Used 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Regret after regret
By rkammer

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car was my first brand-new car purchase. The first weekend I had it, I had to take it back to the dealer because it had rained where I live and my entire trunk was soaking wet. The rear windshield had not been sealed and they had to replace the carpeting in my trunk and rear dash board. Since then, my now three year old car has been recalled 4 times. In my opinion, that is excessive. I wish I could get every penny back I spent on this car, and to top it off, customer service with GM has been terrible. This car has convinced me I will never buy any GM product ever again.

great affordable family car
By shotgun1496

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

love the car. there is power when you need it, rides good, got rather loud over the years, my only complaint it the brakes they squeal all the time, the even did it about a week after buying it. the cheap plastic interior sucks, but its a good car

performance, quality for the price

interior.

DRIVERS BEWARE!
By vlk

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Driving on I-10 on a clear morning, going at 70 mph, not sleepy, not distracted... the 2009 Chevy Cobalt I was driving started to swerve uncontrollably, then went off to the grassy embankment & rolled on its side at least twice. It finally landed on its passenger side against some small trees. The front wheel broke off along with its axle. The airbags did not deplore. Miraculously no one was seriously hurt! I was lucky, but no telling how the next accident of this sort will end up. GM is totally unresponsive & denies any responsibility. Something had to be wrong with the vehicle! There was just no other explanation. This is not about law suits. It is about consumer safety! BEWARE

Good car for a good price
By s1l3nt_1nc

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

A good relieable fun to drive car for a good price. However I have run into some minor cosmetic issues. I have a Automatic LT model and the red light that shows you what gear you are in is stuck. The plastic clip that you press to change gears broke off and my trunk light no longer works. However it runs great and is fun to drive. Gas mileage is OK but could be better. Overall good for the price. One more bit of advice. Get a spare key! If your battery dies and you try to start the car your key will be stuck in the ignition until you can jump the battery. There is a way to manually get the key out but you would have to get into the steering colum to press a tiny button which is hard to see.

Good sound system. Sleek design.

More leg room for back passengers.

Too many repairs for a brand new car.
By hdryder

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We have a 2009 Cobalt Sedan W- Auto Trans. Purchased brand new. It currently has 38k miles on it. This is the worst GM car I have ever owned out of the gate. Within the warranty frame it's had numerous failures related to cheap parts: Power steering motor recall. Steering column replaced because of a rattle. Ignition replaced because the key could not be turned off. The most recent is a issue yet to be diagnosed for certain but we are experiencing an erratic slapping noise coming from the drive train. I suspect it's a noise that originates inside the transmission. This car has long term durabilty questionability. Be prepared to spend $$$$ after the warranty expires. It's very cheaply built.

Upfront quality is fine with this car. It's the long term durabilty I have in question. Any car that needs numerous repairs early on will probably need the same repairs again and again in the future. Warranty is fine but what about covering these parts that fail early for life. How odd it is that GM usually replaces a failed part with the exact same part? There is no proof that GM improved the replacement part. So when the part fails after 36k miles, the consumer eats the cost to fix a mfg defective part. Personally, I think this is very poor customer relations.

GM needs to select durable parts.... not the cheapest ones they can find that will get through the warranty period. GM tests all their cars before they go into production. They know all the flaws yet they do nothing to prevent them. They throw these issues at the consumer. It's no wonder GM has irate customers and those who have left because of this very same issue.