2004 Chevrolet Colorado - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Colorado model:
Could be a great truck if GM consider quality.
By marcut on 06/13/12 02:55 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I bought this truck used in 2005 and wondered why it was in a Used car lot at less than 1 year old. All kinds of electrical problems such as door locks/power windows not working but then start working after 2 weeks to a month. Dealer couldn't figure out problem and replaced under warranty BCM that didn't seem to fix problem. Transmission is hit and miss and often searches for gear to shift with pedal all the way to floor. Replaced 2 parking brakes at less than 50K. Have had two instances where brakes failed to stop and only a pulating sensation could be felt on dry road. 4WD HI setting doesn't work even after dealer tried to fix it. Stalling problems including hwy speeds. Hood comes loose.

376,000 miles and still running perfect
By Curtis on 03/30/10 21:09 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

My '04 Colorado Z71 crew cab has 376,000 as of yesterday and looks like it did when I got it except for the cracks in the windshield. The rear end wore out and had all the stuff inside it replaced at 360,000 for $1800.00. Engine does not use any oil I use Amsoil in the engine transmission and rear end. I am going to replace the tires soon this will be the 3rd set this set of tires has almost 160,000 miles on them. If you want to stop cupping on the inside of your front tires have them align the front tires straight up and down and keep air pressure about 40-42 pounds.

04 Colorado Z71 LS
By Dave on 04/22/08 19:10 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

We like the truck and the quality overall is very good to excellent. No service problems, a few things replaced (A/c switch and a recall on the stop lights) but overall very good. I get 17-18 MPG everday driving, which I thought would be better, but is livable. Good offroad traction for 2wd with locking differential.

Good fueleconomy truck!!
By BJ on 06/13/07 22:07 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

If you are looking for a great-good truck, this is it. Runs good looks good and I get 24.87 miles per gal. Driving 60 mph. with the A/C on.

Little truck, big performance
By cbc on 04/13/06 17:57 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

With 30,000 miles around the corner I still get a smile on my face when I drive my Colorado. I drive 35 miles one to work so it pays to have a good looking truck that gets a 24 mpg average and comfortable too. Reliabilty isn't a worry for me because it just feels like a solid little truck.

Good Midsize Truck
By adamp*diddy on 04/03/06 06:07 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I was looking for a decent midsize truck when I stumbled across my Colorado. I had not seen one before and mine had just rolled off the tractor trailer. I test drove it with the plastic still on the seat. I have had almost no issues with it at all. It handles all the work I throw at it. Dont let the 5 cylinder put you off. It has get up and go. Good truck I would buy another one.

Best step down from a full size
By tonkatruk on 03/22/06 04:54 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

After driving a full size truck for many years I was skeptical at first if I would like this truck. By now I have enough time in the saddle to say I haven't given up much at all. The engine is smooth and powerful enough for my needs and the extended cab is great for family trips and taking friends out. I get lot's of comments from people who like the trucks looks and it draws many inquiries as to my satisfaction with it. Needless to say, I give big smiles to a nicely packaged vehicle priced reasonably. If your looking to haul a 5000 pound trailer I'd have to point you in the direction of a full size as the I-5 doesn't have that much pulling power, but as a Lowes hauler it is more than enough

Only Good Things From This Chevy
By Donald Erickson on 01/23/06 20:39 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I love my Colorado! It looks good, drives nice, 25 mpg highway with a 3.5 engine, I like the power, comfertable ride, and it is a very solid feeling truck. I don't know of another truck I would rather have at this time. Three adults in the back bench seat without being to crouded. Just like the commercial! Problem free going onto 14,000 miles The only thing I found is that it has problems with icy roads whith wind. 50mph off the road into a farm field with the rear in a drain ditch, no harm done! Any vehicle is going to have problems on ice, so I can't bring the truck down for that. Great truck at a good value, just take it slow on ice.

Love it!
By jason on 12/12/05 21:02 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I love this truck. I bought a used 2004 Colorado Crew Z-71 with every option except leather and sunroof. I had looked at Tacomas and Frontier, but they cost as much as a full size truck. I personally think my truck looks better than both of those as well. I traded in my 99 Ranger and the difference is night and day, power comfort and quite. It's an amazing truck and I was able to pull my boat out of the water no problem.

Too many problems for a brand new truck
By zach on 09/01/05 21:44 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr Crew Cab Z71 LS Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

Hood came loose and rattled horribly when idling. Brake lights and running lights have burnt out twice. Towing light plug didn't work fist time I used it. Half the interior lights have quit working and two speakers have blown. I'm not hard on my vehicle. I do put a lot of miles on it, but it gets regular maintanence. I should not have to take it in for warranty work 4 times in the first year. Simply inexcusable. It's fun to drive when everything actually works! What problems can I expect in the future?