Used 2005 Chevrolet Colorado Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Colorado - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Colorado model:

2005 Red Chevy Colorado Z-71
By redchevycolorado

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Extended Cab Z71 Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

It's a great truck if you want to have decent fuel mileage, but still have the ability to tow or haul. I regularly tow a 200 pound trailer with an 1100 pound generator on it, and I can't tell it's behind me (max tow weight is 4000 pounds). When hauling bags of sand or concrete blocks, the stock suspension does exceptionally well, with only a 3 - 3.5 inch drop. (An upgrade to load adjusting shocks though keeps this around 1 - 1.5 inches).

First is a small spout that sits directly under the oil filter so that when changing oil, the oil drains into the cup and down a spout , rather than all over the cross member. The other is the large stock tires for which you can easily drive through a ditch, should a downed tree block the road.

Cat-back system (stock exhaust is nearly crimped in some areas) Billet Grille (lower opening for radiator scoops air and debris in the radiator) Splash guards (keep rocks from hitting the side) Load-adjusting shock (if you tow or haul heavy, this will keep the truck closer to stock ride height)

Nothing works like/on my Chevy truck
By John Hardaway

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Extended Cab Z85 LS 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

Chevy quality has gone downhill considerably since I purchased my 1994 Silverado. My 5 cyl. Colorado has had numerous issues: 2 CD players, 1 belt tensioner, 1 brake light switch, 1 brake light, and good luck finding an air filter at the local auto parts store (I bought a K&N instead). 5 cyl. engine requires 6 quarts of oil per oil change (my 5.7 only took 5). The 5 cyl. gets only 3 more mpg than my 8 cyl. did. Glove box can hold gloves, but thats about it. Armrest only latches with considerable pressure. The rear bumper folded up after a 5 mph "love tap" at a stop light (and cost $500 to replace). Front end required realignment after 15k miles.

Great high beam head lights. Like the "suicide" rear doors.

What part of "American made" does Chevy have a problem with? I guess they meant "Latin American made".

Colorado Rocks
By Richie

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Extended Cab Z85 LS 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

The 4WD system works great! I have had the Colorado on the beach many times. The front seat is roomy and it drives great. I am surprised at the power of the I-5 engine.

The 4WD system and the thick steering wheel (of all things) help make driving this truck sweet. The lumbar support and sound system are also great features.

The only thing I don't care for is the arm rest. I'm a big guy and the short, thin arm rest is almost unusable.

Excellent Vehicle
By Steve

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

The Colorado is an outstanding vehicle. I live at an elevation of 10,600 feet and my Silverado V8 didn't perform as well as my Colorado.

The size

Need outside heated mirrors. Would like to have compass and outside temp in rear view mirrow

Best Truck for the money
By Brian-33

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I bought my Colorado in the summer of 2005 during the height of the employee discount sales and got a fantastic deal. I now have over 32,000 miles on my Colorado and I love it. The styling is great, the interier while a bit over-plastic in some areas seems to be holding up better then my S-10 Blazer. The 6-disk CD player is great, and overall the truck is fairly comfortable on long trips. The ride is impeccable for a 4x4 truck, rides like a car on trips, and a truck when it needs to. Having owned multiple 4x4's this one is the best and most stable negotiating icy roads. Gas mileage is good (20MPG on avg). The engine needs a bit more refinement as it seems to stuggle in high altitutes.

Ride quality and handling, gas mileage, 4x4, cabin space.

The 3.5L I5 needs a bit more power/torque, something that I assume was addressed in 2007 with the introduction of the 3.7L. Might be nice if a small V6 was offered. Upgrade the cabin slightly. The cup holders appear to have been an afterthought, and the armrests are a bit uncomfortable.