Used 2004 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Colorado - Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab

View reviews for a specific Colorado model:

376,000 miles and still running perfect
By Curtis

2004 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

My '04 Colorado Z71 crew cab has 376,000 as of yesterday and looks like it did when I got it except for the cracks in the windshield. The rear end wore out and had all the stuff inside it replaced at 360,000 for $1800.00. Engine does not use any oil I use Amsoil in the engine transmission and rear end. I am going to replace the tires soon this will be the 3rd set this set of tires has almost 160,000 miles on them. If you want to stop cupping on the inside of your front tires have them align the front tires straight up and down and keep air pressure about 40-42 pounds.

Favorite Features

It takes me every week over 1500 + miles and gets me back home safe and sound and still gets 22-25 mpg. :)

Suggested Improvements

Clone my truck and make a commercial to show how a American made vehicle can last like the imports do.

dont buy chev colorado
By sweet98092

2004 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I have a 2004 chev colorado 3.5 L 4x4 crew cab z-71. Don't buy this truck they are junk. I have replaced the tranny at 86,000 miles. The electric driver window and heater fan control don't work. Engine has a low noise knock, and for some reason I have to replace the battery every 6 - 8 months. Fake leather on passenger seat is coming apart

Favorite Features

Push button 4x4 ans limited slip , 20 mpg

Suggested Improvements

Reliability!!!!

Fun, sporty ZQ8
By fatherof1

2004 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab ZQ8 LS Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I wasn't a big fan of crew cab Colorado's (small bed), but having a baby forced me into one. However, I feel this is the best truck for me and have been won over! My Colorado has room for my family and just about anything else we need to haul. Right after purchasing we had some problems with the traction control. After 6 trips back to the dealer they finally found a wire that had the insulation rubbed thru which was causing the system to ground. This was very frustrating and worrisome at first but the truck has been fine since. The 220 hp 5 cyl and ZQ8 package gives this truck a very sporty feel and is fun to drive.

Favorite Features

ZQ8 package (17" wheels, 5 cyl, bucket seats). XM radio has been great!

Suggested Improvements

Front brake set up pretty much forces you to have brakes done at the dealership. My S10 and Sonoma were easy to do brakes on. The Colorado's set up is a disappointment. Rear disc brakes and aux imput for the radio would be nice. MPG has been ~20 for me. ~25 MPG or better would be ideal.

My 04 has been great
By Bill

2004 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z85 LS Rwd SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the Colorado to move the kids in and out of college apartments. Also to carry bikes and haul small fishing boat. I have the 2 wheel drive with limited slip rear axle. With snow tires on the rear its great in the snow. I just came back from picking up a 850lb trailer in Colorado. I got 26 mpg going out and 22.7 on the way home with the trailer. I drive the speed limit. This truck has been flawless over the last 5 years. Z85 suspension is bouncy if its empty. But with a small load (120lbs)in the rear it rides smooth. The value of this pickup is its reliability and low cost.

Favorite Features

Limited slip and snow tires are a good alternative to 4wd option. Unless you are off-roading. Inline 5 has good power and great gas mileage. The folding back seats are just the right height and flat for sliding in groceries.

Suggested Improvements

I would prefer no chrome or silver trim in the interior. Needs slidding visor like my other car.

Please watch out Z71 Crew Cab LS 4WD
By workless

2004 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I bought new in 7-03, thought that since the S-10's this would be better. This is single-handedly the worst vehicle I ever owned out of 10+ GM products. The 5 cylinder had no power and even worse fuel economy. The worst is the front end, Isuzu product that is junk. Replace your front brake rotors and you'll know what I mean - the design is ridiculous. The GM book rate is 6+ hours to remove a rotor. Then the flex hose to the rear brakes broke down internally and the micro rubber particles jammed up the rear brakes and the ABS system. I traded it in before I paid the approx $1700 for the replacement. I called GM with this complaint, they never called back! Premium gas only or sensors lit daily

Favorite Features

Front seat was fairly comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the engineers that designed this truck! Get rid of the Isuzu front end. Get some low end in the motor. Put better brake components on it. Make it capable of using regular fuel without all the motor sensors coming on due to fowling. GM wouldn't make the dealership refund my repl gas cap $s