Used 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

2009 Chevy Cobalt
By kayly

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have been driving my cobalt for the last two years with out any significant problems. This is the first and only car I have ever had, and it has served me well. I find it to be very comfortable, even for long car rides. I especially enjoy how quick it accelerates. ;) In my opinion the vehicle has held up really well against all my wear and tear.

BUY AN LT IF POSSIBLE.
By unicornrides

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is a follow up to my last review (which I cannot edit) on this car.. This is a scatter-brained review from someone who was used to a V6 engine. **NOTE: I mod my cars. This car has no major mods, yet. I use my car for: work, travel, picking up dudes.** In 2012 I bought my 09 LS Coupe (base everything- even fake hubcaps!) mostly for the the price (22k miles and under $7.5k.) Second car. THIS CAR IS STRONG. I have put over 25k miles on it in under 3 years.. and have driven it off-road, over things I can't identify but sound like explosions, etc.. and it hasn't affected it at all.

Favorite Features

Cat friendly. I OUTRUN NEWER SPORTS CARS AND OTHER CARS IN MY BASE LS. This car is TOUGH. Had my first accident in it and only got a fender bender. Automatic drives more like a manual/shift-able automatic. VERY comfortable for 9+ hour trips. Trims pop off to customize easily. HUGE fanbase behind this car. So you find all the things you ever need to know about it online. Things/parts/etc online specially made for this car. 40 mpg hwy. 22 mpg city. (50k miles on the car) Speakers are amazing! I get a lot of bass compliments. Had the front one blow (which is another common Cobalt problem.) Easy to install new stuff! Parts come cheap/reasonably priced.

Suggested Improvements

THIS CAR IS #1 ON THE RECALL LIST OF ITS TIME PERIOD. Before you buy, have whoever show you proof that these issues are fixed! I, thankfully, have not had problems with mine and it now has 50k miles. Battery is in THE TRUNK. WHY?! Front end is outdated- fit a kit to it and install fog-lights in non SS versions. Trunk opening is small. Base LS needs cruise control and automatic windows/locks. Needs more cubby holes!

Best Car
By chevygirl21

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely love this car! Before this car I had a 2008 Dodge Caliber and I am so happy that i traded it. I recently got in an accident with it and it did not cost me more than 500 bucks to fix it myself! and it still runs awesome just like it did before! The manual transmission in it too makes it so much fun to drive and race others all the time cause im first off the line. Fuel economy is great my tank will last me two weeks and im driving everyday to school and work and its only 45 bucks to fill her up. Wouldnt trade her for anything

Regret after regret
By rkammer

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car was my first brand-new car purchase. The first weekend I had it, I had to take it back to the dealer because it had rained where I live and my entire trunk was soaking wet. The rear windshield had not been sealed and they had to replace the carpeting in my trunk and rear dash board. Since then, my now three year old car has been recalled 4 times. In my opinion, that is excessive. I wish I could get every penny back I spent on this car, and to top it off, customer service with GM has been terrible. This car has convinced me I will never buy any GM product ever again.

great affordable family car
By shotgun1496

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

love the car. there is power when you need it, rides good, got rather loud over the years, my only complaint it the brakes they squeal all the time, the even did it about a week after buying it. the cheap plastic interior sucks, but its a good car

Favorite Features

performance, quality for the price

Suggested Improvements

interior.