2005 Chevrolet Colorado - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Colorado model:
Good truck for the money
By damone on 10/26/09 07:39 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS Base 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

Bought a 2005 used in Feb. of 2009, so far one problem a/c fan only working on high but dealer fixed under warranty. Besides that it drives well and gas mileage is pretty good for long trips as long us stay under 75mph. Also seems to handles very good in off road situations. Overall good value for money.

Very Reliable Truck - Trailers Great!!
By scott on 06/22/09 08:05 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab ZQ8 LS Base Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I have had pretty good luck with this Chevy. I bought it with 8K miles, and it now has 52K miles. I have driven across country with a boat trailer weighing 2500 lbs, as well as a camper weighing 3000 lbs, and also a camper weighing 4000 lbs. It pulled all of the trailers smoothly with no problem. It has the sport suspension package which helps great for handling. The longest drive with a trailer was about 600 miles, and it was the 4000 lb(24 ft) camper, I had no problem keeping it at 60-65 mph across KS and MO. I had the stabilizer bars on. It handles a trailer great with the added Class III hitch, aftermarket. Best gas mileage I had was 26mpg with full bed going 65mph.

Built Cheap 05 Colorado
By jsken on 04/15/09 14:26 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 2dr Regular Cab ZQ8 Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

This truck is cheaply built. I have had to replace the tires on it at 30K miles. Now they tell me I need to spend $1500-2000 on new brakes, shocks, struts, and tie rods. I have had the front end aligned once and it needs it again at 50K miles. The interior molding in the windshield was ruined after 1 year. Numerous rattles and squeaks. I would be ashamed as a manufacturer to sell this vehicle.

Good Little Truck
By Jon N. on 01/05/09 09:49 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Extended Cab Z85 LS 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I did a lot of homework before buying this truck and test drove most of the competitors. I liked the Colorado and it met my needs at least as well as any of the others, but I was concerned because of the poor reviews the "experts" had given it. I think the experts missed the boat on this one. I had a couple of rough spots with it right out of the box (electrical problems and front end alignment) but these were quickly corrected by my dealer and I have been very pleased with it for the nearly three years I have owned it. Performance, utility and appearance are excellent and it has done all I've asked of it. Don't be fooled by the poor reviews - this is a nice little truck.

Nice looking but too many problems
By PHOQUR on 11/13/08 17:05 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

Got this truck and it was great. The promise of an inline 5 engine to save gas seemed promising but it burns gas hard. The first thing to go bad was the air conditioning, it would just stop and only the highest speed (4) would work and the others would start when they want to. Then there was a problem where the brake lights would stop working, had to take it in to the dealer to fix these problems a lot and just the brake switch is OK now after we found there was a recall on the brake switch. The engine has this problem now that the dealer claims to have fixed twice where the RPM drops low/stalls and causes overheating cause engine fan spins too slow and the lights get dim.

40 months of great service
By mike on 09/28/08 15:51 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 2dr Regular Cab Z71 LS Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

Average 24 to 27 mpg. That's 50 hwy 50 city. Hauls all I need, drives great. Had crap general tires I replaced with BFG trail. 4 cyc 5 sp manual. Cheap cost, great value, will probably get another in 8 mo when this one's paid off

Nice small truck
By bart on 08/31/08 07:07 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Extended Cab Z71 LS 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

Gas mileage was at 18.5 mpg until i installed the k&n air filter, then mileage went to 21.5. Have used it to tow 6x12 U-haul trailers with amazing results, plenty of power and gas mileage stayed good. It's not like my old F-150 but more economocal to drive. Only had two warranty issues so far. Front sensor on ABS and squeaky rear brakes, which the dealer took care of both.

Nice but not like my prior 1997 c/k1500
By Dianne on 08/19/08 05:44 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab Z85 LS 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I wished I never traded my 1997 CK1500. That truck gave me hell of problems but was worth the 5.7 performance engine was issues were cleared under warranty. Not the fuel costs though. I put over 300k on that truck and decided to buy the 2005 Chevy Colorado with many of the bells and whistles to satisfy driving needs. Well, I made several complaints on the craftmanship build of the metal of this truck. It flexes way to much IMO on the highways. Got just thank you but Colorados are safe. Other than that, absolutely no mechanical problems, or body. Fuel cost vs my 97 difference is 3 gals per commute day. Performance, you can live with it for near v6 type engine I got.

GM fails again!
By dhectorg on 07/29/08 09:50 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab Z85 LS Base 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I grew up in a GM household and as an adult, I too only drove GM cars for years. Then I decided to try a Honda to see what all the fuss was about. I was so shocked by the superior quality and reliability that I never went back to American...until now. I needed a work truck and something to drive on camping trips. I honestly only bought the Colorado because it was so much cheaper than a comparable used Tacoma or Frontier. After 6 months of driving this truck, Ive decided to sell it and look for a Toyota or Nissan. I've had to repair the transfer case, replace the clutch, replace relays, replace windshield weather seal, etc. I'm going back to Japanese. I know I can count on their quality!

2005 that has given me no problems
By Debis on 07/14/08 19:31 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS Base Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

My daughter and I fell in love with the Colorado crew cab on first sight and I have not been disappointed. We drove it home the same day we laid eyes on it. Did the recall on the brake lights and dealt with the ac switch but I have had no other problems. It is a perfect size for me and my big yellow dog that thinks the truck belongs to him. Gas mileage is much better when I pay attention to my speed.