Used 2005 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Colorado model:

Don't Buy Chevy Colorado
By chvycolor05

2005 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z71 LS 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I drive a 2005 Colorado and very, very sorry I purchased it. Here is the laundry list of problems with my truck, and all have resorted to one thing---money straight out of my pocket into a pit: 1. I am on my 3rd blower fan 2. The ABS light came on and cost hundreds of dollars to fix 3. Fuel cap light on (over $700 to fix) 4. Replaced ignition switch when truck could not drive over ~40mph. 5. Transmission has an extremely difficult time shifting out of 1st gear 6. There is a terrible musty smell during the summer when the AC is used. I have read to fix costs hundreds of dollars Overall disappointed and won't buy (or advise anyone) to purchase of this truck or other Chevy/GM product

I love it
By Ken

2005 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z71 Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this Colorado used 2 years ago. Other than normal servicing, all I have replaced is the battery at 5 years. I drove it home (550 miles) in a snow storm and got 24.0 on the first tank and 24.4 mpg on the second. In town I get between 20 and 21. The work truck the seats are non-reclining and terrible. I replaced them with a used set of very comfortable LT seats. Traction on the OEM General Ameritracs is terrible. I now have 74,000 miles and can not wear them out. I bought two General AT22 for this winter and the traction is unbelievable. I'll buy two more as soon as I wear out the original Ameritracs. I'm looking at a 2006 for my daughter this week. Great truck!!!

Z71 suspension, Posi-traction, Traction Control, Super ride

Get rid of the original General Ameritrac tires. Get rid of the computer controlled radio. It makes changing or upgrading radios very expensive.

Good Little Truck
By Jon N.

2005 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z85 LS 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I did a lot of homework before buying this truck and test drove most of the competitors. I liked the Colorado and it met my needs at least as well as any of the others, but I was concerned because of the poor reviews the "experts" had given it. I think the experts missed the boat on this one. I had a couple of rough spots with it right out of the box (electrical problems and front end alignment) but these were quickly corrected by my dealer and I have been very pleased with it for the nearly three years I have owned it. Performance, utility and appearance are excellent and it has done all I've asked of it. Don't be fooled by the poor reviews - this is a nice little truck.

The 3.5 engine is high-tech and gives great performance and mileage (always in the low to mid 20 mpg area on the highway.) Fit and finish is quite good, and although many have complained about the interior quality, I find it comfortable and very adequate for a pickup. Appearance is a plus, too.

The newer GM products have achieved a higher quality of fit and finish than this vehicle has. Although quite good, I think this could be improved to a point where it would compare with what they are turning out now (check the 2009 Malibu.) Maybe it already has improved on the newer Colorados.

Nice small truck
By bart

Gas mileage was at 18.5 mpg until i installed the k&n air filter, then mileage went to 21.5. Have used it to tow 6x12 U-haul trailers with amazing results, plenty of power and gas mileage stayed good. It's not like my old F-150 but more economocal to drive. Only had two warranty issues so far. Front sensor on ABS and squeaky rear brakes, which the dealer took care of both.

Nice radio system and easy use of interior controls.

Seats could be more comfortable for long drives. Four wheel drive selector switch is easily miss-hit while tuning radio.

2005 Colorado
By Brad Wilson

This vehicle's performance is much less than I expected. Gas mileage is nothing to brag about. The four wheel drive buttons are poorly designed in there location. The engine noise is terrible. And because of being unable to keep the front end lined-up, your tires only last around 15,000 miles. I will never again purchase a small Chevy pickup.

Great looking truck.

Engine: Design and noise. Interior: 4wd buttons access, seats, carpet grade Exterior: Stronger front suspension.