Used 2006 Chevrolet Colorado Base Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Colorado - Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific Colorado model:

Rather fine truck
By CHB

2006 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

Two weather strip issues are the only problems in first 36000 mi. Don't get heavy duty suspension unless your going to carry max weight or some cargo in bed all the time.

Favorite Features

22 mpg around town. At least 24 highway with 4 cylinder

Suggested Improvements

Center arm rest. Outside key lock for passenger-side door.

18 Months and 18000 miles
By Burt

2006 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

The truck has done its job. It not the most refined truck out there but it was inexpensive to buy. A previous review said the truck had problems with brakes locking up after a recall repair was performed at the dealership, and blamed GM for his problems. The same thing happened to me, got half way home and noticed the brakes were overheating. The tech that installed the new parts didn't properly adjust switches to accommodate brake pedal travel and they were dragging. It was an easy fix and the brakes are fine. He also complained about fuel economy. Well, if your brakes are dragging your fuel economy isn't going to be all that good. The check engine light in mine comes on regularly.

Favorite Features

I got aluminum wheels, cruise control and fog lights on a base truck, "street package". Price.

Suggested Improvements

Check engine light is on as much as off, tail gate pull handle is not very confidence inspiring, feels like it's going to brake every time I open the tail gate.

Don't buy a Colorado
By kwhitehorn

2006 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I am a devoted Chevy supporter, but I wish I would have not purchased this GM product. I haven't had the truck 2 years and my transmission needs to be repaired (cost $2500). I can not begin to understand how the torque converter overheated causing the 2nd and 4th bands to lock up so it will not shift into gear (its an automatic). Since I have had the truck, it was not calibrated correctly to make a left hand u-turn, you have to back up and make 2 or 3 attempts to complete a left handed u-turn. I have had issues with the tailgate lock not unlocking. This is a poor product GM has come up with to replace the S-10. Gas mileage is horrible, I only get 18 mpg on the highway. Recall had to fix 2x.

Favorite Features

The outside is sporty looking. Like the tires on the truck.

Suggested Improvements

Carry brand of tires you sell on the vehicles, work with customers on correcting issues with trucks,improve gas mileage, don't wait until after people have had to do repairs to have a recall.

From full size to compact
By MX336mom

2006 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

It drives great, handles good, no major problems to date. Driverís side strut was replaced at 17k miles. Loaded with dirt bike and gear, best mileage was 23 mpg. Usual mileage is 21-22 mpg, combined. It is smaller, lower to the ground, less equipped than my old Silverado (which I continue to miss). If you can live with a 4 cyl, this is a good little truck. It would be a great truck for a young person, who has yet to experience the grandeur of a loaded full size Silverado V8.

Favorite Features

Sporty look, ease in driving.

Suggested Improvements

Put an outside lock on the passenger door.

National Lampoon's Vacation
By Ed

2006 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

Do you remember National Lampoon's Vacation? My truck looks like the family truckster. I traded in my Durango to get better gas mileage and that's what I am getting. As of yet no issues. She actually scoots along better then you think for a 4 banger. Although I miss having an armrest or console to throw my cell change or anything else. She's a little sloppy when you round a corner. Other then that, I work 7 days a week and put 450 miles on every week. Plus, she looks nice being victory red and street package. I am still surprised with this truck. Keep in mind one of my techs has a 2004 with 165,000 miles already he drives everyday and all day. Except for oil changes never skipped a beat.

Favorite Features

Definetly looks. I am so loving 20.8 miles per gallon average city/hwy mix. Plus I'm a big guy and fit just fine. If you're looking for a compact pickup for light duty, it's a best buy.

Suggested Improvements

Put in buckets and a console and an LS6 version we'd be good to go.