2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:
Regret after regret
By rkammer on 11/07/12 11:07 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car was my first brand-new car purchase. The first weekend I had it, I had to take it back to the dealer because it had rained where I live and my entire trunk was soaking wet. The rear windshield had not been sealed and they had to replace the carpeting in my trunk and rear dash board. Since then, my now three year old car has been recalled 4 times. In my opinion, that is excessive. I wish I could get every penny back I spent on this car, and to top it off, customer service with GM has been terrible. This car has convinced me I will never buy any GM product ever again.

great affordable family car
By shotgun1496 on 07/26/12 00:34 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

love the car. there is power when you need it, rides good, got rather loud over the years, my only complaint it the brakes they squeal all the time, the even did it about a week after buying it. the cheap plastic interior sucks, but its a good car

DRIVERS BEWARE!
By vlk on 06/28/12 22:38 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Driving on I-10 on a clear morning, going at 70 mph, not sleepy, not distracted... the 2009 Chevy Cobalt I was driving started to swerve uncontrollably, then went off to the grassy embankment & rolled on its side at least twice. It finally landed on its passenger side against some small trees. The front wheel broke off along with its axle. The airbags did not deplore. Miraculously no one was seriously hurt! I was lucky, but no telling how the next accident of this sort will end up. GM is totally unresponsive & denies any responsibility. Something had to be wrong with the vehicle! There was just no other explanation. This is not about law suits. It is about consumer safety! BEWARE

Good car for a good price
By s1l3nt_1nc on 03/03/12 13:26 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

A good relieable fun to drive car for a good price. However I have run into some minor cosmetic issues. I have a Automatic LT model and the red light that shows you what gear you are in is stuck. The plastic clip that you press to change gears broke off and my trunk light no longer works. However it runs great and is fun to drive. Gas mileage is OK but could be better. Overall good for the price. One more bit of advice. Get a spare key! If your battery dies and you try to start the car your key will be stuck in the ignition until you can jump the battery. There is a way to manually get the key out but you would have to get into the steering colum to press a tiny button which is hard to see.

Too many repairs for a brand new car.
By hdryder on 05/02/11 11:22 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We have a 2009 Cobalt Sedan W- Auto Trans. Purchased brand new. It currently has 38k miles on it. This is the worst GM car I have ever owned out of the gate. Within the warranty frame it's had numerous failures related to cheap parts: Power steering motor recall. Steering column replaced because of a rattle. Ignition replaced because the key could not be turned off. The most recent is a issue yet to be diagnosed for certain but we are experiencing an erratic slapping noise coming from the drive train. I suspect it's a noise that originates inside the transmission. This car has long term durabilty questionability. Be prepared to spend $$$$ after the warranty expires. It's very cheaply built.

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt
By jjcarter11 on 01/07/11 05:17 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I just purchased this amazing car and from the very beginning have enjoyed everything from the color to the handling of the car. The acceleration is outstanding! Would highly recommend this car to any car enthusiast who is looking for outstanding value matched with performance.

2009 cobalt 1LT 4dr sedan
By Anonymous on 12/08/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I needed something w/ good factory warrany backing and GM has that covered, so when I chose this car I felt good- affordable, good pick up on highway and around town, about 1,200 miles a month. Little sluggish going up grades in regular drive gear though, but the good gas mileage makes up the difference. Nice stereo. quiet ride, good in snow.(live in Cleve. ohio) I Plan to drive this for a long time. I'm very happy overall.

2009 Cobalt
By RickD on 11/16/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Have 27,000 on mine and have had no problems. The car has great acceleration and very quiet and smooth ride.Gas mileage averages right around 28.5 to 29.0 MPG. Seem like a good little car with lots of quality built in. It definitely compares to the Corolla and Civic. I've owned both.

2009 beige cobalt
By christine Parker on 08/15/10 22:39 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Fun to drive, 30000 miles, mechanical problems, turn signal wouldn't shut off, now "something " is draining the battery, in shop for diagnosis. could not locate fob for above mentioned car

Great car
By Lisa on 07/30/10 13:23 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car with low expectations, but it was a good deal. Turns out this little car is awesome. I won't be trading up anytime soon. It's perfect.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan in VA is:

$136 per month*