2009 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:
One year after review! Problems a plenty
By vahdyx on 10/22/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt SS 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I'd like to educate some with the flaws. The problems I'm experiencing after a year of owning this car has been a pain. Cylinder 4 misfire after 1000 miles, MAP Sensors fail especially after getting the optional "GM Stage 1 kit", Intermediate steering shaft rattles, condensation in headlight, rear brake pads scoring rotor, plastic charge pipe cracking due to extreme weather, thud when shifting into gear, etc. I have taken this car to get warranty work more than any other car I've owned. It's getting old. I don't recommend the SS unless you know your way around a car. After my warranty expires, I anticipate selling, but unfortunately, this car has poor resale value. Maybe I'll start tuning it

Little Demon Car
By Kevin on 07/23/10 14:23 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt SS 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

First off, I always get tons of crap from my buddies when I tell them I got a cobalt until I take 'em for a ride. Amazing power for such a little car and the brakes stop on a dime. Only real problem is everywhere I go, people try to race me lol

Super fun to drive
By scooter on 01/31/10 11:17 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt SS 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This little car has definitely impressed me, its performance form acceleration to cornering to brake is incredible especially considering the rear axle is only a semi independent solid axle.I work on cars for a living and have done so for 20 years,the amount of power this engine produces for its size is amazing. Also amazing is the fuel economy, combined driving around 25mpg. I do not baby this car by any means and it still amazes me too get 33 mpg at 70mph on the highway. I highly recommend it,its not real cheap to own since tires are ultra hi performance and around $150 each and up.Its well worth it tho.

GREAT BANG FOR THE BUCK
By JOHNC352 on 05/24/09 11:46 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt SS 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have had this car less than a week and I love it. Engine power is great and the handling is very tight.Very good brakes. the sound system is very good also. Things that I don't like. Small fuel tank, only 13 gal and the fuel economy isn't that great but I hope that it will better after being broke in. Chevrolet needs to redesign the interior. To much cheep looking plastic. Also after I got my car home I discovered that the underhood liner was missing! Now this car went through at least half a dozen quality control people plus the dealership new car PDI and no one caught it! How the dealership handles this problem is yet to be seen.

The SS actually stands for "SS"
By Blake on 04/01/09 12:58 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt SS 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I'd been eyeballing the SS Cobalt when it was supercharged. However, instead of purchasing it, I bought a 2007 Subaru Forester, XLT. (turbocharged) I turned 50 and decided it was time for my midlife crisis car. So, I added the 2009 Cobalt SS Turbocharged to my stable. I use my SS Cobalt as a commuter vehicle. Part of my commute is on a narrow winding road perched on the side of a canyon. The car is amazing on that road and I look forward to the drive. After the 14 miles of twisting road, everything else is boring. The car has an excellent ride. Oddly enough, the car rides better than the Subaru. I get a combined 28.5 mpg with the car and I don't drive conservatively.

SS coupe alot of car for the money
By Tom on 03/09/09 03:29 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt SS 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The cobalt SS is one powerful piece of machinery. The handling and power you get is unmatched of any car at this price range. One free year of OnStar and 3 free months of XM radio really sweeten an already good deal. My friend is a real snob about cars and hates American cars. After showing him a lot of SS reviews and giving him a ride in my new car he has had to admit this is a good car.

2009 Nova SS
By Lance on 01/23/09 18:14 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt SS 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my SS Cobalt without driving one as every state west of the Mississipi had only 5 SS'. I ordered one after reading my Road and Track, Motor Trend Mag's and going around the Nurmburing's track with a professional driver in the rain no less. Lap times just above 8 minutes, and the driver expressed great impressions of what the car is able to do. Seeing as how I want to do what I can to help the economy and own a true muscle car matching the numbers of a Buick GS 455, and getting 2 to 3 times the mileage I bought one. I have 4500 miles on the car, perfect seats that my 90 year old mother could actually not have pain after 8 hours in the passenger seat, and scarry fast, like-Corvette

2009 SS Cobalt
By Why Not on 10/04/08 11:02 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt SS 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought the Cobalt SS Sept 15. So far Iím very impressed. The turbo really helps the 2.0 liter create power. It feels faster, stops quicker and handles better than my 96 TransAm WS6 (and it was a performer in its day). The reconfigurable display is awesome, the Brembos fell like an anchor is thrown out to help stop it and it handles like its on rails. The seats feel great, standard bluetooth is cool and the short-throw shifter is outstanding. I've had Vettes, TransAms, and tons of 60's era muscle cars. At 54 years old, this car puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. With the GMPP plan offered last month, Iím sorry I didnít buy two of them for $22,400.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt in VA is:

$146 per month*