Used 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LT Coupe Consumer Reviews - 14 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe - Consumer Reviews

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

My baby was a lemon
By M. Crandle

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My dad bought be a pretty blue one brand new in 2006, loved it, but I recked it in 6 months at 17,000 mi. In 2009 I decided to purchase another at Redman Toll in Langhorne PA. I bought a pretty slate metallic 2lt coupe w/ sunroof, foglights, premium sound system, remote starter, everything but leather. Within the first couple weeks I had an issue with the O2 sensor. They fixed it, no problem. After that it was one thing after another, little creaks and noises that drove me crazy, sunroof rattling, engine breaking, shimmy at high speeds. I ended up filing a lemon law suit against GM. They paid the car off and my dad convinced me to keep it. Ive had the car for almost 7 years and I don't think a year has gone by without me putting it in the shop for minor stuff. The engine and tranny are strong, though. I've never had problems with the car running but I've had a bunch of other issues, the biggest one being the steering rack rattling (which was replaced twice). Recently I got the head repaired. I drive the car pretty hard but I do take care of it. I do a lot of driving and she's been on long trips south numerous times. The inside is in mint condition, I make sure the fluids are changed and it's inspected by the dealer periodically. I refer to put anymore money in it and will drive it until the wheels fall off lol.....I prefer to buy American cars, but they really need to do much better with their economy cars. If you're looking at a Cobalt, buy an SS model, they were built waaay better....or just get a Honda or Toyota lol.

fuel pump defect: message from Customer Service
By bob lyon

Dear Robert,

Thank you for getting back to Chevrolet Customer Assistance.
Please accept our sincere apologies for our delayed response to your email due
to the high email volume.

We have processed the information using the
vehicle identification number (1G1AS58H197166725) and found out that there is a
special coverage #12191. This is to make you aware that some 2009 Chevrolet
Cobalt may have a condition where the plastic supply or return port on the fuel
pump cracks and leaks fuel or fuel vapors. Fuel vapors, in the presence of an
ignition source, could potentially cause a vehicle fire. The symptoms of this
condition are:

- A noticeable fuel odor while the vehicle is being driven or
after it is parked
- The Check Engine Soon light may be illuminated on the
instrument cluster
- If the crack is large enough, fuel may be observed on the
ground, or vehicle performance may be affected

We are conducting a program
to address this issue. The program is a special coverage and under it should a
vehicle ever experience this condition, the owner must take the vehicle to their
GM dealer and have the dealer inspect the vehicle, confirm the condition, and
then repair that vehicle for free. Repairs and adjustments qualifying under
this special coverage must be performed by a GM dealer for diagnosis and
inspection. We also found two open recalls #14092 "Ignition Switch Replacement"
and # 14133 "Replace Ignition Key".

Best Car
By chevygirl21

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely love this car! Before this car I had a 2008 Dodge Caliber and I am so happy that i traded it. I recently got in an accident with it and it did not cost me more than 500 bucks to fix it myself! and it still runs awesome just like it did before! The manual transmission in it too makes it so much fun to drive and race others all the time cause im first off the line. Fuel economy is great my tank will last me two weeks and im driving everyday to school and work and its only 45 bucks to fill her up. Wouldnt trade her for anything

Fun First Car
By mizmwise

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Cobalt new and have put 56,000 miles on it. I love it! I'm religious about servicing it and have had zero mechanical problems. I get 40 mpg highway easily. For a relatively inexpensive car it handles great and has decent power. I live where it gets cold as hell in the winter and it starts every morning, and it does alright on the snow and ice. There is pretty limited storage space, and the blindspots are pretty significant. Everything seems pretty solid still. Of course there are little rattles here and there, but nothing crazy. Everything has stayed pretty tight and sealed up. The ride on the highway is smooth and fairly quiet. Overall, I think this is an awesome car!

XM Radio, nice exterior styling, reliable

More interior storage

Snowing in July?? Paint is flaking everywhere!
By blueextc3221

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased NEW 2009 Garage kept Cobalt LT Black coupe.
After only 6 months - clearcoat on aluminum rims bubbling and flaking.

Steering wheel/system rattles & thunks over small bumps after about 10K miles (same problem as my '06). Recall "fix" made no difference.

I Drive a lot. 64K of today's writing... just noticed a half-dollar sized area of paint bubbling on the roof.... and chrome on the inside passenger door handle that is NEVER used is bubbling.

I know I drive a bunch - but these are cosmetic issues GM will not cover after 36K warranty is up. I have 36K in the first 6 months!!

Cheap car with cheap plastic parts - and paint issues not isolated to Cobalt. Black is bad on Camaros too.

Peppy engine. Nice body styling - but horrible paint. Roomy Trunk. Leg room - I am 6'4" and seat is NOT all the way back.

Paint, clearcoat, and chrome plating is awful. Issues with the clunking in the steering have affected 2005 - present models - FIX IT!! Paint on master switch peeling. All interior is cold and plastic. Cheap construction. Will not be purchasing Chevy again.