2009 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:
A Great First Car, Easy Manual
By redschecter on 10/09/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car back in May as my first car. I had to learn how to drive stick, but this car was easy to learn on. This car is fun and comfortable to drive and, in my opinion, looks much nicer than any other vehicle in this price range. I'm only 5'11" and I hit my head on the ceiling while sitting in the back but who cares, I wont ever have to sit back there, she's mine. The biggest issue I've had so far was with the dashboard, after six weeks it started rattling loudly. My local dealer said the problem was with the original design of the dashboard, which causes it to warp, and they improvised a solution. Of course, the repair was free. A dash-mat will make the interior look much nicer.

let's do it again
By Happy Camper on 04/27/10 16:59 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Okay, here we are with almost 10K, and with have no complaints. MPG is rising, as expected. Took a day trip two weeks ago, and averaged 38. Got my letter from GM re: steering motor, and so glad they FINALLY claimed it. Also still happy with the dealership. Took the little car in recently for it's third oil change, after having been there a week earlier for a nitrogen refill on the tires. Noticed that somehow, they left grease on the interior, mentioned it, and it was gone when I picked the car back up after the oil change. Little things do matter...

My gas sipping money saver
By Cher on 03/15/10 14:49 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I love the gas millage this car gets. I have had it a year and it still gets 37mpg highway and 26-27 city. I do 65mph on the highway, not 55. However, to keep the gas mileage great you must change the oil and filter once every 3,000 miles, not 6,000 miles like the dealership tells you to. THIS IS A GREAT ALTERNATIVE TO A HYBRID CAR. I couldn't afford a hybrid so I bought this car and it really does get the gas millage Chevy advertises. Not to mention it's a lot better looking than a Toyoda Prius. The lock cylinder on the car did go at 16,000 miles but my warranty covered that.

New car
By St Helens Matt on 01/28/10 21:58 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I am getting 35 MPG and the cabin is quite. Best of all, I got it brand new for $10,000.

Love the XFE
By Jeff on 10/13/09 14:53 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Yellow XFE coupe for about 4 months and 10,000 miles. I commute about 120 miles per day and average 38.5 and 39.1 MPG...you have to love that! The car is very comfortable and has great pickup when it's time to hit the on ramps. I was about to buy a civic, but saved myself 6 grand and get better mileage. I expect it will be a great car for years.

Happy Camper
By Happy Customer on 09/30/09 11:37 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought new in early '09, had a '01 Malibu w/ over 260k mi. Wanted the XFE, 1LT package. It took a bit to find car. after delivery, I found it comfortable, roomy for that size of car, great mileage, 36 has been my low, 40.9 has been high. I drive 150 a day, commuting to work. gas usage went from 5 gal a day to 3.2. started with Mobil 1 a 5k mi. went 11.2k to second oil change. I drive at 60 - 65mph, keep foot off the floor, expect over 200k and not a lot of cost. good car! also set up car for towing behind motorhome. Great Towed

Two months later
By Happy Camper on 09/20/09 21:29 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

With just over 2200 miles, I'm noticing the MPG going up.. average has gone from 31 to 35. Acceleration is a real kick, and with the windows now tinted black, this little white coupe looks even sharper. A/C works like a champ, and cools the car in about a minute with fan speed initially set at 3. From there it drops to 1, or it's too cold.. and we're talking So. Ariz. The engine runs cool.. about 195 in the heat of the day. The ride is great, and was complimented by a friend who drives a Volvo. I love this car, and as an old motor head, I rate it right at the top with some of my past hot rods and trucks, even my Sentra. Killer mileage, and it doesn't get hot. What a relief.

Good value
By AA on 03/21/09 16:04 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Great price. Overall good features with the LT package, great fuel economy, smooth ride and comfortable even for a tall person like me.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt in VA is:

$130 per month*