2009 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

2009 Cobalt Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Sort Reviews by

Great littel gas saver
By Lisa

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought my Cobalt with 35,000 miles. I'm already impressed. I drive quite a bit and this car can drive forever on one tank of gas. I love the exterior.

Favorite Features

Picks up speed quick and saves a lot of money on gas compared to my old 6 cylinder

Suggested Improvements

More comfy seats, although the original are good with lumbar support, I'll probably eventually add some memory foam cushions.

2009 Chevy Cobalt LT
By Thomas

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car to replace my 02 VW Passat because it was starting to cost me anywhere from $1000 to $2000 every other month in repairs. The Cobalt reminds me of a cross between Toyota Corolla and a Toyota Yaris without the dorky exterior of a Yaris. It drives fairly well and has zero blind spots.

Favorite Features

MPG, can turn almost on a dime

Suggested Improvements

Different interior. American cars all seem to have this weird plastic interior that neither looks cool or is that sturdy.

dissatisfied
By robert minnie

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

l purchased this cobalt last august and have not been happy with it, very poor gas mileage, rated for 48 and l get no more than 25/26, back seat leg room is real small, l feel embarrassed to take anyone with me, other than these little annoyances the car is ok, wouldn't buy another one

Favorite Features

interior design except leg room in back

Suggested Improvements

improve the leg room and get better gas mileage.

crossing my fingers
By Bob

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I like the looks, the gas mileage and the price was affordable. A wheel cap fell off at 10K and at 19K miles, the steering column is being replaced for the second time! Each time for a different noise. I bought this car new, thinking I wouldn't have to worry about car repairs for awhile. I am now second guessing how much it will cost in repairs once the warranty is up.

Favorite Features

tire pressure monitoring, 1 free year of XM radio, great gas mileage, rear fold down seat to expand trunk use

Suggested Improvements

replace cloth with washable material on interior doors

Short-time review
By JJR60616

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My expectations going in were low. I was just looking for a new car to replace my S10 Pickup my daughter beat up in a couple accidents. Looked for cheap cars, best rebates, something simple. Was pleasantly surprised at the handling, features, fit & finish and performance of the 2009 Cobalt.

Favorite Features

Performance is great, like that when I step on the gas it picks up and goes fast. No worries on freeway merge. Like the onboard computer monitoring. OnStar in case I need it is nice too.

Suggested Improvements

Move the armrest forward a bit. Too far back for using it as an armrest.

Shame about the style.
By Charles

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan XFE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

So, one of the most boring faceless cars on the US roads has a hidden heart. its fun to drive, Cheap to own and a good value.I own a 08 Mini, an 08 F150 and find the Manual version of this car nearly as much fun as the Mini and more so than the Ford. BUT drive with care.mine has 29000 miles and is already falling to pieces. its back at the dealers again where they are replacing more of the steering assembly. the chrome has dropped of the interior handle and the door locks are sticking.. ALL IN ALL... its still a good cheap car. the discounts are great.

Favorite Features

GREAT Value to own....Sporty as a stickshift. roomy and functional. love the information buttons based in the steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

Design, this car is more boring than a 50yr old black and white movie.... i just cant imagine that someone went to design school and this is what they dreamt of...ITS the automotive design equivalent of a lump of lead. CHEVY..TRY HARDER

I am very sad.
By John

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2009 Cobalt LT sedan two weeks ago. It is beautiful Sport Red Tint with Grey interior. After putting just 149 miles on it, the electric steering started making a death wail each time I turned a corner. The car now sits at the dealership. When they hooked up the diagnostic computer to it, TWENTY possible error codes came back. Fortunately, my salesman is letting me select another car, which is a shame, because I really liked that one. The 2009 rental Cobalt I am in drives perfectly with 31,000 miles on it. Maybe I just lucked out in getting the lemon?

Favorite Features

Love the trip computer, XM radio and larger seats of the LT package. Was getting fairly decent mileage, however, after just 5 days and 149 miles, it is hard to build a case for.

Suggested Improvements

Dump the electric steering, some woodgrain trim on the dash would be nice.

Not the same car as the 2005-2007 models
By GMcustomerNoMore

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Used to have a 2005 LT: features, fit and finish were impeccable! Based on my experience, I bought a 2009 LT2 sight-unseen. First impression was the downgraded interior materials: silver plastic replaced wood-grain, vinyl for chrome, lower-quality leather. Engine compartment and trunk soundproofing were dropped so much noisier than the '05. Trunk lid does not sit flush and gaps between body panels vary widely. Trunk floor sags where spare tire well cover was eliminated. Center cap fell off after 2 weeks, a clicking noise developed in a rear door after 1 mo, molding above the driver's door peeling back after 5 mo and sunroof rattling after 6 mo. Goodwrench said irreparable under warranty!

Favorite Features

Heated seats, on-star, USB port on radio, steering-wheel audio and cruise controls, trip computer, premium audio.

Suggested Improvements

Don't cheapen-up cars in order to protect the bottom-line! This car was NOT the same car as the 2005: a SIGNIFICANT downgrade! Worst showing from GM I've ever seen. Best thing to happen to me was when it was totaled in a crash with a semi. After 30 loyal-to-GM years, I'm getting a Honda Civic.

Love the ride
By Thomas bacot

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Looked at several different makes, toyota lost out quick due to price and quality, Honda was impressive as was the price. Drove the Cobalt several times, loved the car over all, drive train sold me. After 6000 miles of driving I still love to get in and go. Gas mileage is amazing, trunk opening is small.Interior is OK, what can you expect for the price,Fur. It is durable and should last. I'm Happy and its made in the good old USA

Favorite Features

Information center

Suggested Improvements

Larger trunk opening and rear seats fold down more

Steering problem at around 7k to 10k
By PKRochesterNY

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The Company I work for bought four new 2009 Lt cobalt and each has had the steering column replaced at about 7k to 10k miles. The powering steering stops working making turning into parking spots (repetitively very hard). The steering wheel itself just does weird stuff and then the car needs repair. Other little things stop working too. Like the light showing what gear in, does not work. The head rest is in a awkward position too. Many people that sit in the seat immediately notice the head rest hitting their head in an odd way.

Favorite Features

The xm radio is nice. The Onstar service is nice too. The get up and go on the car is good.