Used 2005 Chevrolet Colorado Z71 LS Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Colorado - Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific Colorado model:

A true American shops at home!
By George Bourque

2005 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z71 LS Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven the 05 Colorado 5cyl.w/auto & 3.43 gears for 2.5 yrs now w/no problems. I've personalized some w/16x8 American racing wheels that had counterbored to fit 2,5yrs now. Added SS fender trim to existing flares. SS bedrails and caps sprayed bedliner and many more mods. As to performance I've hauled 5000 lbs manlifts with this truck while loaded w/over 1200lbs of tools in the bed & cab. the tools have in the cab for allthis time and I still avg.19-21mpg. I add I'm not a litefoot driver. I would seriously consider in the future replacing this truck with another Colorado. Over the long run this one thing the X-perts are not the best source of info. you should speak to the horse's mouth.

Favorite Features

It's a Chevy

Suggested Improvements

The KN Cold airpack I added helps. Sprayedin bedliners should be factory installed. Factory chrome and SS trims should be made available. Everyone who see my truck thinks they can get one like it.It doesn't matter if there 25 or 65.

Almost perfect mid-size truck
By Ed

The Colorado has great pulling power as I am a landscaper and have no trouble consistently towing 3000+ pds.The gas mileage for city driving while pulling my trailer is a consistent 14 mpg.17 mpg if not towing in city.24 mpg in highway driving. I have the inline 5 cylinder engine, and it provides better acceleration than my 4-wheel drive,351cu.-in. full size truck! That truck gets 8mpg pulling trlr in city compared to my colorados 14mpg. The gas savings alone are paying for the chevy...The only drawback to this model is the seats are really not very comfortable, and the passing gear relly jerks your head rearward if you stomp on the gas to get around someone.My favorite part of truck is looks!

Favorite Features

Looks;gas mileage;pulling power;acceleration;performance;versatil ity for work or play.

Suggested Improvements

Refine shifting charecteristics; Refine cruise control to go along with smoother shifting while transitioning to passing gear so whip-lash would not be such a concern for me and my passengers; Redesign seats for more comfort;

Very pleasant surprise
By Matt Condran

I was tired of my older Nissan P/U, no power, no interior space and so on. I was going to buy a new Ford F-150, but after seeing a Colorado on the freeway I decided to go look at one. I was starting to get hooked on the looks of the Z71, then drove it and wow, the power of that small engine. Everything about it suited me perfect. Its been 9 months now and I'm happier than ever about buying it!

Favorite Features

1. Looks of my black LS Z71, 2. 5 cylinder 220 hp electronic advancing cams engine, 3. Gas mileage over a full size with a V8, 4. Smooth ride, I don't have to slow down for speed bumps.

Suggested Improvements

The bed could be made out of tougher metal. Better quality material for the seats.

Fun in Florida
By Joe in FL

I've had the truck for about 6 months now and it is awesome! The 3.5L is worth the money... if you like performance and fuel economy, that is. My city and 80mph highway driving continually averages better than 20mpg. This is good for me because I have a lead foot. The A/C is cold, and cools quickly (and I live in Miami). It looks very, very much like a Honda inside, and classy with silver accents, which is to say 'better than a Honda.' Maybe I'm easily pleased - go to a dealer and see for yourself. I'm trying to think of something bad to say about it.... (nothing yet).

Favorite Features

Exterior looks great.

Suggested Improvements

Better looking stock rims (which is a minor complaint). Optional 31"x10" all-terrain tires would be a nice option (as they fit fine and look fantastic with the Z71). My Magnaflow exhaust makes it sound like a big car but my fault for installing aftermarket stuff, I guess. It is an inline engine.

I love my truck!
By Leah

Before deciding to make the jump from fun car (my Mustang) to a small truck I did a lot of research on what was out there. The Colorado kept coming out on top, so when I went "shopping" I saved the Chevy lot until last. I found the Colorado to be the best built and best looking of all the trucks I looked at and drove. 3 months down the road I am as pleased today with the truck as the day I bought it, and with the dealership that sold it to me. I highly recommend the Colorado, and to those of you near Troy, Ohio; Joe Johnson Chevrolet. (I have the 4WD Z71 Extended Cab LS package in Superior Blue, its a beauty!)

Favorite Features

Well laid out/easy access to all controls. Quiet, smooth ride Beautiful, quality interior 5cyl. Vortec engine has lots of spunk when you need it, tows very well!!

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage, LOL, but the truck is true to the estimated mpg on the sticker.