2004 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Colorado model:
You get what you pay for.
By coloradoguy719 on 10/30/11 23:45 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

Besides the archaic styling, I really love the truck (113k miles). For those that complain about the power/interior space; buy a full size. Plenty of pep for a compact truck. I've hauled a lot of weight in this girl and she doesn't mind it much. I bought the CO because the Dakota had a hungry V8, the Ranger is tiny and the Taco and Frontier were about 2k more, plain and simple. It drives like a small SUV; smooth and easy on the blacktop. With a decent pair of shoes it takes the KS mud and CO snow with ease. The mpgs are great for most pre gas hike vehicles, not just trucks, about 18 city at 6500 ft. If you need a layman's truck for the occasional moving day or trash haul, the Colorado is it

dont buy chev colorado
By sweet98092 on 01/03/10 18:55 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I have a 2004 chev colorado 3.5 L 4x4 crew cab z-71. Don't buy this truck they are junk. I have replaced the tranny at 86,000 miles. The electric driver window and heater fan control don't work. Engine has a low noise knock, and for some reason I have to replace the battery every 6 - 8 months. Fake leather on passenger seat is coming apart

Please watch out Z71 Crew Cab LS 4WD
By workless on 08/18/08 10:23 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I bought new in 7-03, thought that since the S-10's this would be better. This is single-handedly the worst vehicle I ever owned out of 10+ GM products. The 5 cylinder had no power and even worse fuel economy. The worst is the front end, Isuzu product that is junk. Replace your front brake rotors and you'll know what I mean - the design is ridiculous. The GM book rate is 6+ hours to remove a rotor. Then the flex hose to the rear brakes broke down internally and the micro rubber particles jammed up the rear brakes and the ABS system. I traded it in before I paid the approx $1700 for the replacement. I called GM with this complaint, they never called back! Premium gas only or sensors lit daily

Solid performer
By tommyg22 on 01/10/08 03:21 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

Overall I have to say that I really enjoy the look and ride of this truck although I did have to replace the coil pack at about 66,000 (No big deal 250.00) other than that I really don't understand the other reviews about lack of power. The inline 5 plenty of power and if I put my foot down I can roast the rears all day long. Thanks for a good one Chevy!

Complaint free
By Chris on 04/20/07 17:51 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I've had this truck 2.5 yrs. and have put roughly 135,000 miles on it and thinking about a new 2007 replacement. Needless to say, with all the miles I've put on my truck, with no repairs needed, with the exception of two minor warranty repairs, this truck has been virtually trouble free. There is nothing wrong with the interior. It is what it is somewhat plain but extremely tough sensible hard plastic save for the cloth seats and well laid out. The exterior styling still impresses me as the best looking mid size crew cab on the road.

Ford Lover buys a Chevy
By Happy_Driver on 02/24/07 19:51 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

Been driving Fords all my life, purchased this 2004 in 12/06 with 90k miles. Wow GM you did it this time. What a great truck. Fun to drive, tight as the day it was made. Put a sno way plow on it. Great truck! Sorry no more Fords for me!

Ouch
By JA on 02/02/07 10:23 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I was pretty pleased with my Colorado until recently. I purchased it new 2.5 years ago. Great ride. Great gas mileage. Good in the snow. The starter had to be replaced after 6 months. My check engine light recently came on. Took it to the dealership. They tell me a cylinder needs replaced. $3,000+. Whoa! Of course the warranty has expired too. This shouldn't happen. The truck isn't that old and I hear of others with the same problem.

Engine Problems
By C Amey on 01/24/07 21:08 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I had one of the cylinders worked on after 2 months and now after 2 and a half years need to have the entire cylinder head replaced - $4,000, of course out of warranty and with no help from GM. To be honest that's only the start of all the problems that I've had with the vehicle. The quality and reliability on this vehicle stinks along with GM customer service. I'll never by another GM.

Good truck, but noTacoma
By DT Colorado on 01/03/07 16:36 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I bought my '04 Colorado Crewcab Z71 4WD used with 20,000 miles. I think it's the best US build compact crewcab truck. Overall I like the truck. GM did a good job with the design and it's a good driving truck. So for I've had to replace a headlight assembly, front axle seal and CV shaft, and the auto dimming/compass rear view mirror. All were warranty repairs but it seems odd given the low mileage. I really wanted a Tacoma. I guess should expect a few problems since I saved approx. $6000-$7000.

No problems
By Rock on 12/29/06 16:01 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

The Colorado has been a pleasure to own. Have had no mechanical problems, fuel economy has been respectable, and it is easy to handle in tight spaces. 220 horsepower from the 3.5 motor was adequate. With the locking hard cover it was a pleasure on trips. Plenty of space for all sorts of gear and luggage. Off road ventures no problem plenty of clearance.