Used 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

A Great First Car, Easy Manual
By redschecter

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car back in May as my first car. I had to learn how to drive stick, but this car was easy to learn on. This car is fun and comfortable to drive and, in my opinion, looks much nicer than any other vehicle in this price range. I'm only 5'11" and I hit my head on the ceiling while sitting in the back but who cares, I wont ever have to sit back there, she's mine. The biggest issue I've had so far was with the dashboard, after six weeks it started rattling loudly. My local dealer said the problem was with the original design of the dashboard, which causes it to warp, and they improvised a solution. Of course, the repair was free. A dash-mat will make the interior look much nicer.

Favorite Features

Comfortable, decent sound system, easy clutch and stick, large trunk (fit most of my apartment in there, minus the furniture of course) avoided several accidents at a local interchange thanks to good brakes despite lack of ABS. 32 mpg avg for me!

Suggested Improvements

move the front cup holders back an inch or two. Chevy needs to kill its labor unions so that they can focus on quality control, a panel screw fell on my foot a few weeks ago, oddly enough, nothing's missing any screw so it must've just been left there from the factory.

let's do it again
By Happy Camper

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Okay, here we are with almost 10K, and with have no complaints. MPG is rising, as expected. Took a day trip two weeks ago, and averaged 38. Got my letter from GM re: steering motor, and so glad they FINALLY claimed it. Also still happy with the dealership. Took the little car in recently for it's third oil change, after having been there a week earlier for a nitrogen refill on the tires. Noticed that somehow, they left grease on the interior, mentioned it, and it was gone when I picked the car back up after the oil change. Little things do matter...

My gas sipping money saver
By Cher

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I love the gas millage this car gets. I have had it a year and it still gets 37mpg highway and 26-27 city. I do 65mph on the highway, not 55. However, to keep the gas mileage great you must change the oil and filter once every 3,000 miles, not 6,000 miles like the dealership tells you to. THIS IS A GREAT ALTERNATIVE TO A HYBRID CAR. I couldn't afford a hybrid so I bought this car and it really does get the gas millage Chevy advertises. Not to mention it's a lot better looking than a Toyoda Prius. The lock cylinder on the car did go at 16,000 miles but my warranty covered that.

Favorite Features

Fuel efficiency, shifts nicely, handles alright. Pretty decent car for the price.

Suggested Improvements

As always with the American cars, the plastic cheap looking interior.

New car
By St Helens Matt

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I am getting 35 MPG and the cabin is quite. Best of all, I got it brand new for $10,000.

Favorite Features

MPG

Suggested Improvements

Reading lamps

Love the XFE
By Jeff

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Yellow XFE coupe for about 4 months and 10,000 miles. I commute about 120 miles per day and average 38.5 and 39.1 MPG...you have to love that! The car is very comfortable and has great pickup when it's time to hit the on ramps. I was about to buy a civic, but saved myself 6 grand and get better mileage. I expect it will be a great car for years.

Favorite Features

Information Center

Suggested Improvements

Armrest standard, fit and finish.