Used 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

2009 Chevy Cobalt
By kayly

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have been driving my cobalt for the last two years with out any significant problems. This is the first and only car I have ever had, and it has served me well. I find it to be very comfortable, even for long car rides. I especially enjoy how quick it accelerates. ;) In my opinion the vehicle has held up really well against all my wear and tear.

BUY AN LT IF POSSIBLE.
By unicornrides

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is a follow up to my last review (which I cannot edit) on this car.. This is a scatter-brained review from someone who was used to a V6 engine. **NOTE: I mod my cars. This car has no major mods, yet. I use my car for: work, travel, picking up dudes.** In 2012 I bought my 09 LS Coupe (base everything- even fake hubcaps!) mostly for the the price (22k miles and under $7.5k.) Second car. THIS CAR IS STRONG. I have put over 25k miles on it in under 3 years.. and have driven it off-road, over things I can't identify but sound like explosions, etc.. and it hasn't affected it at all.

Favorite Features

Cat friendly. I OUTRUN NEWER SPORTS CARS AND OTHER CARS IN MY BASE LS. This car is TOUGH. Had my first accident in it and only got a fender bender. Automatic drives more like a manual/shift-able automatic. VERY comfortable for 9+ hour trips. Trims pop off to customize easily. HUGE fanbase behind this car. So you find all the things you ever need to know about it online. Things/parts/etc online specially made for this car. 40 mpg hwy. 22 mpg city. (50k miles on the car) Speakers are amazing! I get a lot of bass compliments. Had the front one blow (which is another common Cobalt problem.) Easy to install new stuff! Parts come cheap/reasonably priced.

Suggested Improvements

THIS CAR IS #1 ON THE RECALL LIST OF ITS TIME PERIOD. Before you buy, have whoever show you proof that these issues are fixed! I, thankfully, have not had problems with mine and it now has 50k miles. Battery is in THE TRUNK. WHY?! Front end is outdated- fit a kit to it and install fog-lights in non SS versions. Trunk opening is small. Base LS needs cruise control and automatic windows/locks. Needs more cubby holes!

Best Car
By chevygirl21

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely love this car! Before this car I had a 2008 Dodge Caliber and I am so happy that i traded it. I recently got in an accident with it and it did not cost me more than 500 bucks to fix it myself! and it still runs awesome just like it did before! The manual transmission in it too makes it so much fun to drive and race others all the time cause im first off the line. Fuel economy is great my tank will last me two weeks and im driving everyday to school and work and its only 45 bucks to fill her up. Wouldnt trade her for anything

Few Problems
By javaanimal

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Speakers are.. well, they're there. LS Coupe is considered a sports car (Grr..) and it lacks a lot of power my 2000 Malibu had. The front of it is dated.. but the body itself is magnificent. It says 25 mpg BUT my readings say 23. The LS I purchased has no cruise control or power windows/doors. BUT. For the price of this car, it's great. Fun fun to drive once you get up in mph and it hugs the curves with its spoiler. Breaks are great, it turns heads, and you get away with people believing you're in a sports car. This is NOT for tall/wide people. It's a very narrow car. It is GREAT for safety- everything is solid.

Favorite Features

Safety, looks, feel, higher speeds, steering, suspension, air-conditioning, and compact-ness.

Suggested Improvements

More storage, better looking front end, better sound system, cruise comes standard, and bigger trunk (or remove more of the back.)

Fun First Car
By mizmwise

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Cobalt new and have put 56,000 miles on it. I love it! I'm religious about servicing it and have had zero mechanical problems. I get 40 mpg highway easily. For a relatively inexpensive car it handles great and has decent power. I live where it gets cold as hell in the winter and it starts every morning, and it does alright on the snow and ice. There is pretty limited storage space, and the blindspots are pretty significant. Everything seems pretty solid still. Of course there are little rattles here and there, but nothing crazy. Everything has stayed pretty tight and sealed up. The ride on the highway is smooth and fairly quiet. Overall, I think this is an awesome car!

Favorite Features

XM Radio, nice exterior styling, reliable

Suggested Improvements

More interior storage