Used 2005 Chevrolet Colorado Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Colorado - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Colorado model:

DO NOT BUY THIS TRUCK
By chevysucks1

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab ZQ8 LS Base Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

The Chevy Colorado is an electrical nightmare. If you are considering buying this truck, leave the dealership immediately, and go buy a horse. This truck is complete garbage. The blower works, sometimes, the lights work, sometimes, the radio works, sometimes, and its all stems from GM having a terrible electrical system. I have read forums with people having these issues with the Colorado of any year. So, GM obviously doesn't care enough to fix the issues their vehicles have considering the electrical systems they install have been worthless for over a decade with no recalls. I would recommend buying from any other manufacturer.

Scrap the entire electrical system and install a gerbil in a wheel. It would be more reliable.

Good truck
By coloradoguy615

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I own a 2005 Colorado Z71 LS Crew. She looks great and handles amazing. Can't say too much about the interior (very bland, but does the job). I've owned her for about a year now and I've only had to replace the brakes. For buying the thing with 100k miles and putting 19k on in 11 months it's very surprising. She handles great on and off road. Plenty of power in the I5. I wouldn't pass the 2005 model year up for any reason. Looks better than the 2012 IMO. I drove a Dodge for 10 years and a 1999 F150 for 6 years. I've been a loyal ford guy my whole life, this truck changed me to a chevy guy. Good truck, cheap to fix, easy to maintain.

Off Road Capabilities, easy fixes, parts are cheap.

Leather interior or at least more comfortable to drive in long distance. 200 mile drive and my back is killing me with that seat. But, it's a great work truck. Looks amazing too.

Bestest vehicle I ever owned
By persianguy40

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

OK. I owned a 1987 VW Golf in the 90s. 1995 BMW 325is in late 90s. Ford sport trac 2001. Toyota Tercel 1993. Toyota Corolla 2005. Any finally my beloved 2005 4 door colorado 2-wheel drive. This is a perfect vehicle. Not too small, not too big. Looks good and aggressive. Engine sounds good, sporty, reliable. 5 cylinder engine sounds weird but it works great. Compared to my friends who have 6 or 8 cylinder trucks this truck is very easy on gasoline. I get 27 miles/gallon on freeway, and 22 on streets. Don't forget this is a truck, and you can do all things a truck can do with this awsome truck. I bouight the truck in 2007. It had 50,000 milies on it. Now it has 99,500.

Reliability is very important to me, because I am an aircraft mechanic and have to drive from state to state for my job. I drove from Los Angeles to Atlanta with this truck. 4 people in the car, buynch of heavy stuff in on the truck bed, towing a very heavy full trailer...and for almost 4000 miles I had no problem. I drove from LA to Atlanta in the mids of summer. The only problem I had was that the battery overheated. THAT's IT!! This is the most reliable vehicle money can buy. In almost 5 years of ownership and almost 50,000 milies all I had to do was change battery and I recently put new breaks. Knock on wood the engine never gave me a problem, and I really worked that engine to the full.

interior has some minor problems. Passengers in the back don't have enough legrooms for long distances. Remember I drove from LA to Atlanta with my parents, and It wasn't comfortable in the back. But for short distanced and considering this is a compact truck it is fine. Biggest problem with this truck is the small glove box... Mechanically this car never breaks down, and beside the small glove box i can't find any other problem to report...that and no legroom for passengers in the back seats.

Don't Buy Chevy Colorado
By chvycolor05

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Extended Cab Z71 LS 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I drive a 2005 Colorado and very, very sorry I purchased it. Here is the laundry list of problems with my truck, and all have resorted to one thing---money straight out of my pocket into a pit: 1. I am on my 3rd blower fan 2. The ABS light came on and cost hundreds of dollars to fix 3. Fuel cap light on (over $700 to fix) 4. Replaced ignition switch when truck could not drive over ~40mph. 5. Transmission has an extremely difficult time shifting out of 1st gear 6. There is a terrible musty smell during the summer when the AC is used. I have read to fix costs hundreds of dollars Overall disappointed and won't buy (or advise anyone) to purchase of this truck or other Chevy/GM product

Take this truck and ...
By Truckhound

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 2dr Regular Cab Z85 Fleet Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

The truck I have is a company vehicle I've used since new. It only failed to start once and I only needed to wait 10 minutes to have it start. Reason unknown. This truck has been serviced regularly and performs flawlessly. Canadian winters are no obstacle as long as you have winter tires and keep a couple of sand bags over the rear axle for severe winters. If driven with a light touch the fuel economy is outstanding even with a decent load. The interior is very spartan cheap in fact. It is functional, the climate controls work well but I dearly miss a center armrest of some kind. There isn't much this truck won't do. You can take this truck, put it to task and it won't let you down!

Simplicity (not to be confused with cheap), excellent reliability and fuel economy.

Simplicity is a good thing that would be better if some of the materials were of higher grade.