2009 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:
BUY AN LT IF POSSIBLE.
By unicornrides on 03/18/14 22:23 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is a follow up to my last review (which I cannot edit) on this car.. This is a scatter-brained review from someone who was used to a V6 engine. **NOTE: I mod my cars. This car has no major mods, yet. I use my car for: work, travel, picking up dudes.** In 2012 I bought my 09 LS Coupe (base everything- even fake hubcaps!) mostly for the the price (22k miles and under $7.5k.) Second car. THIS CAR IS STRONG. I have put over 25k miles on it in under 3 years.. and have driven it off-road, over things I can't identify but sound like explosions, etc.. and it hasn't affected it at all.

Best Car
By chevygirl21 on 03/05/13 22:04 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely love this car! Before this car I had a 2008 Dodge Caliber and I am so happy that i traded it. I recently got in an accident with it and it did not cost me more than 500 bucks to fix it myself! and it still runs awesome just like it did before! The manual transmission in it too makes it so much fun to drive and race others all the time cause im first off the line. Fuel economy is great my tank will last me two weeks and im driving everyday to school and work and its only 45 bucks to fill her up. Wouldnt trade her for anything

Regret after regret
By rkammer on 11/07/12 11:07 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car was my first brand-new car purchase. The first weekend I had it, I had to take it back to the dealer because it had rained where I live and my entire trunk was soaking wet. The rear windshield had not been sealed and they had to replace the carpeting in my trunk and rear dash board. Since then, my now three year old car has been recalled 4 times. In my opinion, that is excessive. I wish I could get every penny back I spent on this car, and to top it off, customer service with GM has been terrible. This car has convinced me I will never buy any GM product ever again.

great affordable family car
By shotgun1496 on 07/26/12 00:34 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

love the car. there is power when you need it, rides good, got rather loud over the years, my only complaint it the brakes they squeal all the time, the even did it about a week after buying it. the cheap plastic interior sucks, but its a good car

DRIVERS BEWARE!
By vlk on 06/28/12 22:38 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Driving on I-10 on a clear morning, going at 70 mph, not sleepy, not distracted... the 2009 Chevy Cobalt I was driving started to swerve uncontrollably, then went off to the grassy embankment & rolled on its side at least twice. It finally landed on its passenger side against some small trees. The front wheel broke off along with its axle. The airbags did not deplore. Miraculously no one was seriously hurt! I was lucky, but no telling how the next accident of this sort will end up. GM is totally unresponsive & denies any responsibility. Something had to be wrong with the vehicle! There was just no other explanation. This is not about law suits. It is about consumer safety! BEWARE

Few Problems
By javaanimal on 06/25/12 12:01 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Speakers are.. well, they're there. LS Coupe is considered a sports car (Grr..) and it lacks a lot of power my 2000 Malibu had. The front of it is dated.. but the body itself is magnificent. It says 25 mpg BUT my readings say 23. The LS I purchased has no cruise control or power windows/doors. BUT. For the price of this car, it's great. Fun fun to drive once you get up in mph and it hugs the curves with its spoiler. Breaks are great, it turns heads, and you get away with people believing you're in a sports car. This is NOT for tall/wide people. It's a very narrow car. It is GREAT for safety- everything is solid.

Fun First Car
By mizmwise on 03/12/12 18:46 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Cobalt new and have put 56,000 miles on it. I love it! I'm religious about servicing it and have had zero mechanical problems. I get 40 mpg highway easily. For a relatively inexpensive car it handles great and has decent power. I live where it gets cold as hell in the winter and it starts every morning, and it does alright on the snow and ice. There is pretty limited storage space, and the blindspots are pretty significant. Everything seems pretty solid still. Of course there are little rattles here and there, but nothing crazy. Everything has stayed pretty tight and sealed up. The ride on the highway is smooth and fairly quiet. Overall, I think this is an awesome car!

Good car for a good price
By s1l3nt_1nc on 03/03/12 13:26 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

A good relieable fun to drive car for a good price. However I have run into some minor cosmetic issues. I have a Automatic LT model and the red light that shows you what gear you are in is stuck. The plastic clip that you press to change gears broke off and my trunk light no longer works. However it runs great and is fun to drive. Gas mileage is OK but could be better. Overall good for the price. One more bit of advice. Get a spare key! If your battery dies and you try to start the car your key will be stuck in the ignition until you can jump the battery. There is a way to manually get the key out but you would have to get into the steering colum to press a tiny button which is hard to see.

Snowing in July?? Paint is flaking everywhere!
By blueextc3221 on 08/01/11 07:18 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased NEW 2009 Garage kept Cobalt LT Black coupe. After only 6 months - clearcoat on aluminum rims bubbling and flaking. Steering wheel/system rattles & thunks over small bumps after about 10K miles (same problem as my '06). Recall "fix" made no difference. I Drive a lot. 64K of today's writing... just noticed a half-dollar sized area of paint bubbling on the roof.... and chrome on the inside passenger door handle that is NEVER used is bubbling. I know I drive a bunch - but these are cosmetic issues GM will not cover after 36K warranty is up. I have 36K in the first 6 months!! Cheap car with cheap plastic parts - and paint issues not isolated to Cobalt. Black is bad on Camaros too.

Too many repairs for a brand new car.
By hdryder on 05/02/11 11:22 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We have a 2009 Cobalt Sedan W- Auto Trans. Purchased brand new. It currently has 38k miles on it. This is the worst GM car I have ever owned out of the gate. Within the warranty frame it's had numerous failures related to cheap parts: Power steering motor recall. Steering column replaced because of a rattle. Ignition replaced because the key could not be turned off. The most recent is a issue yet to be diagnosed for certain but we are experiencing an erratic slapping noise coming from the drive train. I suspect it's a noise that originates inside the transmission. This car has long term durabilty questionability. Be prepared to spend $$$$ after the warranty expires. It's very cheaply built.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt in VA is:

$130 per month*