2006 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Colorado model:
Rather fine truck
By CHB on 11/17/09 16:01 PM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

Two weather strip issues are the only problems in first 36000 mi. Don't get heavy duty suspension unless your going to carry max weight or some cargo in bed all the time.

18 Months and 18000 miles
By Burt on 07/06/08 20:29 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

The truck has done its job. It not the most refined truck out there but it was inexpensive to buy. A previous review said the truck had problems with brakes locking up after a recall repair was performed at the dealership, and blamed GM for his problems. The same thing happened to me, got half way home and noticed the brakes were overheating. The tech that installed the new parts didn't properly adjust switches to accommodate brake pedal travel and they were dragging. It was an easy fix and the brakes are fine. He also complained about fuel economy. Well, if your brakes are dragging your fuel economy isn't going to be all that good. The check engine light in mine comes on regularly.

Don't buy a Colorado
By kwhitehorn on 10/24/07 10:30 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I am a devoted Chevy supporter, but I wish I would have not purchased this GM product. I haven't had the truck 2 years and my transmission needs to be repaired (cost $2500). I can not begin to understand how the torque converter overheated causing the 2nd and 4th bands to lock up so it will not shift into gear (its an automatic). Since I have had the truck, it was not calibrated correctly to make a left hand u-turn, you have to back up and make 2 or 3 attempts to complete a left handed u-turn. I have had issues with the tailgate lock not unlocking. This is a poor product GM has come up with to replace the S-10. Gas mileage is horrible, I only get 18 mpg on the highway. Recall had to fix 2x.

From full size to compact
By MX336mom on 10/02/07 06:23 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

It drives great, handles good, no major problems to date. Driver’s side strut was replaced at 17k miles. Loaded with dirt bike and gear, best mileage was 23 mpg. Usual mileage is 21-22 mpg, combined. It is smaller, lower to the ground, less equipped than my old Silverado (which I continue to miss). If you can live with a 4 cyl, this is a good little truck. It would be a great truck for a young person, who has yet to experience the grandeur of a loaded full size Silverado V8.

National Lampoon's Vacation
By Ed on 10/11/06 08:40 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

Do you remember National Lampoon's Vacation? My truck looks like the family truckster. I traded in my Durango to get better gas mileage and that's what I am getting. As of yet no issues. She actually scoots along better then you think for a 4 banger. Although I miss having an armrest or console to throw my cell change or anything else. She's a little sloppy when you round a corner. Other then that, I work 7 days a week and put 450 miles on every week. Plus, she looks nice being victory red and street package. I am still surprised with this truck. Keep in mind one of my techs has a 2004 with 165,000 miles already he drives everyday and all day. Except for oil changes never skipped a beat.

Check the details before you buy
By oscarcat on 09/14/06 19:41 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

Great looks, quiet ride. However, the front cupholders won't hold a 1 liter water bottle. The seats with base interior don't recline. Beware, there is no way to unlock the passenger door from the outside if you don't have the $500 power package because there is no lock cylinder on the passenger door! This is a serious safety and convenience issue, especially if you have children.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.