Snowing in July?? Paint is flaking everywhere!
By blueextc3221 on
2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)
Purchased NEW 2009 Garage kept Cobalt LT Black coupe. After only 6 months - clearcoat on aluminum rims bubbling and flaking. Steering wheel/system rattles & thunks over small bumps after about 10K miles (same problem as my '06). Recall "fix" made no difference. I Drive a lot. 64K of today's writing... just noticed a half-dollar sized area of paint bubbling on the roof.... and chrome on the inside passenger door handle that is NEVER used is bubbling. I know I drive a bunch - but these are cosmetic issues GM will not cover after 36K warranty is up. I have 36K in the first 6 months!! Cheap car with cheap plastic parts - and paint issues not isolated to Cobalt. Black is bad on Camaros too.
Favorite Features
Peppy engine. Nice body styling - but horrible paint. Roomy Trunk. Leg room - I am 6'4" and seat is NOT all the way back.
Suggested Improvements
Paint, clearcoat, and chrome plating is awful. Issues with the clunking in the steering have affected 2005 - present models - FIX IT!! Paint on master switch peeling. All interior is cold and plastic. Cheap construction. Will not be purchasing Chevy again.
By dumdonn
on 11/17/11 14:49 PM (PST)

bought a NEW 09. several recalls. repaired under warranty/ power steering pump and transmission clip. Ignition will not turn off, ignition replaced (glad I was close to dealer. took them four days) Both keys later malmunctioned/replaced on out of state trip in 20 minutes. steering column coupling rattle/replaced(four more days). hubs all rattle/factory recommends quiet tape on all four hubs. transmission shift level replaced. AND R U READY FOR THIS REVELATION? i started to trade it and found out it had been wrecked at factory and took 3 months of phoning customer service( a waste of your time) and finally fedexed CEO, Pres., and VP of GM in Detroit to get action. District Mgr of Los Angeles said the car had not been repainted or repaired(six pros in business and paint and body shops all disagree and so would you). Besides, "BY LAW, we do not have to inform buyers of any hidden damage. Car too old to help u if we(GN) could(still under bumper to bumper warranty 23,000 miles)." CEO and top level called me and after two weeks are standing by policy. "We do not have to inform you, BY LAW. dealers and transporters do have to inform by law but we do not. goodbye." this is FRAUD and I will never by a GM product again. local dealers are having to eat costs. GM in court trying to negate all warrantties on cars sold before bankruptcy. I am having to sue and go online to inform public and GM knows this.