2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:
Great littel gas saver
By Lisa on 07/28/10 12:57 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought my Cobalt with 35,000 miles. I'm already impressed. I drive quite a bit and this car can drive forever on one tank of gas. I love the exterior.

2009 Chevy Cobalt LT
By Thomas on 04/22/10 20:55 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car to replace my 02 VW Passat because it was starting to cost me anywhere from $1000 to $2000 every other month in repairs. The Cobalt reminds me of a cross between Toyota Corolla and a Toyota Yaris without the dorky exterior of a Yaris. It drives fairly well and has zero blind spots.

dissatisfied
By robert minnie on 02/22/10 04:25 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

l purchased this cobalt last august and have not been happy with it, very poor gas mileage, rated for 48 and l get no more than 25/26, back seat leg room is real small, l feel embarrassed to take anyone with me, other than these little annoyances the car is ok, wouldn't buy another one

crossing my fingers
By Bob on 02/18/10 20:11 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I like the looks, the gas mileage and the price was affordable. A wheel cap fell off at 10K and at 19K miles, the steering column is being replaced for the second time! Each time for a different noise. I bought this car new, thinking I wouldn't have to worry about car repairs for awhile. I am now second guessing how much it will cost in repairs once the warranty is up.

Short-time review
By JJR60616 on 01/13/10 12:00 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My expectations going in were low. I was just looking for a new car to replace my S10 Pickup my daughter beat up in a couple accidents. Looked for cheap cars, best rebates, something simple. Was pleasantly surprised at the handling, features, fit & finish and performance of the 2009 Cobalt.

Shame about the style.
By Charles on 01/11/10 15:06 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan XFE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

So, one of the most boring faceless cars on the US roads has a hidden heart. its fun to drive, Cheap to own and a good value.I own a 08 Mini, an 08 F150 and find the Manual version of this car nearly as much fun as the Mini and more so than the Ford. BUT drive with care.mine has 29000 miles and is already falling to pieces. its back at the dealers again where they are replacing more of the steering assembly. the chrome has dropped of the interior handle and the door locks are sticking.. ALL IN ALL... its still a good cheap car. the discounts are great.

I am very sad.
By John on 11/22/09 12:22 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2009 Cobalt LT sedan two weeks ago. It is beautiful Sport Red Tint with Grey interior. After putting just 149 miles on it, the electric steering started making a death wail each time I turned a corner. The car now sits at the dealership. When they hooked up the diagnostic computer to it, TWENTY possible error codes came back. Fortunately, my salesman is letting me select another car, which is a shame, because I really liked that one. The 2009 rental Cobalt I am in drives perfectly with 31,000 miles on it. Maybe I just lucked out in getting the lemon?

Not the same car as the 2005-2007 models
By GMcustomerNoMore on 10/23/09 20:04 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Used to have a 2005 LT: features, fit and finish were impeccable! Based on my experience, I bought a 2009 LT2 sight-unseen. First impression was the downgraded interior materials: silver plastic replaced wood-grain, vinyl for chrome, lower-quality leather. Engine compartment and trunk soundproofing were dropped so much noisier than the '05. Trunk lid does not sit flush and gaps between body panels vary widely. Trunk floor sags where spare tire well cover was eliminated. Center cap fell off after 2 weeks, a clicking noise developed in a rear door after 1 mo, molding above the driver's door peeling back after 5 mo and sunroof rattling after 6 mo. Goodwrench said irreparable under warranty!

Love the ride
By Thomas bacot on 09/26/09 10:11 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Looked at several different makes, toyota lost out quick due to price and quality, Honda was impressive as was the price. Drove the Cobalt several times, loved the car over all, drive train sold me. After 6000 miles of driving I still love to get in and go. Gas mileage is amazing, trunk opening is small.Interior is OK, what can you expect for the price,Fur. It is durable and should last. I'm Happy and its made in the good old USA

Steering problem at around 7k to 10k
By PKRochesterNY on 09/16/09 21:22 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The Company I work for bought four new 2009 Lt cobalt and each has had the steering column replaced at about 7k to 10k miles. The powering steering stops working making turning into parking spots (repetitively very hard). The steering wheel itself just does weird stuff and then the car needs repair. Other little things stop working too. Like the light showing what gear in, does not work. The head rest is in a awkward position too. Many people that sit in the seat immediately notice the head rest hitting their head in an odd way.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan in VA is:

$136 per month*