Used 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Regret after regret
By rkammer

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car was my first brand-new car purchase. The first weekend I had it, I had to take it back to the dealer because it had rained where I live and my entire trunk was soaking wet. The rear windshield had not been sealed and they had to replace the carpeting in my trunk and rear dash board. Since then, my now three year old car has been recalled 4 times. In my opinion, that is excessive. I wish I could get every penny back I spent on this car, and to top it off, customer service with GM has been terrible. This car has convinced me I will never buy any GM product ever again.

great affordable family car
By shotgun1496

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

love the car. there is power when you need it, rides good, got rather loud over the years, my only complaint it the brakes they squeal all the time, the even did it about a week after buying it. the cheap plastic interior sucks, but its a good car

Favorite Features

performance, quality for the price

Suggested Improvements

interior.

Too many repairs for a brand new car.
By hdryder

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We have a 2009 Cobalt Sedan W- Auto Trans. Purchased brand new. It currently has 38k miles on it. This is the worst GM car I have ever owned out of the gate. Within the warranty frame it's had numerous failures related to cheap parts: Power steering motor recall. Steering column replaced because of a rattle. Ignition replaced because the key could not be turned off. The most recent is a issue yet to be diagnosed for certain but we are experiencing an erratic slapping noise coming from the drive train. I suspect it's a noise that originates inside the transmission. This car has long term durabilty questionability. Be prepared to spend $$$$ after the warranty expires. It's very cheaply built.

Favorite Features

Upfront quality is fine with this car. It's the long term durabilty I have in question. Any car that needs numerous repairs early on will probably need the same repairs again and again in the future. Warranty is fine but what about covering these parts that fail early for life. How odd it is that GM usually replaces a failed part with the exact same part? There is no proof that GM improved the replacement part. So when the part fails after 36k miles, the consumer eats the cost to fix a mfg defective part. Personally, I think this is very poor customer relations.

Suggested Improvements

GM needs to select durable parts.... not the cheapest ones they can find that will get through the warranty period. GM tests all their cars before they go into production. They know all the flaws yet they do nothing to prevent them. They throw these issues at the consumer. It's no wonder GM has irate customers and those who have left because of this very same issue.

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt
By jjcarter11

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I just purchased this amazing car and from the very beginning have enjoyed everything from the color to the handling of the car. The acceleration is outstanding! Would highly recommend this car to any car enthusiast who is looking for outstanding value matched with performance.

Favorite Features

Performance and acceleration

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders are small and not deep enough. Sufficient to say if that is the least of my worries, no problem here!

2009 Cobalt
By RickD

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Have 27,000 on mine and have had no problems. The car has great acceleration and very quiet and smooth ride.Gas mileage averages right around 28.5 to 29.0 MPG. Seem like a good little car with lots of quality built in. It definitely compares to the Corolla and Civic. I've owned both.

Favorite Features

Acceleration. Quiet and smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Chevy should pay more attention to making the interior a little more comfortable.