Used 2008 Chevrolet Colorado Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Colorado - Consumer Reviews

2008 Chevrolet Colorado

View reviews for a specific Colorado model:

British Sports Car/Truck
By revbeagle

2008 Chevrolet Colorado LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 5cyl 4A)

Bought this truck brand new in Fall 2008. It's now July 2014, less than 65k on the truck-have so far replaced heat shield (5k), headlight (10k), lumbar&blower(18k), ignition (40k), fuel pump (50k), fuel line (55k). The 5-cyl engine must be warmed up or it sputters on the next start (why?). Once it is running it is like a British sports car-I love the way it looks, handles, the engine has plenty of power & low-end torque and sounds great. But it's also like a BSC in that there is always something to fix! Gas mileage is outpaced by full-size models (my 2WD Z71 Crew Cab gets 16/20.5 on flat Florida roads). Lackluster interior w/ no tech. GM knows how to build better trucks, but didn't try.

Favorite Features

Performance (not including mpg), Looks, Safety.

Suggested Improvements

I'd love to see some original thinking go into this truck, but it's like GM set out to be mediocre. (To be clear, I purchased it because of the looks, small size and incentives at time of purchase) Back seat storage is nil (see Frontier). Speakers stink on my loaded model, leather seats are comfortable but already have broken bevel with normal usage at 65k. Why does it require a 30 second (awkward wait) warmup? This non-inflated, good-looking and powerful truck has so much holding it back. I'll be getting rid of it soon.

2008 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab - 130,000 mile review
By dstanzini

2008 Chevrolet Colorado LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 5cyl 4A)

I must say, I've always had Silverado's before but was looking for something a little netter fuel-wise and lower to the ground for my elderly parents to be able to get in and out of. I am rather impressed with this little truck. I've put 130,000 mile on it and the only issue I had was the water pump went at about 80,000, but it was covered under warranty. The only other annoying little issue is that the rear brake squeak after awhile. There is brake dust that builds up in there. This truck has a snow plow in the winter and I tow a trailer for the band and my classic 55 Chevy so I am not easy on it. Towing up hill is a little rough. Gas mileage is decent about 22 hwy and about 17-18 city

Favorite Features

Small compact, good entry /exit, decent gas mileage, pretty comfortable. Very reliable Tows well, handles well, stops well. Nice stereo although I wish it had an 1/8 jack input for an MP3 player. 15" tires are inexpensive to replace

Suggested Improvements

I would put disc brakes on the rear instead of drum brakes. The drum brakes squeak. I would also put and MP3 input jack on the stereo

Worst Vehicle I ever bought! Avoid at all costs!
By runnscore

2008 Chevrolet Colorado LT 4dr Crew Cab SB (2.9L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2008 Chevrolet Colorado used from the dealer with 36,000 miles. Unfortunately I did not purchase the extended warranty. From day 1 I had problems with cold start hesitations. Spent lots of money at the dealership to fix with no luck. I had the truck for 2 years and every 4 months the battery would just die. The dealership could not figure out this problem either. I also had two seperate problems with the a/c just stop working. The last straw was when the truck's battery died when my pregnant wife was driving the truck and I was out of town. Avoid this truck. I am so much happier with my Toyota.

Favorite Features

Radio, 4 full doors with the crew cab

Suggested Improvements

make it reliable!

loving it!!
By dirty_mike

2008 Chevrolet Colorado LT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (2.9L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my 2008 colorado used , have not looked back, the 4 cylinder has enough power to pull a 14ft boat or load of wood in the back well.(I don't haul large loads/thats why I bought the 4 popper) the extended cab has enough room for me and my two children in the back 6 and 4. only complain I have is GET a spray in bedliner along the bottom of the panels, for some reason the tires stick out just enough to kick stones at the truck. So outside that con, if you want 4x4 light towing payload/fun to drive/and not bad gas mielage(20 city 25-26 highway)this is hands down a good buy.

Favorite Features

4x4 is smooth as silk, good sight all around the truck(blind spot free)

Suggested Improvements

larger wheel well flares to deflect stones.

truck awful
By marty

2008 Chevrolet Colorado LT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (2.9L 4cyl 4A)

As far as I'm concerned the thing is an underpowered piece of overpriced plastic junk. I have always been a Chevy guy, but this is the end of my Chevy days. My last one was a 2000 sonoma and I thought the plastic was too much. Now I go to open the console and it's like lifting a piece of plastic milk jug, flimsy crap! For sale not driving it junk, junk, junk.

Favorite Features

none, it's plain even with all options

Suggested Improvements

more power would be great,maybe spruce it up a bit in the inside. And get rid of the plastic.