2005 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Colorado model:
2005 Red Chevy Colorado Z-71
By redchevycolorado on 06/24/07 05:49 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z71 Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

It's a great truck if you want to have decent fuel mileage, but still have the ability to tow or haul. I regularly tow a 200 pound trailer with an 1100 pound generator on it, and I can't tell it's behind me (max tow weight is 4000 pounds). When hauling bags of sand or concrete blocks, the stock suspension does exceptionally well, with only a 3 - 3.5 inch drop. (An upgrade to load adjusting shocks though keeps this around 1 - 1.5 inches).

Nothing works like/on my Chevy truck
By John Hardaway on 04/18/07 15:59 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z85 LS 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

Chevy quality has gone downhill considerably since I purchased my 1994 Silverado. My 5 cyl. Colorado has had numerous issues: 2 CD players, 1 belt tensioner, 1 brake light switch, 1 brake light, and good luck finding an air filter at the local auto parts store (I bought a K&N instead). 5 cyl. engine requires 6 quarts of oil per oil change (my 5.7 only took 5). The 5 cyl. gets only 3 more mpg than my 8 cyl. did. Glove box can hold gloves, but thats about it. Armrest only latches with considerable pressure. The rear bumper folded up after a 5 mph "love tap" at a stop light (and cost $500 to replace). Front end required realignment after 15k miles.

Colorado Rocks
By Richie on 04/12/07 06:26 AM (PDT)

The 4WD system works great! I have had the Colorado on the beach many times. The front seat is roomy and it drives great. I am surprised at the power of the I-5 engine.

Working Out
By Chris on 01/17/07 12:02 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z71 LS 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

Like many others, I had looked seriously at the Tacomas, but for what you get the price difference is too great. For $28,000 you don't get leather, power seats, etc. I've go 26,000 miles on my Coly now and haven't had a problem yet. I've upped the tires to BFG AT's 32's, leveled the front, added a Magnaflow exhaust, K&N cold intake and it really goes. Sounds much closer to the rugged looks of the Z71. Even with the bigger tires, the mileage still hits within range the estimates. Yes, the PCM was calibrated for the tires. It's fun, quick enough and the leather seats are anything but uncomfortable.

'05 Z71 4x4
By bob on 12/30/06 19:27 PM (PST)

Great looking truck. Good pulling power. Haven't had the chance to try out the 4 wheel drive.

Room for improvement
By Bolo on 12/21/06 19:14 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z85 Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

With the exception of the AC its been bulletproof mechanically. Got to say GM scrimped on the sheet metal an quality plastic though. Gas mileage isn't bad, but its still worse than the heavier older model 4Runner that it replaced. The engine has plenty of power for this size of truck. Size is very similar to the 67-72 Chevys of the past. I'll keep this one a while, but I'd have to seriously think before buying another Colorado.

'05 Colorado Z71
By jvassau on 10/26/06 03:14 AM (PDT)

I purchased the '05 Colorado after having four S-10's over the past 8 years. I was looking for more room, comfort and economy. I have found all of this and more. I was skeptical of the L-5, but that engine has all the guts of my other trucks and then some, the transmission is great. The truck has proven to be reliable and gets much better mileage than the S-10's, with just a little tweaking, air intake, chip and suspension upgrades. The 4 wheel drive has proven to be good quality system, i believe an upgrade from the S-10, whether in snow, ice or off road, construction site. The payload needs a bit of help, suspension wise. All in all I am satisfied with my puchase.

Best truck for the money
By Chevy Colorado on 09/21/06 13:20 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z71 Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

Plenty of power, smooth transmission. Great looks. Perfect fit and finish. Very large bed, plenty of leg room. Haven't had a single problem. Drives much smoother than the Tacoma and Frontier. Feels and handles great. The Z71 package adds more than just looks. The anti-slip rear drive with override works perfect as sliding out in wet conditions is prevented. Perfect alternative to the full size gas guzzlers.

Nothing better Quality Control won't fix
By Dalien on 06/13/06 23:18 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z85 LS Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

A really nice vehicle for the price. It drives well, rides well, and the strong 5 cyl engine gives a steady 23 mpg mixed use. Wish it had come with XM radio, but those were hard to find. I immediately flushed out the cheap tires for Michelins. There were too many warranty trips to fix dumb things, but the warranty service was excellent and no hassle.

A Total Lemon
By Matt on 05/01/06 04:30 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z85 Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Colorado brand new, and have had nothing but trouble with it. It's died on me twice, I continue to have problems with the cd player. The AC squeals like a stuck pig, plastic molding had warped, carpeting comes up in chunks of fuzz. I've had problems with the ignition switch, airbag sensor, cruise control light, and interior paneling. The interior is of very cheap material and reeks of poor design. It's a sharp looking truck, and when it's not in the shop it drives and handles ok. Unless you're a die hard Chevy fan, I'd advise you to look elsewhere for a truck. Based on my experience with this, I'll never buy another Chevy truck.