Don't listen to the "experts"--this is a great truck!
By sldl04 on
2010 Chevrolet Colorado LT2 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 5cyl 4A)
Since I don't need a full-size truck, I moved from a '99 GMC Sierra to the Colorado. I bought this one used with 45,000 miles and I must say that I love this truck. I think I have a rare model, since it has the leather option with the LT2 trim level, which usually comes with the LT3 trim. The best thing that I ended up with in this truck is the optional 5.3L V8. In a mid-size truck like this one, the power to weight ratio is unbelievable. 300hp and 320 ft/lbs of torque is on tap and I can tow up to 6000 lbs with it. The experts are idiots--they slammed this truck in their reviews, but on average, the owners have given very high reviews.
Favorite Features
I love the 5.3L V8. Test times with this motor is 0-60 in the upper 6 second range, and I believe it. Tons and tons of power and torque on tap. As far as the interior goes, I like the heated leather seats and the compass/temp gauge on the mirror. Visibility in the cab is very good for a smaller truck--it makes me feel like I'm sitting up high even though the truck isn't a full size model. The radio/cd player and 6 speaker system sounds good, although a jack for an mp3 player would have been nice. Center dual-level console between the bucket seats is nice. Push button 4 wheel drive is nice--I don't have to mess around with a lever on the floor anymore. Love the rugged appearance.
Suggested Improvements
The truck has been hammered in reviews for its cheap, plastic interior. Could GM have done better in this dept? Probably. But, I do have a fully-loaded model (power windows, locks, heated power leather seats) so that helps offset the plastic parts. The rear jump seats in the extended cab are tiny--pretty much kids are the only passengers that would feel comfortable on an extended ride. The air conditioning is a disappointment, since the compressor works on a relay/thermostat setup--if you have the controls on high, if the compressor shuts off, it doesn't blow cold air. Supposedly it helps conserve fuel, but I'd rather control the a/c myself. No lighted vanity mirror annoys my wife.