Used 2005 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Colorado - Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific Colorado model:

2005 Chevy Colorado Z71 Ext. Cab
By Dave

2005 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z71 LS 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

Driving the vehicle on a day to day basis the gas mileage averages around 18 mpg. Lacking power in some conditions and interior is cheap. The vehicle has some excess noise as well inside. Overall though the vehicle is better than the majority of the competetion. I am 35 years old and this is my 48th vehicle. I have had Porsche's, Merc's, and all sorts of SUVs, trucks. This one is just fine and the competion is lacking in space, comfort, and overall fit and finish, especially on their exteriors.

Favorite Features

4WD system is second to none. Strong tow for a midsize truck. Suspension rocks.

Suggested Improvements

Interior fit and finish. 27000 dollars you should get sunroof and ipod kit and maybe navigation.

Hoping For More
By pricezright

2005 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z85 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I talked myself into buying this Chevy because I didn't want to pay an extra 4K for the Tacoma. I tried to look past the Consumer Report ratings, but they are pretty much dead on. The gas mileage is not bad, but not great either for a 5 cyl. I average 18.5 MPG in the summer with a mix of hilly and flat driving. Winter (with warming the car up) it averages 15.5 MPG. Towing a small trailer isn't too bad, except going up hills. Handling is good. Extended cab access is good. I like the size of the truck. Interior is cheap, seats are cheap. I've had it to the dealer 3 or 4 times in less than a year, luckily the warranty covered it all. Bed feels like it's made of tin. Won't buy again.

Favorite Features

Size, handling, styling, push button 4wd, compass/temp rear mirror

Suggested Improvements

Cheap paint, cheap interior, cheap metal bed, mileage not that much better than stronger trucks, poor reliability

A true American shops at home!
By George Bourque

2005 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z71 LS Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven the 05 Colorado 5cyl.w/auto & 3.43 gears for 2.5 yrs now w/no problems. I've personalized some w/16x8 American racing wheels that had counterbored to fit 2,5yrs now. Added SS fender trim to existing flares. SS bedrails and caps sprayed bedliner and many more mods. As to performance I've hauled 5000 lbs manlifts with this truck while loaded w/over 1200lbs of tools in the bed & cab. the tools have in the cab for allthis time and I still avg.19-21mpg. I add I'm not a litefoot driver. I would seriously consider in the future replacing this truck with another Colorado. Over the long run this one thing the X-perts are not the best source of info. you should speak to the horse's mouth.

Favorite Features

It's a Chevy

Suggested Improvements

The KN Cold airpack I added helps. Sprayedin bedliners should be factory installed. Factory chrome and SS trims should be made available. Everyone who see my truck thinks they can get one like it.It doesn't matter if there 25 or 65.

Colorado proves to be a surprising ride!
By Gil H

2005 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z71 Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

At the time that I was shopping for a light duty truck I was impressed enough with the Chevy Colorado to take a chance at first glance. Sure there was a lot of history with US trucks in as much as how reliable they were compared to their Japanese competitors. For once, I'm happy to report that I was right (thank goodness!) in my initial assessment of this impressive vehicle. After 63,000 miles my truck still rides fine, has been hassle free and has made me a believer. It's been just what I'd hoped it'd be and a bit more. A no-nonsense, get me there-and-back, reliable truck. It's not as fancy as most the others but I have to say I'm really happy with my purchase.

Favorite Features

The most surprising aspect of this truck is the very comfortable ride. The seats could have been a bit more stout and there could've been a bit more attention paid to the dash and gauges but, overall, I'm satisfied.

Suggested Improvements

Some gun-barrel type accents or more storage for change and nick-nacks would be nice. The demographic is not only in younger "1st time buying a new vehicle" types.

Almost perfect mid-size truck
By Ed

The Colorado has great pulling power as I am a landscaper and have no trouble consistently towing 3000+ pds.The gas mileage for city driving while pulling my trailer is a consistent 14 mpg.17 mpg if not towing in city.24 mpg in highway driving. I have the inline 5 cylinder engine, and it provides better acceleration than my 4-wheel drive,351cu.-in. full size truck! That truck gets 8mpg pulling trlr in city compared to my colorados 14mpg. The gas savings alone are paying for the chevy...The only drawback to this model is the seats are really not very comfortable, and the passing gear relly jerks your head rearward if you stomp on the gas to get around someone.My favorite part of truck is looks!

Favorite Features

Looks;gas mileage;pulling power;acceleration;performance;versatil ity for work or play.

Suggested Improvements

Refine shifting charecteristics; Refine cruise control to go along with smoother shifting while transitioning to passing gear so whip-lash would not be such a concern for me and my passengers; Redesign seats for more comfort;