Used 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe Consumer Reviews - 38 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe - Consumer Reviews

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

My baby was a lemon
By M. Crandle

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My dad bought be a pretty blue one brand new in 2006, loved it, but I recked it in 6 months at 17,000 mi. In 2009 I decided to purchase another at Redman Toll in Langhorne PA. I bought a pretty slate metallic 2lt coupe w/ sunroof, foglights, premium sound system, remote starter, everything but leather. Within the first couple weeks I had an issue with the O2 sensor. They fixed it, no problem. After that it was one thing after another, little creaks and noises that drove me crazy, sunroof rattling, engine breaking, shimmy at high speeds. I ended up filing a lemon law suit against GM. They paid the car off and my dad convinced me to keep it. Ive had the car for almost 7 years and I don't think a year has gone by without me putting it in the shop for minor stuff. The engine and tranny are strong, though. I've never had problems with the car running but I've had a bunch of other issues, the biggest one being the steering rack rattling (which was replaced twice). Recently I got the head repaired. I drive the car pretty hard but I do take care of it. I do a lot of driving and she's been on long trips south numerous times. The inside is in mint condition, I make sure the fluids are changed and it's inspected by the dealer periodically. I refer to put anymore money in it and will drive it until the wheels fall off lol.....I prefer to buy American cars, but they really need to do much better with their economy cars. If you're looking at a Cobalt, buy an SS model, they were built waaay better....or just get a Honda or Toyota lol.

fuel pump defect: message from Customer Service
By bob lyon

Dear Robert,

Thank you for getting back to Chevrolet Customer Assistance.
Please accept our sincere apologies for our delayed response to your email due
to the high email volume.

We have processed the information using the
vehicle identification number (1G1AS58H197166725) and found out that there is a
special coverage #12191. This is to make you aware that some 2009 Chevrolet
Cobalt may have a condition where the plastic supply or return port on the fuel
pump cracks and leaks fuel or fuel vapors. Fuel vapors, in the presence of an
ignition source, could potentially cause a vehicle fire. The symptoms of this
condition are:

- A noticeable fuel odor while the vehicle is being driven or
after it is parked
- The Check Engine Soon light may be illuminated on the
instrument cluster
- If the crack is large enough, fuel may be observed on the
ground, or vehicle performance may be affected

We are conducting a program
to address this issue. The program is a special coverage and under it should a
vehicle ever experience this condition, the owner must take the vehicle to their
GM dealer and have the dealer inspect the vehicle, confirm the condition, and
then repair that vehicle for free. Repairs and adjustments qualifying under
this special coverage must be performed by a GM dealer for diagnosis and
inspection. We also found two open recalls #14092 "Ignition Switch Replacement"
and # 14133 "Replace Ignition Key".

2009 Chevy Cobalt
By kayly

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have been driving my cobalt for the last two years with out any significant problems. This is the first and only car I have ever had, and it has served me well. I find it to be very comfortable, even for long car rides. I especially enjoy how quick it accelerates. ;) In my opinion the vehicle has held up really well against all my wear and tear.

BUY AN LT IF POSSIBLE.
By unicornrides

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is a follow up to my last review (which I cannot edit) on this car.. This is a scatter-brained review from someone who was used to a V6 engine.

**NOTE: I mod my cars. This car has no major mods, yet. I use my car for: work, travel, picking up dudes.**

In 2012 I bought my 09 LS Coupe (base everything- even fake hubcaps!) mostly for the the price (22k miles and under $7.5k.)

Second car.

THIS CAR IS STRONG. I have put over 25k miles on it in under 3 years.. and have driven it off-road, over things I can't identify but sound like explosions, etc.. and it hasn't affected it at all.

Cat friendly. I OUTRUN NEWER SPORTS CARS AND OTHER CARS IN MY BASE LS. This car is TOUGH. Had my first accident in it and only got a fender bender. Automatic drives more like a manual/shift-able automatic. VERY comfortable for 9+ hour trips. Trims pop off to customize easily. HUGE fanbase behind this car. So you find all the things you ever need to know about it online. Things/parts/etc online specially made for this car. 40 mpg hwy. 22 mpg city. (50k miles on the car) Speakers are amazing! I get a lot of bass compliments. Had the front one blow (which is another common Cobalt problem.) Easy to install new stuff! Parts come cheap/reasonably priced.

THIS CAR IS #1 ON THE RECALL LIST OF ITS TIME PERIOD. Before you buy, have whoever show you proof that these issues are fixed! I, thankfully, have not had problems with mine and it now has 50k miles. Battery is in THE TRUNK. WHY?! Front end is outdated- fit a kit to it and install fog-lights in non SS versions. Trunk opening is small. Base LS needs cruise control and automatic windows/locks. Needs more cubby holes!

Best Car
By chevygirl21

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely love this car! Before this car I had a 2008 Dodge Caliber and I am so happy that i traded it. I recently got in an accident with it and it did not cost me more than 500 bucks to fix it myself! and it still runs awesome just like it did before! The manual transmission in it too makes it so much fun to drive and race others all the time cause im first off the line. Fuel economy is great my tank will last me two weeks and im driving everyday to school and work and its only 45 bucks to fill her up. Wouldnt trade her for anything