2009 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:
My Cobalt
By Mrs.P on 11/04/09 06:36 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Cobalt 38 days ago. I only have 803 miles on the car. I get 23.3 MPG... seems low but I work 2 miles from home and don't do any highway driving. Work, home and the grocery store is the extent of where I take my car.One tank of gas lasts me 2 weeks. I took my cobalt on the highway one time and got 40 MPG so I know I don't get as good millage because I drive such short trips. I am very happy with my purchase. I spent 15,000. My only complaint is when the A/C is on, my dash vibrates a little when I am driving slow in a parking lot or backing out of a driveway or sitting at a light! Other than that its great. This is my first new car and I would recommend a Cobalt to anyone!

Not the same car as the 2005-2007 models
By GMcustomerNoMore on 10/23/09 20:04 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Used to have a 2005 LT: features, fit and finish were impeccable! Based on my experience, I bought a 2009 LT2 sight-unseen. First impression was the downgraded interior materials: silver plastic replaced wood-grain, vinyl for chrome, lower-quality leather. Engine compartment and trunk soundproofing were dropped so much noisier than the '05. Trunk lid does not sit flush and gaps between body panels vary widely. Trunk floor sags where spare tire well cover was eliminated. Center cap fell off after 2 weeks, a clicking noise developed in a rear door after 1 mo, molding above the driver's door peeling back after 5 mo and sunroof rattling after 6 mo. Goodwrench said irreparable under warranty!

Love the XFE
By Jeff on 10/13/09 14:53 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Yellow XFE coupe for about 4 months and 10,000 miles. I commute about 120 miles per day and average 38.5 and 39.1 MPG...you have to love that! The car is very comfortable and has great pickup when it's time to hit the on ramps. I was about to buy a civic, but saved myself 6 grand and get better mileage. I expect it will be a great car for years.

Happy Camper
By Happy Customer on 09/30/09 11:37 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought new in early '09, had a '01 Malibu w/ over 260k mi. Wanted the XFE, 1LT package. It took a bit to find car. after delivery, I found it comfortable, roomy for that size of car, great mileage, 36 has been my low, 40.9 has been high. I drive 150 a day, commuting to work. gas usage went from 5 gal a day to 3.2. started with Mobil 1 a 5k mi. went 11.2k to second oil change. I drive at 60 - 65mph, keep foot off the floor, expect over 200k and not a lot of cost. good car! also set up car for towing behind motorhome. Great Towed

Love the ride
By Thomas bacot on 09/26/09 10:11 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Looked at several different makes, toyota lost out quick due to price and quality, Honda was impressive as was the price. Drove the Cobalt several times, loved the car over all, drive train sold me. After 6000 miles of driving I still love to get in and go. Gas mileage is amazing, trunk opening is small.Interior is OK, what can you expect for the price,Fur. It is durable and should last. I'm Happy and its made in the good old USA

Two months later
By Happy Camper on 09/20/09 21:29 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

With just over 2200 miles, I'm noticing the MPG going up.. average has gone from 31 to 35. Acceleration is a real kick, and with the windows now tinted black, this little white coupe looks even sharper. A/C works like a champ, and cools the car in about a minute with fan speed initially set at 3. From there it drops to 1, or it's too cold.. and we're talking So. Ariz. The engine runs cool.. about 195 in the heat of the day. The ride is great, and was complimented by a friend who drives a Volvo. I love this car, and as an old motor head, I rate it right at the top with some of my past hot rods and trucks, even my Sentra. Killer mileage, and it doesn't get hot. What a relief.

Steering problem at around 7k to 10k
By PKRochesterNY on 09/16/09 21:22 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The Company I work for bought four new 2009 Lt cobalt and each has had the steering column replaced at about 7k to 10k miles. The powering steering stops working making turning into parking spots (repetitively very hard). The steering wheel itself just does weird stuff and then the car needs repair. Other little things stop working too. Like the light showing what gear in, does not work. The head rest is in a awkward position too. Many people that sit in the seat immediately notice the head rest hitting their head in an odd way.

A Driver's Car
By sr001 on 09/07/09 08:07 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt SS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Car is engaging, it communicates through the steering wheel, suspension and exhaust sound. It does not attract attention, the interior does not communicate (steering wheel blocks freeway speeds and generally no useful notification system, trust onStar). Step on the throttle and it accelerates very quickly, no 'bad boy' behavior, just the rush. On curves, following instinct only, the posted speed limit is generally exceeded (significantly). As a passenger, it is a Chevy Cobalt. It's not a great family car, except that everyone in the family wants to drive it.

Cobalt
By Rich D on 09/05/09 18:32 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned Toyotas for the past 12 years and I thought I would give an American Car a try. The Cobalt ride is great and the interior noise is super quiet for a small car. I am not impressed with the interior quality but I think the car has nice exterior lines. Gas mileage for city highway is right around 29 MPG... This car can accelerate! If this car is reliable I will continue to buy American. Overall a nice little car!

Nice car
By himoses on 08/21/09 08:11 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Car had surprising acceleration for its class. The car was also extremely quiet and had low road noise. The feedback in the steering is adequate at best. The braking is good and the gas mileage is acceptable. I averaged 29 MPG in hard mixed driving. I could get 35 MPG if this were not a rental and I did not pound it. I don't like the interior materials, but it is sufficient for most people. I also wish the car had on wheel audio controls. This is a very simple, clean, and functional car if you do not need to use the back seat. I generally do not like GM, but this is a nice car for the right price. Better to rent this than to own IMHO.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt in VA is:

$130 per month*