Used 2006 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab Consumer Reviews - 28 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Colorado model:

I like it...but.
By USMC_love1122

2006 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

Okay so it runs great and it looks good but the traction stinks! I had a toyota 4-runner before this and it had better traction than this. My ABS fault comes on constantly which worries me a bit and my airbag light comes on freaquently too. When I bought it the rear transmission seal was broke but was fixed and covered by warrenty. Other than that I love it. It's just too light. I drive from MCB Quantico to Silver Spring every day and back for work and it gets pretty good gas mileage. Oh and my middle console squeaks a lot. It's quite annoying.

My sunroof and rear sliding window.

Don't make such a light vehicle!

Don't buy a Colorado
By kwhitehorn

2006 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I am a devoted Chevy supporter, but I wish I would have not purchased this GM product. I haven't had the truck 2 years and my transmission needs to be repaired (cost $2500). I can not begin to understand how the torque converter overheated causing the 2nd and 4th bands to lock up so it will not shift into gear (its an automatic). Since I have had the truck, it was not calibrated correctly to make a left hand u-turn, you have to back up and make 2 or 3 attempts to complete a left handed u-turn. I have had issues with the tailgate lock not unlocking. This is a poor product GM has come up with to replace the S-10. Gas mileage is horrible, I only get 18 mpg on the highway. Recall had to fix 2x.

The outside is sporty looking. Like the tires on the truck.

Carry brand of tires you sell on the vehicles, work with customers on correcting issues with trucks,improve gas mileage, don't wait until after people have had to do repairs to have a recall.

From full size to compact
By MX336mom

2006 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

It drives great, handles good, no major problems to date. Driver’s side strut was replaced at 17k miles. Loaded with dirt bike and gear, best mileage was 23 mpg. Usual mileage is 21-22 mpg, combined. It is smaller, lower to the ground, less equipped than my old Silverado (which I continue to miss). If you can live with a 4 cyl, this is a good little truck. It would be a great truck for a young person, who has yet to experience the grandeur of a loaded full size Silverado V8.

Sporty look, ease in driving.

Put an outside lock on the passenger door.

Wish for Better Mileage
By 2dogs2

2006 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab LT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted a truck that can be used for hauling stuff for the farm, but I did not want a large truck, and the Colorado has great power with the 5cyl. The gas mileage around town is about 20, haven't taken any long rides to see what hwy is. Have not had any problems in winter driving, but I have to say that I really don't care for the clunk you get shifting into 4wd at times.

Power of the 5cyl. Even hauling a full load I couldn't notice anything.

Better fuel mileage! Change the seating in the back for better storage under seats instead of those rotten spaces that hold small things. Heated mirrors would be nice, along with an outside temp display.

Follow up to my 5/26/2007 review
By Chris

2006 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab LT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

Soon after I submitted my first review on this forum my Colorado developed a cylinder head/valve train issue. It's going back to the dealer for a cylinder head/valve replacement next week. Apparently this has developed into a common problem for the I4 and I5 motors. The notion of having my engine torn apart this early on hasn't done much for my owner experience and to make things worse GM won't extend my drive warranty. For GM to continue to have these kinds of quality problems is very frustrating to me. I'd prefer to support the American manufacturers but I'm not sure I can afford to nor even want to anymore.

Performance, fuel economy and comfort

Improve mechanical quality. Improve braking. Design a lighter truck next time. Stand behind your product when defects are exposed.