Used 2005 Chevrolet Colorado Consumer Reviews - 195 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Colorado - Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Colorado

View reviews for a specific Colorado model:

I5 Colorado
By Jim

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I bought the vehicle new and have had it 2.5 years. In that time an axle seal has failed twice, the a/c fan motor once and now it has the driver's window, door lock and fob problem. After a new BCM, fuse block and a $400 bill it still doesn't work. Seven times now I've fixed the problem by taking the door module out, spraying the contacts, put it together and all works fine - for a day or two. This is an ongoing problem with the Colorado that Chevy won't recognize. Also the thing sounds at 62000 miles like what my old Explorer did at 120K miles.

It's a truck and it works, most of the time. For a truck the gas mileage is good, I get almost 20 on average. The little truck isn't a powerhouse with the I5 but it can tow light trailers fairly well.

Move the 4WD button away from the air vents. It's perfectly located where if you touch anything on the dash, you can kick it into 4WD without meaning to. Also fix the wiring issues and problems.

2005 Chevy Colorado, Oh No!
By Kevin

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab Z85 LS Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a brand new 2005 Chevy Colorado during the employee pricing. I should have walked across the street to the Toyota dealership. My truck has been in the shop over 20 times for AC, CD player, radio not working, tire balance, cruise control, AC fan only working on speed 4, broken seat handle, leaking rain water in the cab. The truck looks great and that is about it. I can't believe one vehicle can have so many problems. Never again! Sorry Chevy!

Looks great.

Everything from tires to back seats adjusting.

Colorado proves to be a surprising ride!
By Gil H

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Extended Cab Z71 Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

At the time that I was shopping for a light duty truck I was impressed enough with the Chevy Colorado to take a chance at first glance. Sure there was a lot of history with US trucks in as much as how reliable they were compared to their Japanese competitors. For once, I'm happy to report that I was right (thank goodness!) in my initial assessment of this impressive vehicle. After 63,000 miles my truck still rides fine, has been hassle free and has made me a believer. It's been just what I'd hoped it'd be and a bit more. A no-nonsense, get me there-and-back, reliable truck. It's not as fancy as most the others but I have to say I'm really happy with my purchase.

The most surprising aspect of this truck is the very comfortable ride. The seats could have been a bit more stout and there could've been a bit more attention paid to the dash and gauges but, overall, I'm satisfied.

Some gun-barrel type accents or more storage for change and nick-nacks would be nice. The demographic is not only in younger "1st time buying a new vehicle" types.

Almost perfect mid-size truck
By Ed

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Extended Cab Z71 LS Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

The Colorado has great pulling power as I am a landscaper and have no trouble consistently towing 3000+ pds.The gas mileage for city driving while pulling my trailer is a consistent 14 mpg.17 mpg if not towing in city.24 mpg in highway driving. I have the inline 5 cylinder engine, and it provides better acceleration than my 4-wheel drive,351cu.-in. full size truck! That truck gets 8mpg pulling trlr in city compared to my colorados 14mpg. The gas savings alone are paying for the chevy...The only drawback to this model is the seats are really not very comfortable, and the passing gear relly jerks your head rearward if you stomp on the gas to get around someone.My favorite part of truck is looks!

Looks;gas mileage;pulling power;acceleration;performance;versatil ity for work or play.

Refine shifting charecteristics; Refine cruise control to go along with smoother shifting while transitioning to passing gear so whip-lash would not be such a concern for me and my passengers; Redesign seats for more comfort;

2005 Red Chevy Colorado Z-71
By redchevycolorado

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Extended Cab Z71 Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

It's a great truck if you want to have decent fuel mileage, but still have the ability to tow or haul. I regularly tow a 200 pound trailer with an 1100 pound generator on it, and I can't tell it's behind me (max tow weight is 4000 pounds). When hauling bags of sand or concrete blocks, the stock suspension does exceptionally well, with only a 3 - 3.5 inch drop. (An upgrade to load adjusting shocks though keeps this around 1 - 1.5 inches).

First is a small spout that sits directly under the oil filter so that when changing oil, the oil drains into the cup and down a spout , rather than all over the cross member. The other is the large stock tires for which you can easily drive through a ditch, should a downed tree block the road.

Cat-back system (stock exhaust is nearly crimped in some areas) Billet Grille (lower opening for radiator scoops air and debris in the radiator) Splash guards (keep rocks from hitting the side) Load-adjusting shock (if you tow or haul heavy, this will keep the truck closer to stock ride height)