Used 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Cobalt
By Rich D

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned Toyotas for the past 12 years and I thought I would give an American Car a try. The Cobalt ride is great and the interior noise is super quiet for a small car. I am not impressed with the interior quality but I think the car has nice exterior lines. Gas mileage for city highway is right around 29 MPG... This car can accelerate! If this car is reliable I will continue to buy American. Overall a nice little car!

Favorite Features

Quiet Interior Ride. Great acceleration!

Suggested Improvements

More quality in the interior.

Nice car
By himoses

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Car had surprising acceleration for its class. The car was also extremely quiet and had low road noise. The feedback in the steering is adequate at best. The braking is good and the gas mileage is acceptable. I averaged 29 MPG in hard mixed driving. I could get 35 MPG if this were not a rental and I did not pound it. I don't like the interior materials, but it is sufficient for most people. I also wish the car had on wheel audio controls. This is a very simple, clean, and functional car if you do not need to use the back seat. I generally do not like GM, but this is a nice car for the right price. Better to rent this than to own IMHO.

Favorite Features

The seats are fairly good. The seats are fairly comfortable. I am a big guy (5,11" 270) and had a surprising amount of room.

Suggested Improvements

The back seat is TINY. If you have your seat back, you will only be able to get a toddler in there at best. Look elsewhere if you have kids to haul. Handling was uninspired. The trunk has a small opening. I could see this being a hassle for those that have to haul things.

Better than expected
By donna

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I would never have considered the cobalt prior to driving it as a rental. I was impressed by the headroom, handling, and quiet firm ride when on a parkway at speeds 60+ I also felt the seats were very comfortable and supportive and the car was overall "fun to drive". I would definitely consider purchasing this car particularly in view of their competitive pricing

Favorite Features

The stereo and air conditioning and controls were so much better than my volkswagon passat.

Suggested Improvements

The fabric seats seemed to soil easily and trunk was not as roomy as I would like. Also mileage seemed much lower than expected

Love my car!
By Wikia

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is the first vehicle I have purchased on my own, and I am very happy with it. I wanted something simple, but my dealer located a car for me with the sports package, a lot of fun extras. I traded in my old Chevy Blazer for a more fuel efficient and safer car, and I am so glad I did. About a month and half after I purchased my car someone ran a red light and t-boned me. Both myself and my passenger were ok, and I credit that to my car. The time that my car was in the shop, I missed it. Before buying my car I test drove Honda's and Ford's, but with this car you get a lot of "bang for your buck": power, safety, fuel efficiency, comfort, etc. I think I made a very smart (and safe!) choice.

Favorite Features

Safety, driver's controls, the way it handles, small but roomy, simplicity in the design of the controls and radio, one-year standard OnStar, I get 29MPG in mixed driving, the price

Suggested Improvements

There's a big trunk, but a small trunk opening, you might have to fold down the seats and put bigger items in through the door. Not a lot of cabin storage areas, just a small console and small glove box.

Cash for Cluncker Deal
By lesrice

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan XFE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

After driving a Fit, Yaris, Soul, G5, and a Focus, the only thing left out there after week one of cash for clunkers were manual Cobalts. It compared well with the other models and got better fuel economy (posted). The G5 had more features for the price, but they were the first cars gone by day 4. The Cobalt doesn't have all the features of the other vehicle, but it does have a trip computer, On Star and XM radio. With rebates, the price was 12,500 before my 4,500 cash for clunkers taking the price to 8,100. I can live with what it doesn't have for that kind of money. Time will tell and I will follow up with future post as we observe real world mileage and wear and tear.

Favorite Features

XM Radio,air,5 speed manual

Suggested Improvements

Larger trunk opening.