2009 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:
Great Car
By Mark on 06/10/09 12:08 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Cobalt LT sedan for a while now. I love it. Its perky, handles well and gets fantastic mileage. I had a Saab 9-3 before and I like the Cobalt seats much more than those in the Saab. I'm glad I bought American this time, also.

Great Commuter Car and Fun To Drive
By Freddie on 05/27/09 15:33 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

For the past two months I have been happy to get into my 2009 Chevy Cobalt and drive. There are three things that have impressed me about this car the most, and they are the quietness of the cabin, the strength of the engine at 155 HP and the transmission, being how smooth it is and quiet. There is little to no wind noise at 80 MPH, the engine really responds well and has great passing power when you need it. And the transmission is so smooth whether you are going up or down hills or just cruising on the freeway. The base sound system is great and the steering wheel radio controls make it easy to control when driving. There is plenty of cabins space for a two door.

decent value
By petras on 05/26/09 09:38 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I did not test drive other brands, so I don't know how this one would compare but with gm rebates/incentives it's a good buy, good acceleration, good ride and fairly quiet, with auto trans. getting around 29 mpg combined city/hwy, poor rear vis. in the coupe version, esp with spoiler, so far with 5K mi., no reliability issues, check with your insurance co. re: premiums, may be higher than you expect, esp. for the 2 door version..

GREAT BANG FOR THE BUCK
By JOHNC352 on 05/24/09 11:46 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt SS 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have had this car less than a week and I love it. Engine power is great and the handling is very tight.Very good brakes. the sound system is very good also. Things that I don't like. Small fuel tank, only 13 gal and the fuel economy isn't that great but I hope that it will better after being broke in. Chevrolet needs to redesign the interior. To much cheep looking plastic. Also after I got my car home I discovered that the underhood liner was missing! Now this car went through at least half a dozen quality control people plus the dealership new car PDI and no one caught it! How the dealership handles this problem is yet to be seen.

Cobalt XFE Is The Real Deal!
By Ethan on 04/28/09 15:09 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I just purchased my new 2009 Cobalt XFE sedan. I have not seen many of the XFE packaged cars in the sedan bodystyle, so I assume that it is pretty rare. My car is the very base model LS, and the only option I purchased was floormats. It is a very comfortable driving car. It is surprisingly quiet inside (I've been told the sedan version has more headroom and is slightly quieter if that sways your decision). The engine power is great. I have 700 miles on the car and got an average of 40.7 MPG!!! That was on a 60 mile round trip of windy country roads and getting stuck in a little traffic. The mileage amazes me!

New Cobalt
By Dan on 04/01/09 14:56 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I really like my new car. I was looking at Focus and Cobalt. For the price, I just could not say no. I drive a long ways for work and I needed a quality car I can depend on. This was a good deal and I am getting around 34 to 35 mpg round trip, going over hills and all. The extras I get with this car, XM radio, ONStar, hands free phone and the price, I just could not say no.

The SS actually stands for "SS"
By Blake on 04/01/09 12:58 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt SS 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I'd been eyeballing the SS Cobalt when it was supercharged. However, instead of purchasing it, I bought a 2007 Subaru Forester, XLT. (turbocharged) I turned 50 and decided it was time for my midlife crisis car. So, I added the 2009 Cobalt SS Turbocharged to my stable. I use my SS Cobalt as a commuter vehicle. Part of my commute is on a narrow winding road perched on the side of a canyon. The car is amazing on that road and I look forward to the drive. After the 14 miles of twisting road, everything else is boring. The car has an excellent ride. Oddly enough, the car rides better than the Subaru. I get a combined 28.5 mpg with the car and I don't drive conservatively.

Ford Girl, turns Chevy
By michelle n on 03/28/09 13:43 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I recently traded my 2003 Ford Explorer for the 2009 Chevy Cobalt LT XFE 4-door sedan, in sport red, with a manual 5 speed transmission. I love the way this car rides and handles. I especially love the mpg this car gets, I travel 40+miles, six days a week, and I'm averaging 29.9 mpg. Compared to my Explorer, this is like getting gas for half price. Considering this is a compact car, it is extremely roomy, with quite a large trunk. I can't believe how quietly this car travels, with no road noise to be heard. The OnStar is a plus also. Great car for the price. I love it!

39 Mpg right from the Start!
By buffalo Balt on 03/27/09 08:56 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I looked at a few different cars in this class and ended up buying a great Cobalt XFE. The interior door panels are in need of new materials and and a better design. The Chrome door handle and storage are great but the Plastic is so rough you can grate cheese on it. That is the only dislike however about this great car. I looked at an 09 Corolla and that interior looked extremely cheap and was full of bad plastics & poor fitting panels. The cost of the Corolla 5 speed was 14,500 rock bottom price. The Cobalt with all the same equipment plus onstar and XM radio was $11,000 before tax. PLUS the Cobalt is getting 39 mpg in mixed driving &ts not even broken yet. The Cobalt is the way to go.

So far so good
By Cher on 03/26/09 14:48 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Only had car for a few weeks, so I will write another review in a year. I may not know much about this car yet, but I do know that the gas mileage is fabulous. Better than any 4 cylinder compact car I have owned. However, that only goes for the manual transmission LS models. The manual transmission is fun to drive, it shifts smoothly and the engine is peppy. Great if you need to pass someone. The trunk is roomy but the back seats are not. Overall I do like this car.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt in VA is:

$130 per month*