2009 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:
BUY AN LT IF POSSIBLE.
By unicornrides on 03/18/14 22:23 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is a follow up to my last review (which I cannot edit) on this car.. This is a scatter-brained review from someone who was used to a V6 engine. **NOTE: I mod my cars. This car has no major mods, yet. I use my car for: work, travel, picking up dudes.** In 2012 I bought my 09 LS Coupe (base everything- even fake hubcaps!) mostly for the the price (22k miles and under $7.5k.) Second car. THIS CAR IS STRONG. I have put over 25k miles on it in under 3 years.. and have driven it off-road, over things I can't identify but sound like explosions, etc.. and it hasn't affected it at all.

Few Problems
By javaanimal on 06/25/12 12:01 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Speakers are.. well, they're there. LS Coupe is considered a sports car (Grr..) and it lacks a lot of power my 2000 Malibu had. The front of it is dated.. but the body itself is magnificent. It says 25 mpg BUT my readings say 23. The LS I purchased has no cruise control or power windows/doors. BUT. For the price of this car, it's great. Fun fun to drive once you get up in mph and it hugs the curves with its spoiler. Breaks are great, it turns heads, and you get away with people believing you're in a sports car. This is NOT for tall/wide people. It's a very narrow car. It is GREAT for safety- everything is solid.

Good little car
By A decent car on 10/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This little ecotec engine rocks. It can outrun most comparable cars on the market in its stock form. (we know because a lot of younger people want to race it for some reason). It is a basic little car with a lot of power. We have never have had a problem with it in 15,000 miles.

2009 Cobalt LS #2 Automatic coupe
By Jim on 10/02/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Loved the first 2009 Cobalt I bought in January, bought a second one. Different color same equipment. Same ride, same great mileage, this one has a spare tire and spoiler- luxury. 36 mpg hwy with the automatic- measured on fill-ups, not the trip computer in the car (which shows 33.8 avg.)

Great Car!
By bwalk1 on 09/03/10 11:47 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My daughter purchased this car in March and after recently completing an 8 day 3200 mile cross country trip I have to say this is an extremely comfortable vehicle to drive and I am impressed with the overall quality and performance. The front seats are VERY comfortable, there is plenty of room in the back seat and it averaged 38 mpg on our trip. The car handles great, is very tight and has a quiet cabin. Her car is equipped with a smooth shifting 5 spd and has a light clutch that makes for smooth starts and effortless shifting. The gauges are easy to read, controls are well laid out and the AC worked great even in the 115 degree desert heat. This is a great car that I highly recommend!

09 Cobalt LS Automatic
By Jim on 01/15/10 18:11 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Wanted a base coupe to replace an 04 Cavalier coupe automatic. Other than looks, not too much has changed. Same basic layout with a few more features. Nice car for way cheap money. End of year pricing and rebates put this less than the competition (Kia- Hyundai- Nissan-Focus). Only drawback - 6 year old design. Looks like a '10 to me. I might buy one more before the Cruze swings into production. (or they move the Cobalt tooling to Mexico)

2009 cobalt
By John Frank on 12/21/09 11:22 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Car looks and handles alright and mileage is very good. The problem I am having is the exhaust system makes lots of noise when you turn off the car and the pipes cool off. Two dealers have told me this is normal, but this is way to loud and needs to have a fix. Has anyone else had this problem and had a dealer fix it?

My Cobalt
By Mrs.P on 11/04/09 06:36 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Cobalt 38 days ago. I only have 803 miles on the car. I get 23.3 MPG... seems low but I work 2 miles from home and don't do any highway driving. Work, home and the grocery store is the extent of where I take my car.One tank of gas lasts me 2 weeks. I took my cobalt on the highway one time and got 40 MPG so I know I don't get as good millage because I drive such short trips. I am very happy with my purchase. I spent 15,000. My only complaint is when the A/C is on, my dash vibrates a little when I am driving slow in a parking lot or backing out of a driveway or sitting at a light! Other than that its great. This is my first new car and I would recommend a Cobalt to anyone!

Immaculate 88 Sentra to this....
By Happy Camper on 08/02/09 19:30 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Compared to the old Sentra, this thing rocks, until you talk interior. The lack in braking with the LRR tires is also a bit of a drag. Got the XFE, and on the highway, it's getting an amazing 44 mpg. Overall I couldn't be happier. I love this car. Thank you GM for not going hybrid, and for building an affordable little mileage monster. I'm also way happy with what the base model comes with. Crank windows, manual seats.. no biggy. I love the DIC, and the stereo is great. While shopping, I saw others that wanted 3K for A/C, and used an idiot light as a temp gauge. Had no where near the gidup, and I seriously doubt they could match the MPG. Also used a timing belt.. I'll take a chain anyday.

So far so good
By Cher on 03/26/09 14:48 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Only had car for a few weeks, so I will write another review in a year. I may not know much about this car yet, but I do know that the gas mileage is fabulous. Better than any 4 cylinder compact car I have owned. However, that only goes for the manual transmission LS models. The manual transmission is fun to drive, it shifts smoothly and the engine is peppy. Great if you need to pass someone. The trunk is roomy but the back seats are not. Overall I do like this car.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt in VA is:

$136 per month*