Used 2004 Chevrolet Colorado Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Colorado - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Colorado model:

Colorado Not Good
By James Zapalac

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab ZQ8 LS Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

Too many problems for under 70,000 miles. Cruise control had to be replaced, CD player ate a CD, had to be replaced. Recall on anti- locking brake light, manifold just crack, must be replaced, and AC is about to go out- just a matter of time. American car companies are forcing me to buy foreign. I have never bought a foreign vehicle before, but American made are not reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Need to be more reliable. Stop breaking down. Better gas mileage is always a good idea

Complaint free
By Chris

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I've had this truck 2.5 yrs. and have put roughly 135,000 miles on it and thinking about a new 2007 replacement. Needless to say, with all the miles I've put on my truck, with no repairs needed, with the exception of two minor warranty repairs, this truck has been virtually trouble free. There is nothing wrong with the interior. It is what it is somewhat plain but extremely tough sensible hard plastic save for the cloth seats and well laid out. The exterior styling still impresses me as the best looking mid size crew cab on the road.

Favorite Features

The automatic when manually shifted is great when going down slippery hills in the winter

Suggested Improvements

The wheel well trim and mudflaps on the Z71. I think it is different on the newer ones

Sled tower
By blaine

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Extended Cab Z71 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

the truck has been 100% reliable with 110,000 km on it. Average fuel economy has been 23.5 mpg. I did not care for the factory seats so I upgraded them to buckets with a console. I use the truck alot for towing snowmobiles on a trailer up mountain roads and for work. the truck has also performed well off road when required.

Favorite Features

Engine has good towing power and the drive train has taken alot of abuse and is still very solid. The locking differential and 4wd system seems to work well off road

Suggested Improvements

The seats from factory stink. The inline 6 engine in the TrailBlazer would be a nice option.

FIrst Year Mistake
By justin04

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Extended Cab ZQ8 Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

Absolutely horrible experience. Engine has failed twice. Exhaust system has failed twice.Transmission system failed once. GM covered exhaust and transmission, but fails to stand behind their engine. Vehicle only has 32k miles, 2nd engine failure at 20 months old.

Favorite Features

The engine has good power as long as it stays functional.

Suggested Improvements

Better build quality and a manufacturer that will stand behind their work within their warranty.

Not bad
By divo006

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 2dr Regular Cab ZQ8 Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2004 ZQ8 a couple months ago. I was rather iffy about it since it was only 2wd and winter coming. I like the fact that I'm one of few with the 3.5L I5. It's a quick little truck and the gas mileage ain't too bad either considering I drive 60 miles or so a day. If you want something to use as utility I wouldnt recommend this truck, but as for small jobs it's perfect. I haul my quads and what not no problem. Interior could use a little work. Exteriors not bad..flashy. Rides a little rough.

Favorite Features

Style, not bad with a few upgrades

Suggested Improvements

Overall interior, suspension