Used 2004 Chevrolet Colorado Z71 LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Colorado - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Colorado model:

Could be a great truck if GM consider quality.
By marcut

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I bought this truck used in 2005 and wondered why it was in a Used car lot at less than 1 year old. All kinds of electrical problems such as door locks/power windows not working but then start working after 2 weeks to a month. Dealer couldn't figure out problem and replaced under warranty BCM that didn't seem to fix problem. Transmission is hit and miss and often searches for gear to shift with pedal all the way to floor. Replaced 2 parking brakes at less than 50K. Have had two instances where brakes failed to stop and only a pulating sensation could be felt on dry road. 4WD HI setting doesn't work even after dealer tried to fix it. Stalling problems including hwy speeds. Hood comes loose.

Inter may be cheaply made but seats are comfortable and there is plenty of room, body design looks nice along with the bright red paint color. Privacy Glass is standard I believe on this truck when others consider it optional.

Fix transmission and electrical problems. Lift truck bumper a few inches since rear trailer hitch often hits ground and I damage front bumper after striking curb to avoid accident braking bottom part of my bumper. Better quality components such as parking brakes, plastic interior items. Make anti-slip rear differential standard. A bigger engine would also be nice. Better support from dealer and staff who seem to be unable to figure out what is causing electrical problems with truck replacing BCM and other parts. Better quality parking brakes, this is the first time I've ever had to replace parking brakes on a truck and done it twice! Fix possible problems with brakes pulsating & won't stop.

376,000 miles and still running perfect
By Curtis

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

My '04 Colorado Z71 crew cab has 376,000 as of yesterday and looks like it did when I got it except for the cracks in the windshield. The rear end wore out and had all the stuff inside it replaced at 360,000 for $1800.00. Engine does not use any oil I use Amsoil in the engine transmission and rear end. I am going to replace the tires soon this will be the 3rd set this set of tires has almost 160,000 miles on them. If you want to stop cupping on the inside of your front tires have them align the front tires straight up and down and keep air pressure about 40-42 pounds.

It takes me every week over 1500 + miles and gets me back home safe and sound and still gets 22-25 mpg. :)

Clone my truck and make a commercial to show how a American made vehicle can last like the imports do.

04 Colorado Z71 LS
By Dave

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

We like the truck and the quality overall is very good to excellent. No service problems, a few things replaced (A/c switch and a recall on the stop lights) but overall very good. I get 17-18 MPG everday driving, which I thought would be better, but is livable. Good offroad traction for 2wd with locking differential.

Excellent exterior design, good power for the inline 5, drives smooth.

The rear seats sit a little too straight up, but the kids never complained. Wheel design is a little of a pain to wash.

Good fueleconomy truck!!
By BJ

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

If you are looking for a great-good truck, this is it. Runs good looks good and I get 24.87 miles per gal. Driving 60 mph. with the A/C on.

The look and the 24.87 per gal

I would like to have just a little more horsepower. It does not sound to good when the engine is cold at first startup. But sounds good after just a few minutes.

Little truck, big performance
By cbc

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

With 30,000 miles around the corner I still get a smile on my face when I drive my Colorado. I drive 35 miles one to work so it pays to have a good looking truck that gets a 24 mpg average and comfortable too. Reliabilty isn't a worry for me because it just feels like a solid little truck.

I like the mean front end styling. It's also nice that you can get the Z71 package without paying the 4WD price. Traction control helps out alot on the Arizona desert trails.

More horsepower, active fuel management, and E85 compatible.