2005 Chevrolet Colorado - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Colorado model:
DO NOT BUY THIS TRUCK
By chevysucks1 on 02/21/13 15:07 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab ZQ8 LS Base Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

The Chevy Colorado is an electrical nightmare. If you are considering buying this truck, leave the dealership immediately, and go buy a horse. This truck is complete garbage. The blower works, sometimes, the lights work, sometimes, the radio works, sometimes, and its all stems from GM having a terrible electrical system. I have read forums with people having these issues with the Colorado of any year. So, GM obviously doesn't care enough to fix the issues their vehicles have considering the electrical systems they install have been worthless for over a decade with no recalls. I would recommend buying from any other manufacturer.

Good truck
By coloradoguy615 on 09/26/12 11:31 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I own a 2005 Colorado Z71 LS Crew. She looks great and handles amazing. Can't say too much about the interior (very bland, but does the job). I've owned her for about a year now and I've only had to replace the brakes. For buying the thing with 100k miles and putting 19k on in 11 months it's very surprising. She handles great on and off road. Plenty of power in the I5. I wouldn't pass the 2005 model year up for any reason. Looks better than the 2012 IMO. I drove a Dodge for 10 years and a 1999 F150 for 6 years. I've been a loyal ford guy my whole life, this truck changed me to a chevy guy. Good truck, cheap to fix, easy to maintain.

Bestest vehicle I ever owned
By persianguy40 on 04/22/12 21:40 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

OK. I owned a 1987 VW Golf in the 90s. 1995 BMW 325is in late 90s. Ford sport trac 2001. Toyota Tercel 1993. Toyota Corolla 2005. Any finally my beloved 2005 4 door colorado 2-wheel drive. This is a perfect vehicle. Not too small, not too big. Looks good and aggressive. Engine sounds good, sporty, reliable. 5 cylinder engine sounds weird but it works great. Compared to my friends who have 6 or 8 cylinder trucks this truck is very easy on gasoline. I get 27 miles/gallon on freeway, and 22 on streets. Don't forget this is a truck, and you can do all things a truck can do with this awsome truck. I bouight the truck in 2007. It had 50,000 milies on it. Now it has 99,500.

Don't Buy Chevy Colorado
By chvycolor05 on 03/19/12 18:21 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Extended Cab Z71 LS 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I drive a 2005 Colorado and very, very sorry I purchased it. Here is the laundry list of problems with my truck, and all have resorted to one thing---money straight out of my pocket into a pit: 1. I am on my 3rd blower fan 2. The ABS light came on and cost hundreds of dollars to fix 3. Fuel cap light on (over $700 to fix) 4. Replaced ignition switch when truck could not drive over ~40mph. 5. Transmission has an extremely difficult time shifting out of 1st gear 6. There is a terrible musty smell during the summer when the AC is used. I have read to fix costs hundreds of dollars Overall disappointed and won't buy (or advise anyone) to purchase of this truck or other Chevy/GM product

Take this truck and ...
By Truckhound on 06/23/10 19:20 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 2dr Regular Cab Z85 Fleet Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

The truck I have is a company vehicle I've used since new. It only failed to start once and I only needed to wait 10 minutes to have it start. Reason unknown. This truck has been serviced regularly and performs flawlessly. Canadian winters are no obstacle as long as you have winter tires and keep a couple of sand bags over the rear axle for severe winters. If driven with a light touch the fuel economy is outstanding even with a decent load. The interior is very spartan cheap in fact. It is functional, the climate controls work well but I dearly miss a center armrest of some kind. There isn't much this truck won't do. You can take this truck, put it to task and it won't let you down!

my cool colorado
By John on 03/06/10 17:44 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab ZQ8 LS Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I bought my colorado with 43K miles from an auction. I really like it allot. I have a lower than usual RWD pick-up truck with a stock sport suspension and stock 17's so the ride is pretty.....well....sporty! I can say one thing, when this car is on the freeway going about 65 mph. you can't even feel it. It's very smooth, even though the acceleration is pretty darn right lazy for a 5 cyl. engine. Engine and transmission is a charm, good job GM (general motors). I love this truck, looks good and does the job. I can even use it as a family car since I have the crew cab. 5 adults can ride comfortably, and there is no problem putting a baby chair in the back.

Worst truck purchase ever!
By Stephen on 02/14/10 05:36 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab ZQ8 LS Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

In under 40,000 miles, I have had to change the clutch, have the brakes rebuilt, new tire rods, and live with the wonderful feeling of is the truck going to die on the way to work again. I am currently driving with the check engine light due to faulty vacuum seals. This truck has been used to haul items less than ten times and never over a thousand pounds. the vehicle rattles and does not drive nice, several of the dashboard lights have burnt out. Do not buy one of these vehicles they are not put together well.

I love it
By Ken on 12/26/09 05:08 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Extended Cab Z71 Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this Colorado used 2 years ago. Other than normal servicing, all I have replaced is the battery at 5 years. I drove it home (550 miles) in a snow storm and got 24.0 on the first tank and 24.4 mpg on the second. In town I get between 20 and 21. The work truck the seats are non-reclining and terrible. I replaced them with a used set of very comfortable LT seats. Traction on the OEM General Ameritracs is terrible. I now have 74,000 miles and can not wear them out. I bought two General AT22 for this winter and the traction is unbelievable. I'll buy two more as soon as I wear out the original Ameritracs. I'm looking at a 2006 for my daughter this week. Great truck!!!

Suspension
By wayne on 11/28/09 00:52 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

The vehicle was purchased in 07 with only 15k. .I drove it through the winter and summer without problem. Possibly ran 5k.In the fall of the year I was on a dirt trail, rough road for the weekend trip. Afterwards I had to replace the front ball joints as they had been worn. Also all four shocks were leaking fluid and I replaced those also. The original shocks are not much more than a piece of plastic covering a cylinder My neighbor had just purchased a new Colorado, 4 cylinder,two wheel drive (2009)and his shocks are the same as what I had. I have a 4x4 what is up with that? The factory shocks and front end parts are garbage.I replaced with after market .So much for Mr.Goodwrench

Better fuel milage
By kellylag3 on 10/27/09 19:35 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab Z85 LS 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I get 500km per tank (17mpg). It doesn't matter if I am in the city 90km an hour or 120km. 500 ALWAYS. Ive had to issues with the truck at all! Parks better then a full size. Have not found any advantage to the 5 cylinder.