Used 2008 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Colorado - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Colorado model:

British Sports Car/Truck
By revbeagle

2008 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 5cyl 4A)

Bought this truck brand new in Fall 2008. It's now July 2014, less than 65k on the truck-have so far replaced heat shield (5k), headlight (10k), lumbar&blower(18k), ignition (40k), fuel pump (50k), fuel line (55k). The 5-cyl engine must be warmed up or it sputters on the next start (why?). Once it is running it is like a British sports car-I love the way it looks, handles, the engine has plenty of power & low-end torque and sounds great. But it's also like a BSC in that there is always something to fix! Gas mileage is outpaced by full-size models (my 2WD Z71 Crew Cab gets 16/20.5 on flat Florida roads). Lackluster interior w/ no tech. GM knows how to build better trucks, but didn't try.

Favorite Features

Performance (not including mpg), Looks, Safety.

Suggested Improvements

I'd love to see some original thinking go into this truck, but it's like GM set out to be mediocre. (To be clear, I purchased it because of the looks, small size and incentives at time of purchase) Back seat storage is nil (see Frontier). Speakers stink on my loaded model, leather seats are comfortable but already have broken bevel with normal usage at 65k. Why does it require a 30 second (awkward wait) warmup? This non-inflated, good-looking and powerful truck has so much holding it back. I'll be getting rid of it soon.

2008 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab - 130,000 mile review
By dstanzini

2008 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 5cyl 4A)

I must say, I've always had Silverado's before but was looking for something a little netter fuel-wise and lower to the ground for my elderly parents to be able to get in and out of. I am rather impressed with this little truck. I've put 130,000 mile on it and the only issue I had was the water pump went at about 80,000, but it was covered under warranty. The only other annoying little issue is that the rear brake squeak after awhile. There is brake dust that builds up in there. This truck has a snow plow in the winter and I tow a trailer for the band and my classic 55 Chevy so I am not easy on it. Towing up hill is a little rough. Gas mileage is decent about 22 hwy and about 17-18 city

Favorite Features

Small compact, good entry /exit, decent gas mileage, pretty comfortable. Very reliable Tows well, handles well, stops well. Nice stereo although I wish it had an 1/8 jack input for an MP3 player. 15" tires are inexpensive to replace

Suggested Improvements

I would put disc brakes on the rear instead of drum brakes. The drum brakes squeak. I would also put and MP3 input jack on the stereo

Worst Vehicle I ever bought! Avoid at all costs!
By runnscore

2008 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab LT 4dr Crew Cab SB (2.9L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2008 Chevrolet Colorado used from the dealer with 36,000 miles. Unfortunately I did not purchase the extended warranty. From day 1 I had problems with cold start hesitations. Spent lots of money at the dealership to fix with no luck. I had the truck for 2 years and every 4 months the battery would just die. The dealership could not figure out this problem either. I also had two seperate problems with the a/c just stop working. The last straw was when the truck's battery died when my pregnant wife was driving the truck and I was out of town. Avoid this truck. I am so much happier with my Toyota.

Favorite Features

Radio, 4 full doors with the crew cab

Suggested Improvements

make it reliable!

Like this truck
By A Cossick

2008 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab LT 4dr Crew Cab SB (2.9L 4cyl 4A)

Only owned a few weeks so far - I want to address some of the complaints I read here before buying. First, the back of the seat does adjust and there is a lumbar firmness adjustment. My wife is particular about back support and she really likes the comfort. Second, the rear headrests do restrict view a little, but all you need to do is fold down the seat. If someone is in back their head would block the view just as much as the headrest - use the rear view mirrors. We have the Z71 with the 3.7. The ride is not as smooth as a car but it passed the wife test, she really likes the ride. Not a rattle or squeak anywhere either (bought it used with 13k). Overall very pleased so far.

Favorite Features

Good ride for a truck, right size to fit in parking spaces, plays MP3 in dash, plenty of room for kids in back, slot in bedliner - put a board there so stuff does not slide forward in the bed.

Suggested Improvements

These issues are MINOR: Rear fender flares nicked from stuff coming up off front tires - should probably come with mudflaps std on Z71. Notice a fair amount of tire noise with windows down, could probably put a highway tire on the 2WD version. Provide adjust to raise seat to provide leg support.

Good Truck
By TFA

2008 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 5cyl 4A)

Truck has been very dependable and has done very well hauling loads and the family on long trips.

Favorite Features

Exterior Styling

Suggested Improvements

Add rear air conditioning vents