Used 2004 Chevrolet Colorado Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Colorado - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Colorado model:

2004 Chevrolet Colorado
By Larry Newton

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab ZQ8 LS Base Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

My wife and I really enjoy our new Colorado as a second vehicle. We selected it because of its very comfortable ride,the ease of entering and exiting the vehicle, and its hauling capacity. It is giving a good 28 MPG on the road and 19 MPG in town. The five cylinder engine has terrific acceleration especially when needed to enter Atlanta's interstates. I recently read Consumer Report on the Colorado, and I think CR totally mis- represented the vehicle. We tried and my son bought a Toyota Tacoma. After test driving the Toyota and driving my son's Toyota, I still like the Colorado for its comfortable ride, acceleration, mileage, and ease of getting in and out.

Comfortable ride, acceleration, ease of entering and exiting, and hauling capacity for its size.

Exterior trim could be enhanced.

Too many problems for a brand new truck
By zach

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

Hood came loose and rattled horribly when idling. Brake lights and running lights have burnt out twice. Towing light plug didn't work fist time I used it. Half the interior lights have quit working and two speakers have blown. I'm not hard on my vehicle. I do put a lot of miles on it, but it gets regular maintanence. I should not have to take it in for warranty work 4 times in the first year. Simply inexcusable. It's fun to drive when everything actually works! What problems can I expect in the future?

Torque, gas mileage, smooth ride for a compact truck.

Quality and craftsmanship leaves something to be desired.

2004 Colorado Z71 very disappointing
By clevelandgirly

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I have had one problem after another with this truck. Started with feeling an air leak in the doors/windows on passenger side, then the heater fan would squeek, then the windows needed new regulators, then it wouldn't start and would buck when trying to turn over, then the a/c needed serviced when it had never been used before. I was told that a Service Bulletin was issued regarding these problems. Now its difficult to start at times and shakes when it wont turn over. A new truck with less than 13,000 miles on it shouldn't have this many problems, nor should it have been in the shop 6 times in 9 months. Shame on GM/Chevrolet. I am taking this one to arbitration. What a disappointment!

The 4 wd is great in the snow, getting out of bad situations like steep inclines on streets or drives, it holds its own. The tow hooks in the front are great for pulling people out of ditch.

GM should repurchase all of the Colorados with these "Service Bulletins" problems instead of having their customers go back and forth to the Service Dept. over and over and/or leaving customers wondering when the next relay is going to act up and leave them stranded at the side of the road.

Everybody makes mistakes
By Norbert

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS Base 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

After 18,000 miles and 3 General tire failures, a new set of Goodyears were recently put on. I still get a vibration between 45 & 65 mph. The airconditioning failed and it took a week to fix. Front bucket seat is uncomfortable. Very little leg support. My elbows are raw from the lack of padding on arm rest and center console.

Digtal radio & CD player. Fuel economy. High towing capacity. Overall appearance.

Excessive vibration needs to be addressed in the Z71 4x4 crew cab. Add creature comfort regarding bucket seats. Larger seat and more padding. Arm rests need to be padded. More under seat and side panel storage.

Great truck
By roosevelt jones

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I love the truck. I will buy another Chevy because of this truck. This is my first Chevy that I have ever owned. I am 100% happy with my truck. My wife love the truck also. I bought her a Honda Accord and she still loves to jump into my truck...

The size and handling

Improve the inside. It's hard on the eyes.