2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Consumer Review: Miss my Kobe

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Review

Miss my Kobe
By ubbenunited on

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought an '08 Cobalt (2.2, 4A) in Sept. '09 as my first car (40k miles). LT package and badging, but much nicer than what the LT lists. I got heated leather seats, premium sound, sunroof, spoiler, foglamps, the whole deal. Put 12k-ish miles on it before it got totaled by a hit-and-run while parked in front of my house (got 11,400 for it and put that down on an '08 Malibu LTZ). The brakes were starting to go at 50k (vibration under hard braking from highway speed), but it got wrecked before I had to have them done. I didn't think anything bad of the interior (nothing to compare it to), but it was a solid car and got me where I needed to go while still having fun. Not flashy, but reliable.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, sunroof, white-face gauges (usually a Sport option), steering wheel audio/cruise controls, the kickin' sound system, excellent fuel economy (averaged 25.1 for the time I had it - probably 60/40 split city/highway). Best tank was 90% highway - 31.5 mpg. I never got to ride in the back, but I fit more than comfortably in the rear seat when the driver's seat was adjusted for me (6'1").

Suggested Improvements

Rear seats can only be folded by releasing the latch - from inside the truck. Walk around the car, open trunk, pull latch, walk back around, fold seat down. The shoulder-level release on my '08 Malibu is the arrangement I was expecting. There were times I wished for the 260-hp SS version, but that wasn't in my budget at buying time.