Used 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

DRIVERS BEWARE!
By vlk

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Driving on I-10 on a clear morning, going at 70 mph, not sleepy, not distracted... the 2009 Chevy Cobalt I was driving started to swerve uncontrollably, then went off to the grassy embankment & rolled on its side at least twice. It finally landed on its passenger side against some small trees. The front wheel broke off along with its axle. The airbags did not deplore. Miraculously no one was seriously hurt! I was lucky, but no telling how the next accident of this sort will end up. GM is totally unresponsive & denies any responsibility. Something had to be wrong with the vehicle! There was just no other explanation. This is not about law suits. It is about consumer safety! BEWARE

Few Problems
By javaanimal

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Speakers are.. well, they're there. LS Coupe is considered a sports car (Grr..) and it lacks a lot of power my 2000 Malibu had. The front of it is dated.. but the body itself is magnificent. It says 25 mpg BUT my readings say 23. The LS I purchased has no cruise control or power windows/doors. BUT. For the price of this car, it's great. Fun fun to drive once you get up in mph and it hugs the curves with its spoiler. Breaks are great, it turns heads, and you get away with people believing you're in a sports car. This is NOT for tall/wide people. It's a very narrow car. It is GREAT for safety- everything is solid.

Safety, looks, feel, higher speeds, steering, suspension, air-conditioning, and compact-ness.

More storage, better looking front end, better sound system, cruise comes standard, and bigger trunk (or remove more of the back.)

Fun First Car
By mizmwise

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Cobalt new and have put 56,000 miles on it. I love it! I'm religious about servicing it and have had zero mechanical problems. I get 40 mpg highway easily. For a relatively inexpensive car it handles great and has decent power. I live where it gets cold as hell in the winter and it starts every morning, and it does alright on the snow and ice. There is pretty limited storage space, and the blindspots are pretty significant. Everything seems pretty solid still. Of course there are little rattles here and there, but nothing crazy. Everything has stayed pretty tight and sealed up. The ride on the highway is smooth and fairly quiet. Overall, I think this is an awesome car!

XM Radio, nice exterior styling, reliable

More interior storage

Good car for a good price
By s1l3nt_1nc

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

A good relieable fun to drive car for a good price. However I have run into some minor cosmetic issues. I have a Automatic LT model and the red light that shows you what gear you are in is stuck. The plastic clip that you press to change gears broke off and my trunk light no longer works. However it runs great and is fun to drive. Gas mileage is OK but could be better. Overall good for the price. One more bit of advice. Get a spare key! If your battery dies and you try to start the car your key will be stuck in the ignition until you can jump the battery. There is a way to manually get the key out but you would have to get into the steering colum to press a tiny button which is hard to see.

Good sound system. Sleek design.

More leg room for back passengers.

Snowing in July?? Paint is flaking everywhere!
By blueextc3221

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased NEW 2009 Garage kept Cobalt LT Black coupe. After only 6 months - clearcoat on aluminum rims bubbling and flaking. Steering wheel/system rattles & thunks over small bumps after about 10K miles (same problem as my '06). Recall "fix" made no difference. I Drive a lot. 64K of today's writing... just noticed a half-dollar sized area of paint bubbling on the roof.... and chrome on the inside passenger door handle that is NEVER used is bubbling. I know I drive a bunch - but these are cosmetic issues GM will not cover after 36K warranty is up. I have 36K in the first 6 months!! Cheap car with cheap plastic parts - and paint issues not isolated to Cobalt. Black is bad on Camaros too.

Peppy engine. Nice body styling - but horrible paint. Roomy Trunk. Leg room - I am 6'4" and seat is NOT all the way back.

Paint, clearcoat, and chrome plating is awful. Issues with the clunking in the steering have affected 2005 - present models - FIX IT!! Paint on master switch peeling. All interior is cold and plastic. Cheap construction. Will not be purchasing Chevy again.