Used 2005 Chevrolet Colorado Z71 LS Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Colorado - Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab

View reviews for a specific Colorado model:

Bestest vehicle I ever owned
By persianguy40

2005 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

OK. I owned a 1987 VW Golf in the 90s. 1995 BMW 325is in late 90s. Ford sport trac 2001. Toyota Tercel 1993. Toyota Corolla 2005. Any finally my beloved 2005 4 door colorado 2-wheel drive. This is a perfect vehicle. Not too small, not too big. Looks good and aggressive. Engine sounds good, sporty, reliable. 5 cylinder engine sounds weird but it works great. Compared to my friends who have 6 or 8 cylinder trucks this truck is very easy on gasoline. I get 27 miles/gallon on freeway, and 22 on streets. Don't forget this is a truck, and you can do all things a truck can do with this awsome truck. I bouight the truck in 2007. It had 50,000 milies on it. Now it has 99,500.

Favorite Features

Reliability is very important to me, because I am an aircraft mechanic and have to drive from state to state for my job. I drove from Los Angeles to Atlanta with this truck. 4 people in the car, buynch of heavy stuff in on the truck bed, towing a very heavy full trailer...and for almost 4000 miles I had no problem. I drove from LA to Atlanta in the mids of summer. The only problem I had was that the battery overheated. THAT's IT!! This is the most reliable vehicle money can buy. In almost 5 years of ownership and almost 50,000 milies all I had to do was change battery and I recently put new breaks. Knock on wood the engine never gave me a problem, and I really worked that engine to the full.

Suggested Improvements

interior has some minor problems. Passengers in the back don't have enough legrooms for long distances. Remember I drove from LA to Atlanta with my parents, and It wasn't comfortable in the back. But for short distanced and considering this is a compact truck it is fine. Biggest problem with this truck is the small glove box... Mechanically this car never breaks down, and beside the small glove box i can't find any other problem to report...that and no legroom for passengers in the back seats.

Worst new vehicle purchase I've made
By kokomoan

2005 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I had the vehicle in for warranty work 11 times. Electrical problems since early on that the dealership said they couldn't find; replaced 5 headlamps, 4 brake lamps, and the majority of interior lights while still under warranty. Other items replaced: power window motor, heater control switch, rails for front seat. Today I took it to get u-joints replaced, third front end alignment, rear brake shoes. Mgr said these "shoes" were most expensive he has seen! He said all parts for it are high. Watch out if you need front rotors replaced; make inquiry!) gas mileage 13/15.(4 cyl, sticker said 18/25) At present, pwr windows, locks, mirror control, 5 int lights, 3 ext lights not working. 62K miles

Favorite Features

Easy to get in and out of, nice looking design, "oil catch" for clean oil changes, large 4 dr cab

Suggested Improvements

1. redesign front rotors, way too costly design when having to replace or turn them! 2. radio design (had to replace entire radio because of burned out "preset" lights) 3. Improve gas mileage, Silverados get better mileage!

Decent but could be better
By olcrank

2005 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

Everything about this truck is pretty good. Nothing is falling off, it handles and drives pretty well, it's good looking, just not exciting. Chevy could make a few changes and have a great truck instead of a bland truck.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage is good (for a pickup). Nice looking vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger glovebox. Dashboard cubbies would be nice. Bigger center console/armrest. Better seats. Dead pedal. Spend a few dollars Chevy! You could have a great truck!

I5 Colorado
By Jim

2005 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I bought the vehicle new and have had it 2.5 years. In that time an axle seal has failed twice, the a/c fan motor once and now it has the driver's window, door lock and fob problem. After a new BCM, fuse block and a $400 bill it still doesn't work. Seven times now I've fixed the problem by taking the door module out, spraying the contacts, put it together and all works fine - for a day or two. This is an ongoing problem with the Colorado that Chevy won't recognize. Also the thing sounds at 62000 miles like what my old Explorer did at 120K miles.

Favorite Features

It's a truck and it works, most of the time. For a truck the gas mileage is good, I get almost 20 on average. The little truck isn't a powerhouse with the I5 but it can tow light trailers fairly well.

Suggested Improvements

Move the 4WD button away from the air vents. It's perfectly located where if you touch anything on the dash, you can kick it into 4WD without meaning to. Also fix the wiring issues and problems.

Colorado
By Scott H

2005 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

Good truck, had rattles when first owned, dealer took care of with two visits. 17.5mpg city with A/C on, 18+ with A/C off, 22+ highway. Good little work truck. Rides like a truck.