Used 2009 Chevrolet Colorado LT Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Colorado - Consumer Reviews

2009 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab

View reviews for a specific Colorado model:

09 Colorado with 5.3 V8
By jhwhite

2009 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab LT 4dr Crew Cab SB (2.9L 4cyl 4A)

I have to disagree with the Edmund's reviewer on my vehicle. With the 5.3 liter V8, this truck is more like a sports car with lots of power. The ride is better than I expected from a truck and the interior, although not fancy, is nice. I passed up on a much more expensive "quality" truck with fewer features and less power due to GM incentives and great pricing. I'm very happy with my decision.

Favorite Features

The power, smooth ride, excellent handling.

Suggested Improvements

Better radio with mp3 player jack. The option to use E85 fuel.

Great so far
By Tim

2009 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab LT 4dr Crew Cab SB (2.9L 4cyl 4A)

So far I love this truck even more than the 2000 S-10 extended cab it replaced. I've had many compliments on the color and exterior. I have gone from filling up 7 times a month to 3 on average(though some of that is due to a larger fuel tank). The ride is smooth and the seats are comfortable. The engine seems powerful enough, though I miss the V-6 sound from my S-10. The only real complaints I have are the stereo since they are behind the times and don't have a usb or audio input for an MP3 player. It also seems it could use more interior storage besides the glove box and the arm rest.

Favorite Features

Color, ride, interior design and gas mileage. The mileage could be better, but for a truck it's not bad.

Suggested Improvements

Lets be more front line on the stereo receiver, if I want to use my MP3 player I will replace that. More interior storage for small things. I wish there was V-6 engine option.

New Colorado Owner
By David S

2009 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab LT 4dr Crew Cab SB (2.9L 4cyl 4A)

I was in the market for a truck that offers the following options: fuel efficiency, room for four tall adults/teenagers, and light duty hauling for the occasional new appliance or household item. No towing requirements. It came down to a choice between the Tacoma and Colorado. As long time Toyota 4- Runner owner (216,000 miles), I became a first time Chevy owner based on the extra leg room in the back, a few additional stock features, and overall price savings of about $2k. I usually keep my vehicles for 10-15 years. The 4-cylinder obviously doesn't have the power of a V8, but is peppy enough for my use. Time will tell if my choice was right, but so far I'm very pleased.

Favorite Features

Comfortable, smooth handling, and quiet ride. Feels like a mid-size sedan on the road. 19-20 MPG in city. Roomy for growing teenagers. Bed large enough for light maint. Stylish, especially the front grill with various lighting. XM radio, CD, OnStar. Servicing access easy for self maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

Recommend factory installation of rubber foot pad on driver's side for left foot to prevent wear on floor carpet. Offer more interior color options besides Ebony. Offer key lock for tailgate. Factory installed bedrails (Frontier & Tacoma) would be a plus.

2nd Colorado in NC
By dscain

2009 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab LT 4dr Crew Cab SB (2.9L 4cyl 4A)

I just bought my second Colorado. I owned my first one for 1 1/2 years and would still have it if my kid hadn't outgrown the jump seats in the back of the extended cab. I bought a new Crew Cab, and it is much roomier. Chevy really improved the truck for '09. The brakes operate much more smoothly. Standard OnStar is a nice touch for the price. The new body color trim with chrome accents make the truck look more stylish, and the new chrome wheels look great. The old truck was pretty bulletproof and economical (21 mpg in everyday driving and 27 on trips). As a repeat owner, I am very pleased with this economical, reliable everyday truck, and I would recommend it without hesitation.

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage. Very reliable. Big enough to be comfortable and useful, but small enough to be easy to live with on an everyday basis. New trim and wheels look great. Standard OnStar.

Suggested Improvements

I wish cruise control switches were on the steering wheel and the stereo had an AUX IN. More power would make trailer towing easier, but I don't need it if it comes at the expense of gas mileage.

Great Truck - 2WD, 4 cyl, crew cab
By jerry t

2009 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab LT 4dr Crew Cab SB (2.9L 4cyl 4A)

I test drove this truck with hesitation after reading the editors review. I tested the Colorado vs the Tacoma. The Chevy won in all categories, in my opinion, except interior design. Contrary to the editor review, this truck is quiet, comfortable and has plenty of power to get you moving and do light truck duty. The truck is not at all bouncy and rides like a car. Chevy added some nice touches to the package I bought like chrome door handles and really sharp looking chrome wheels. A similar Tacoma would cost much more. It braked much better than the Tacomas squishy brake petal and had more power. I never realized how much fun to drive a small 4 cyl truck could be, but it is.

Favorite Features

The styling, I love what they did with the front grill, chrome door handles and wheels. Nice radio, not stylish inside but very user friendly. It comes with a nice bedliner and the fog lights are great!

Suggested Improvements

Include the outside temperature and compass with the more standard model.