2005 Chevrolet Colorado - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Colorado model:
A true American shops at home!
By George Bourque on 11/25/07 14:19 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Extended Cab Z71 LS Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven the 05 Colorado 5cyl.w/auto & 3.43 gears for 2.5 yrs now w/no problems. I've personalized some w/16x8 American racing wheels that had counterbored to fit 2,5yrs now. Added SS fender trim to existing flares. SS bedrails and caps sprayed bedliner and many more mods. As to performance I've hauled 5000 lbs manlifts with this truck while loaded w/over 1200lbs of tools in the bed & cab. the tools have in the cab for allthis time and I still avg.19-21mpg. I add I'm not a litefoot driver. I would seriously consider in the future replacing this truck with another Colorado. Over the long run this one thing the X-perts are not the best source of info. you should speak to the horse's mouth.

I5 Colorado
By Jim on 09/02/07 14:32 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I bought the vehicle new and have had it 2.5 years. In that time an axle seal has failed twice, the a/c fan motor once and now it has the driver's window, door lock and fob problem. After a new BCM, fuse block and a $400 bill it still doesn't work. Seven times now I've fixed the problem by taking the door module out, spraying the contacts, put it together and all works fine - for a day or two. This is an ongoing problem with the Colorado that Chevy won't recognize. Also the thing sounds at 62000 miles like what my old Explorer did at 120K miles.

2005 Chevy Colorado, Oh No!
By Kevin on 08/07/07 11:40 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab Z85 LS Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a brand new 2005 Chevy Colorado during the employee pricing. I should have walked across the street to the Toyota dealership. My truck has been in the shop over 20 times for AC, CD player, radio not working, tire balance, cruise control, AC fan only working on speed 4, broken seat handle, leaking rain water in the cab. The truck looks great and that is about it. I can't believe one vehicle can have so many problems. Never again! Sorry Chevy!

Colorado proves to be a surprising ride!
By Gil H on 07/20/07 21:40 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Extended Cab Z71 Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

At the time that I was shopping for a light duty truck I was impressed enough with the Chevy Colorado to take a chance at first glance. Sure there was a lot of history with US trucks in as much as how reliable they were compared to their Japanese competitors. For once, I'm happy to report that I was right (thank goodness!) in my initial assessment of this impressive vehicle. After 63,000 miles my truck still rides fine, has been hassle free and has made me a believer. It's been just what I'd hoped it'd be and a bit more. A no-nonsense, get me there-and-back, reliable truck. It's not as fancy as most the others but I have to say I'm really happy with my purchase.

Almost perfect mid-size truck
By Ed on 07/08/07 12:53 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Extended Cab Z71 LS Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

The Colorado has great pulling power as I am a landscaper and have no trouble consistently towing 3000+ pds.The gas mileage for city driving while pulling my trailer is a consistent 14 mpg.17 mpg if not towing in city.24 mpg in highway driving. I have the inline 5 cylinder engine, and it provides better acceleration than my 4-wheel drive,351cu.-in. full size truck! That truck gets 8mpg pulling trlr in city compared to my colorados 14mpg. The gas savings alone are paying for the chevy...The only drawback to this model is the seats are really not very comfortable, and the passing gear relly jerks your head rearward if you stomp on the gas to get around someone.My favorite part of truck is looks!

2005 Red Chevy Colorado Z-71
By redchevycolorado on 06/24/07 05:49 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Extended Cab Z71 Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

It's a great truck if you want to have decent fuel mileage, but still have the ability to tow or haul. I regularly tow a 200 pound trailer with an 1100 pound generator on it, and I can't tell it's behind me (max tow weight is 4000 pounds). When hauling bags of sand or concrete blocks, the stock suspension does exceptionally well, with only a 3 - 3.5 inch drop. (An upgrade to load adjusting shocks though keeps this around 1 - 1.5 inches).

Nothing works like/on my Chevy truck
By John Hardaway on 04/18/07 15:59 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Extended Cab Z85 LS 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

Chevy quality has gone downhill considerably since I purchased my 1994 Silverado. My 5 cyl. Colorado has had numerous issues: 2 CD players, 1 belt tensioner, 1 brake light switch, 1 brake light, and good luck finding an air filter at the local auto parts store (I bought a K&N instead). 5 cyl. engine requires 6 quarts of oil per oil change (my 5.7 only took 5). The 5 cyl. gets only 3 more mpg than my 8 cyl. did. Glove box can hold gloves, but thats about it. Armrest only latches with considerable pressure. The rear bumper folded up after a 5 mph "love tap" at a stop light (and cost $500 to replace). Front end required realignment after 15k miles.

Colorado Rocks
By Richie on 04/12/07 06:26 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Extended Cab Z85 LS 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

The 4WD system works great! I have had the Colorado on the beach many times. The front seat is roomy and it drives great. I am surprised at the power of the I-5 engine.

Excellent Vehicle
By Steve on 04/10/07 15:21 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

The Colorado is an outstanding vehicle. I live at an elevation of 10,600 feet and my Silverado V8 didn't perform as well as my Colorado.

Best Truck for the money
By Brian-33 on 03/20/07 12:22 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I bought my Colorado in the summer of 2005 during the height of the employee discount sales and got a fantastic deal. I now have over 32,000 miles on my Colorado and I love it. The styling is great, the interier while a bit over-plastic in some areas seems to be holding up better then my S-10 Blazer. The 6-disk CD player is great, and overall the truck is fairly comfortable on long trips. The ride is impeccable for a 4x4 truck, rides like a car on trips, and a truck when it needs to. Having owned multiple 4x4's this one is the best and most stable negotiating icy roads. Gas mileage is good (20MPG on avg). The engine needs a bit more refinement as it seems to stuggle in high altitutes.