2009 Chevrolet Cobalt SS - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:
Cupholders!
By britt369 on 12/18/10 21:57 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt SS SS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I absolutely love this car, its great as a family vehicle BUT the cup holders are TERRIBLE! they are not deep enough for coffee mugs or say a large coffee from dunkin donuts. around sharp turns they spill and fall over every time!

One year after review! Problems a plenty
By vahdyx on 10/22/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt SS SS 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I'd like to educate some with the flaws. The problems I'm experiencing after a year of owning this car has been a pain. Cylinder 4 misfire after 1000 miles, MAP Sensors fail especially after getting the optional "GM Stage 1 kit", Intermediate steering shaft rattles, condensation in headlight, rear brake pads scoring rotor, plastic charge pipe cracking due to extreme weather, thud when shifting into gear, etc. I have taken this car to get warranty work more than any other car I've owned. It's getting old. I don't recommend the SS unless you know your way around a car. After my warranty expires, I anticipate selling, but unfortunately, this car has poor resale value. Maybe I'll start tuning it

Little Demon Car
By Kevin on 07/23/10 14:23 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt SS SS 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

First off, I always get tons of crap from my buddies when I tell them I got a cobalt until I take 'em for a ride. Amazing power for such a little car and the brakes stop on a dime. Only real problem is everywhere I go, people try to race me lol

Super fun to drive
By scooter on 01/31/10 11:17 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt SS SS 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This little car has definitely impressed me, its performance form acceleration to cornering to brake is incredible especially considering the rear axle is only a semi independent solid axle.I work on cars for a living and have done so for 20 years,the amount of power this engine produces for its size is amazing. Also amazing is the fuel economy, combined driving around 25mpg. I do not baby this car by any means and it still amazes me too get 33 mpg at 70mph on the highway. I highly recommend it,its not real cheap to own since tires are ultra hi performance and around $150 each and up.Its well worth it tho.

A Driver's Car
By sr001 on 09/07/09 08:07 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt SS SS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Car is engaging, it communicates through the steering wheel, suspension and exhaust sound. It does not attract attention, the interior does not communicate (steering wheel blocks freeway speeds and generally no useful notification system, trust onStar). Step on the throttle and it accelerates very quickly, no 'bad boy' behavior, just the rush. On curves, following instinct only, the posted speed limit is generally exceeded (significantly). As a passenger, it is a Chevy Cobalt. It's not a great family car, except that everyone in the family wants to drive it.

CSS Blast!
By alcss on 08/14/09 16:23 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt SS SS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought the SS sedan 3 weeks ago. This car is a blast to drive! Have 2500 miles on it already. 3000 pound curb weight and 260hp is a great combo. Turbo-charged ecotec engine is fantastic. Exhaust has a nice rumble on hard acceleration, but it's not tiresome on the highway. Tires, wheels, steering, braking and suspension/handling are all top notch, simply outstanding. This car can really perform and it is so much fun to drive. Seats are amazing. I would recommend this ride to anyone who needs a double extra dose of performance in their daily drive.

A hoot to drive
By 01Z2806TBSS09CSS on 06/11/09 13:27 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt SS SS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I picked up a Cobalt SS Sedan to compliment the 01 Z28 and 06 TrailBlazer SS that I own. I have to say that I am totally impressed with the Cobalt SS. What a surprising car! If I had not seen on at my local track I would never have given owning one a thought. The handling of these cars is second to none. You forget you are in a FWD vehicle. Straight acceleration is a blast and you don't realize how fast you are going due to how stable the car is at speed. Gas mileage is great. With the cruise on at 55 I'm getting 30+ MPG. City I'm getting mid twenties.

GREAT BANG FOR THE BUCK
By JOHNC352 on 05/24/09 11:46 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt SS SS 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have had this car less than a week and I love it. Engine power is great and the handling is very tight.Very good brakes. the sound system is very good also. Things that I don't like. Small fuel tank, only 13 gal and the fuel economy isn't that great but I hope that it will better after being broke in. Chevrolet needs to redesign the interior. To much cheep looking plastic. Also after I got my car home I discovered that the underhood liner was missing! Now this car went through at least half a dozen quality control people plus the dealership new car PDI and no one caught it! How the dealership handles this problem is yet to be seen.

The SS actually stands for "SS"
By Blake on 04/01/09 12:58 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt SS SS 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I'd been eyeballing the SS Cobalt when it was supercharged. However, instead of purchasing it, I bought a 2007 Subaru Forester, XLT. (turbocharged) I turned 50 and decided it was time for my midlife crisis car. So, I added the 2009 Cobalt SS Turbocharged to my stable. I use my SS Cobalt as a commuter vehicle. Part of my commute is on a narrow winding road perched on the side of a canyon. The car is amazing on that road and I look forward to the drive. After the 14 miles of twisting road, everything else is boring. The car has an excellent ride. Oddly enough, the car rides better than the Subaru. I get a combined 28.5 mpg with the car and I don't drive conservatively.

SS coupe alot of car for the money
By Tom on 03/09/09 03:29 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt SS SS 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The cobalt SS is one powerful piece of machinery. The handling and power you get is unmatched of any car at this price range. One free year of OnStar and 3 free months of XM radio really sweeten an already good deal. My friend is a real snob about cars and hates American cars. After showing him a lot of SS reviews and giving him a ride in my new car he has had to admit this is a good car.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Ss in VA is:

$141 per month*