 4dr Crew Cab SB (3.7L 5cyl 4A)

I have owned 2 Chevy Colorado Crew Cabs starting with an '05 LS Crew Cab and 2.8L engine and a 2010 Crew Cab with 3.7L engine. Both were 2WD. My family and I have found this configuration to be more useful and appealing than the purchase of a compact SUV. The reason I write this is because besides the great service and reliability, the new 3.7L in 2WD actually gets as good or better than the 2.8L. We routinely drive 330 mi. each way to a family cabin. On three recent trips (May, June, July) we got 26.3, 26.5, and 26.7 mpg on one leg. This was with AC on or off. It just confuses me how some say this truck get no better mpg than full size trucks. It gets 17-19 city and 24 to +26 highway.

The best features we like is gas mileage, comfortable seats, useful space, and ride comfort. The cabin is very quiet with less road noise than most compact SUVs than do not have a full frame as this small truck has. There is no thumpa-thump from non isolated tire and suspension going over road cracks or bumps. This is present in nearly all newer design vehicles that do not use frames. Again, the mileage is approx. 20% better in the city and 30% to 35% better on the highway than a full sized Chevy or Ford truck. Also, handling, parking and insurance costs are much less. Full size trucks get 14-16 city and 20-21 mpg highway. The range of mpg depends on wind, traffic and winter/summer weatr

Interior could be a bit more dressy and early looks at the 2014 Colorado shoes it will be. Yay! The ceramic brakes last a loong time (90K to 100K) , but the front wheel bearing/spindles usually have to be replaced at around 100K due to sealed bearings and the ABS wheel spindle etchings (signal producing encoding ring) are not very deep so rust after several years. These should be made deeper since some folks have gotten ABS fault lights. You can remove the ABS fuse and still drive it, but then no ABS or Stabil-a-Track. It's not a major thing, but it does cost $300 to $500. If it occurs at 90K to 100K miles is not bad since bearing spindles need maintenance/replacement by then anyways.