Used 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Short-time review
By JJR60616

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My expectations going in were low. I was just looking for a new car to replace my S10 Pickup my daughter beat up in a couple accidents. Looked for cheap cars, best rebates, something simple. Was pleasantly surprised at the handling, features, fit & finish and performance of the 2009 Cobalt.

Performance is great, like that when I step on the gas it picks up and goes fast. No worries on freeway merge. Like the onboard computer monitoring. OnStar in case I need it is nice too.

Move the armrest forward a bit. Too far back for using it as an armrest.

Shame about the style.
By Charles

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

So, one of the most boring faceless cars on the US roads has a hidden heart. its fun to drive, Cheap to own and a good value.I own a 08 Mini, an 08 F150 and find the Manual version of this car nearly as much fun as the Mini and more so than the Ford. BUT drive with care.mine has 29000 miles and is already falling to pieces. its back at the dealers again where they are replacing more of the steering assembly. the chrome has dropped of the interior handle and the door locks are sticking.. ALL IN ALL... its still a good cheap car. the discounts are great.

GREAT Value to own....Sporty as a stickshift. roomy and functional. love the information buttons based in the steering wheel.

Design, this car is more boring than a 50yr old black and white movie.... i just cant imagine that someone went to design school and this is what they dreamt of...ITS the automotive design equivalent of a lump of lead. CHEVY..TRY HARDER

2009 cobalt
By John Frank

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Car looks and handles alright and mileage is very good. The problem I am having is the exhaust system makes lots of noise when you turn off the car and the pipes cool off. Two dealers have told me this is normal, but this is way to loud and needs to have a fix. Has anyone else had this problem and had a dealer fix it?

Good looks and good mileage

Better exhaust setup, better shift lever on automatics, arm rest on front seats

Nice for the money
By Mike_in_PVD

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

It's quieter than my 07 Honda Civic. So far no problems. I have 8000 miles on it. Gas mileage on the highway is very good. I can maintain 40 mpg on a relative lt flat highway at 60 mph. I do not like the spare tire. There is none. Chevy now provides an air compressor with a bottle of stop leak attached to the compressor. What happens if I get a flat when it's 20 degrees outside? What happens if I get a blowout? I'm going to start calling junk yards for a real spare tire. It will fit in the spare tire wheel well. So why not just provide a real spare and a jack?

Comfortable. Handles relatively well.

A REAL SPARE TIRE!!! Heated side mirrors that collapse.

I am very sad.
By John

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2009 Cobalt LT sedan two weeks ago. It is beautiful Sport Red Tint with Grey interior. After putting just 149 miles on it, the electric steering started making a death wail each time I turned a corner. The car now sits at the dealership. When they hooked up the diagnostic computer to it, TWENTY possible error codes came back. Fortunately, my salesman is letting me select another car, which is a shame, because I really liked that one. The 2009 rental Cobalt I am in drives perfectly with 31,000 miles on it. Maybe I just lucked out in getting the lemon?

Love the trip computer, XM radio and larger seats of the LT package. Was getting fairly decent mileage, however, after just 5 days and 149 miles, it is hard to build a case for.

Dump the electric steering, some woodgrain trim on the dash would be nice.