Used 2005 Chevrolet Colorado Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Colorado - Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Colorado

View reviews for a specific Colorado model:

my cool colorado
By John

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab ZQ8 LS Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I bought my colorado with 43K miles from an auction. I really like it allot. I have a lower than usual RWD pick-up truck with a stock sport suspension and stock 17's so the ride is pretty.....well....sporty! I can say one thing, when this car is on the freeway going about 65 mph. you can't even feel it. It's very smooth, even though the acceleration is pretty darn right lazy for a 5 cyl. engine. Engine and transmission is a charm, good job GM (general motors). I love this truck, looks good and does the job. I can even use it as a family car since I have the crew cab. 5 adults can ride comfortably, and there is no problem putting a baby chair in the back.

Favorite Features

The head lights, and smooth ride

Suggested Improvements

cd player doesn't always work

Worst truck purchase ever!
By Stephen

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab ZQ8 LS Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

In under 40,000 miles, I have had to change the clutch, have the brakes rebuilt, new tire rods, and live with the wonderful feeling of is the truck going to die on the way to work again. I am currently driving with the check engine light due to faulty vacuum seals. This truck has been used to haul items less than ten times and never over a thousand pounds. the vehicle rattles and does not drive nice, several of the dashboard lights have burnt out. Do not buy one of these vehicles they are not put together well.

Favorite Features

none thought it would be nice to have the crew cab to haul the kids around. we don't drive the truck because it is so unreliable

Suggested Improvements

start over and try again

I love it
By Ken

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Extended Cab Z71 Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this Colorado used 2 years ago. Other than normal servicing, all I have replaced is the battery at 5 years. I drove it home (550 miles) in a snow storm and got 24.0 on the first tank and 24.4 mpg on the second. In town I get between 20 and 21. The work truck the seats are non-reclining and terrible. I replaced them with a used set of very comfortable LT seats. Traction on the OEM General Ameritracs is terrible. I now have 74,000 miles and can not wear them out. I bought two General AT22 for this winter and the traction is unbelievable. I'll buy two more as soon as I wear out the original Ameritracs. I'm looking at a 2006 for my daughter this week. Great truck!!!

Favorite Features

Z71 suspension, Posi-traction, Traction Control, Super ride

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the original General Ameritrac tires. Get rid of the computer controlled radio. It makes changing or upgrading radios very expensive.

Suspension
By wayne

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

The vehicle was purchased in 07 with only 15k. .I drove it through the winter and summer without problem. Possibly ran 5k.In the fall of the year I was on a dirt trail, rough road for the weekend trip. Afterwards I had to replace the front ball joints as they had been worn. Also all four shocks were leaking fluid and I replaced those also. The original shocks are not much more than a piece of plastic covering a cylinder My neighbor had just purchased a new Colorado, 4 cylinder,two wheel drive (2009)and his shocks are the same as what I had. I have a 4x4 what is up with that? The factory shocks and front end parts are garbage.I replaced with after market .So much for Mr.Goodwrench

Favorite Features

I have the larger engine 3.5ltr, It does well on fuel as far as trucks are concerned. Nice to have the 4x push button when needed

Suggested Improvements

Ergonomics.. The push buttons for the 4x controls are located directly above the stereo/cd player. Inadvertently I have at times placed the vehicle in 4x while tuning or the children have. Place controls on the left driver side as you have done on other models

Better fuel milage
By kellylag3

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab Z85 LS 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I get 500km per tank (17mpg). It doesn't matter if I am in the city 90km an hour or 120km. 500 ALWAYS. Ive had to issues with the truck at all! Parks better then a full size. Have not found any advantage to the 5 cylinder.

Favorite Features

size, style, layout of the inside.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage for a small vehicle. should of put a V6 in it.