2005 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Colorado model:
Don't Buy Chevy Colorado
By chvycolor05 on 03/19/12 18:21 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z71 LS 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I drive a 2005 Colorado and very, very sorry I purchased it. Here is the laundry list of problems with my truck, and all have resorted to one thing---money straight out of my pocket into a pit: 1. I am on my 3rd blower fan 2. The ABS light came on and cost hundreds of dollars to fix 3. Fuel cap light on (over $700 to fix) 4. Replaced ignition switch when truck could not drive over ~40mph. 5. Transmission has an extremely difficult time shifting out of 1st gear 6. There is a terrible musty smell during the summer when the AC is used. I have read to fix costs hundreds of dollars Overall disappointed and won't buy (or advise anyone) to purchase of this truck or other Chevy/GM product

I love it
By Ken on 12/26/09 05:08 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z71 Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this Colorado used 2 years ago. Other than normal servicing, all I have replaced is the battery at 5 years. I drove it home (550 miles) in a snow storm and got 24.0 on the first tank and 24.4 mpg on the second. In town I get between 20 and 21. The work truck the seats are non-reclining and terrible. I replaced them with a used set of very comfortable LT seats. Traction on the OEM General Ameritracs is terrible. I now have 74,000 miles and can not wear them out. I bought two General AT22 for this winter and the traction is unbelievable. I'll buy two more as soon as I wear out the original Ameritracs. I'm looking at a 2006 for my daughter this week. Great truck!!!

Good Little Truck
By Jon N. on 01/05/09 09:49 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z85 LS 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I did a lot of homework before buying this truck and test drove most of the competitors. I liked the Colorado and it met my needs at least as well as any of the others, but I was concerned because of the poor reviews the "experts" had given it. I think the experts missed the boat on this one. I had a couple of rough spots with it right out of the box (electrical problems and front end alignment) but these were quickly corrected by my dealer and I have been very pleased with it for the nearly three years I have owned it. Performance, utility and appearance are excellent and it has done all I've asked of it. Don't be fooled by the poor reviews - this is a nice little truck.

Nice small truck
By bart on 08/31/08 07:07 AM (PDT)

Gas mileage was at 18.5 mpg until i installed the k&n air filter, then mileage went to 21.5. Have used it to tow 6x12 U-haul trailers with amazing results, plenty of power and gas mileage stayed good. It's not like my old F-150 but more economocal to drive. Only had two warranty issues so far. Front sensor on ABS and squeaky rear brakes, which the dealer took care of both.

2005 Colorado
By Brad Wilson on 04/08/08 11:13 AM (PDT)

This vehicle's performance is much less than I expected. Gas mileage is nothing to brag about. The four wheel drive buttons are poorly designed in there location. The engine noise is terrible. And because of being unable to keep the front end lined-up, your tires only last around 15,000 miles. I will never again purchase a small Chevy pickup.

2005 Chevy Colorado Z71 Ext. Cab
By Dave on 03/10/08 11:48 AM (PDT)

Driving the vehicle on a day to day basis the gas mileage averages around 18 mpg. Lacking power in some conditions and interior is cheap. The vehicle has some excess noise as well inside. Overall though the vehicle is better than the majority of the competetion. I am 35 years old and this is my 48th vehicle. I have had Porsche's, Merc's, and all sorts of SUVs, trucks. This one is just fine and the competion is lacking in space, comfort, and overall fit and finish, especially on their exteriors.

Hoping For More
By pricezright on 01/13/08 18:15 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z85 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I talked myself into buying this Chevy because I didn't want to pay an extra 4K for the Tacoma. I tried to look past the Consumer Report ratings, but they are pretty much dead on. The gas mileage is not bad, but not great either for a 5 cyl. I average 18.5 MPG in the summer with a mix of hilly and flat driving. Winter (with warming the car up) it averages 15.5 MPG. Towing a small trailer isn't too bad, except going up hills. Handling is good. Extended cab access is good. I like the size of the truck. Interior is cheap, seats are cheap. I've had it to the dealer 3 or 4 times in less than a year, luckily the warranty covered it all. Bed feels like it's made of tin. Won't buy again.

A true American shops at home!
By George Bourque on 11/25/07 14:19 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z71 LS Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven the 05 Colorado 5cyl.w/auto & 3.43 gears for 2.5 yrs now w/no problems. I've personalized some w/16x8 American racing wheels that had counterbored to fit 2,5yrs now. Added SS fender trim to existing flares. SS bedrails and caps sprayed bedliner and many more mods. As to performance I've hauled 5000 lbs manlifts with this truck while loaded w/over 1200lbs of tools in the bed & cab. the tools have in the cab for allthis time and I still avg.19-21mpg. I add I'm not a litefoot driver. I would seriously consider in the future replacing this truck with another Colorado. Over the long run this one thing the X-perts are not the best source of info. you should speak to the horse's mouth.

Colorado proves to be a surprising ride!
By Gil H on 07/20/07 21:40 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z71 Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

At the time that I was shopping for a light duty truck I was impressed enough with the Chevy Colorado to take a chance at first glance. Sure there was a lot of history with US trucks in as much as how reliable they were compared to their Japanese competitors. For once, I'm happy to report that I was right (thank goodness!) in my initial assessment of this impressive vehicle. After 63,000 miles my truck still rides fine, has been hassle free and has made me a believer. It's been just what I'd hoped it'd be and a bit more. A no-nonsense, get me there-and-back, reliable truck. It's not as fancy as most the others but I have to say I'm really happy with my purchase.

Almost perfect mid-size truck
By Ed on 07/08/07 12:53 PM (PDT)

The Colorado has great pulling power as I am a landscaper and have no trouble consistently towing 3000+ pds.The gas mileage for city driving while pulling my trailer is a consistent 14 mpg.17 mpg if not towing in city.24 mpg in highway driving. I have the inline 5 cylinder engine, and it provides better acceleration than my 4-wheel drive,351cu.-in. full size truck! That truck gets 8mpg pulling trlr in city compared to my colorados 14mpg. The gas savings alone are paying for the chevy...The only drawback to this model is the seats are really not very comfortable, and the passing gear relly jerks your head rearward if you stomp on the gas to get around someone.My favorite part of truck is looks!

1 2 3 4 5 next »