Used 2004 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Colorado - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Colorado model:

Complaint free
By Chris

2004 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I've had this truck 2.5 yrs. and have put roughly 135,000 miles on it and thinking about a new 2007 replacement. Needless to say, with all the miles I've put on my truck, with no repairs needed, with the exception of two minor warranty repairs, this truck has been virtually trouble free. There is nothing wrong with the interior. It is what it is somewhat plain but extremely tough sensible hard plastic save for the cloth seats and well laid out. The exterior styling still impresses me as the best looking mid size crew cab on the road.

Favorite Features

The automatic when manually shifted is great when going down slippery hills in the winter

Suggested Improvements

The wheel well trim and mudflaps on the Z71. I think it is different on the newer ones

It's no Tacoma!
By llamawalker

2004 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS Base 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I bought this truck to replace a 2002 Toyota extended cab 4x4,v6. After almost 3 years of ownership that decision is haunting me. The Chevy does tow better and is more stable on the road, and I think it looks 100% better than the Tacoma, but that's where it ends. From the start the A/C wasn't cold. 2 trips to the dealer fixed the problem...leaking valve. Next it was the trailering wire harness,fried up. The dealer harvested a part out of a 2005 on the lot. Between those problems it ate the front tires up. Misaligned from the factory....not covered by warranty. All this with 23000 miles. At 42000 the entire throttle body and throttle position actuator were replaced. Boo,GM....BOO!!

Favorite Features

Looks

Suggested Improvements

I checked the 2007's and GM finally ponied up to put a keyhole on the passenger door. Good job guys...only took 3 model years.

Ford Lover buys a Chevy
By Happy_Driver

2004 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

Been driving Fords all my life, purchased this 2004 in 12/06 with 90k miles. Wow GM you did it this time. What a great truck. Fun to drive, tight as the day it was made. Put a sno way plow on it. Great truck! Sorry no more Fords for me!

Favorite Features

Love this truck. The I-5 motor is a nice fit. Also has great traction.

Ouch
By JA

2004 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I was pretty pleased with my Colorado until recently. I purchased it new 2.5 years ago. Great ride. Great gas mileage. Good in the snow. The starter had to be replaced after 6 months. My check engine light recently came on. Took it to the dealership. They tell me a cylinder needs replaced. $3,000+. Whoa! Of course the warranty has expired too. This shouldn't happen. The truck isn't that old and I hear of others with the same problem.

Engine Problems
By C Amey

2004 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I had one of the cylinders worked on after 2 months and now after 2 and a half years need to have the entire cylinder head replaced - $4,000, of course out of warranty and with no help from GM. To be honest that's only the start of all the problems that I've had with the vehicle. The quality and reliability on this vehicle stinks along with GM customer service. I'll never by another GM.

Suggested Improvements

Reliable vehicle. Replace the cheap plastic junk inside the vehicle.