2008 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:
Leave it on the lot!
By LucySue8780 on 03/20/09 13:31 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Cobalt and 11 days later, it was in the shop.I have had the car 15 months, and it has been in the shop 6 times for manufacture defects. Just this week, the lock cylinder broke. It's a good thing I was at work and not stuck in a dim parking lot at night.The steering column, the shift assembly, and the lock cylinder have all been replaced. I am waiting on the new radio to come in, which will actually be the 4th radio. The blinkers and front speakers will not work right if your radio is messed up. Very bad blindspots, when trying to look over your shoulder. Poorly designed overall.Fuel mileage, not that great. Brakes don't last.Chevy, quit making this piece of junk! It's not reliable!!!!!!!

Nice reliable car
By Steph on 01/29/09 10:46 AM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my '08 LT sedan last May. I've put 10k miles on it so far and it has been a pretty good car to drive. It's handled very well in the ice and snow recently. The remote start option has been good this winter with having an infant. Driving a mix of city and highway, I tend to get about 28 mpg. That was nice while gas prices were up. Even now that gas is back down its still wonderful not to have to spend as much on gas.

Better than I thought when I bought it
By soupysales on 12/23/08 05:54 AM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have an LT package XFE (5M), so I've got the electric windows and the center armrest. The car is quiet, handling is solid as a rock even at high speeds, and the hard seats are comfortable on long trips. Trunk room is spacious, but the opening is small. The 2.2 will scoot if you wind it up, which you can do with the manual transmission. This is a great car, lots of fun to drive, plenty of front seat room, and great mileage. Under the skin, the Cobalt is an Opel Astra, so if you like the personality of German cars, you'll like this one. For the price that Chevy sells them for, it's a bargain.

Cobalt
By Sarge on 12/21/08 05:01 AM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Sport 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the 2008 Cobalt because fuel at the time of purchase was at the all time high. So far I do like the vehicle, but it is terrible in snow and ice but most vehicles this size probably are. I have experienced premature wear on the drivers seat at 5000 miles and 6 months service.

Rollover and walk away
By mike on 12/10/08 15:20 PM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car for my 18 year old daughter for her high school graduation. She loved it and we loved the cost. Last Sunday she had an accident on the highway in which she hit some black ice. Smashed into a wall. And than the car rolled over landing on the roof. She was wearing her seatbelt. Thank God. Without a scratch she gets out of the car. Calls me first and than called 911. I arrived before the emergency services and she was sittinbg on the side of the road with out a scratch on her. Needless to say that after the insurance pays off I will be getting her another Cobalt. This car did a great job in protecting my kid and it will do the same for yours, buy American. All in all I cant thank Chevy caring enough and not cheaping out on the safety aspect of this little economy car

Great car for price, needs work
By Brittany on 12/10/08 06:58 AM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. For being a young female it's great, a lot better than my old Escort. It does need a little help though. I don't have a lot of rear seat passengers but they could've given the rear more leg room. Very roomy in front. Only problem I'm having is with the brakes. Yes, after 6500 miles the rotors got warped. Composite rotors with semi metallic pads don't combine well. It's a nice little car for me, rides smooth (other than the brake issue), good on gas and comfy for a tall person like me. Decent style outside for the price. I paid for what I got. Not much to complain about with it.

Cobalt XFE
By Bob on 12/01/08 05:37 AM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

XFE (5 speed) is tuned for highway driving. Flat terrain at 58mpg = 38-42mpg. Subtract 4-5 mpg for air conditioner! Poor in town mpg (23-26). Not good for stop and go commuting in a hot climate. Enjoy XM radio. Good seat adjustments (up/down, back-forth, tilt-lumbar). Chevy. Get rid of Coupe design. Dangerous, cannot see out of back, especially with worthless spoiler. Change to hatchback. Trunk is deep, but opening is miniscule. Can't even put a standard cooler chest in it. Poor access to rear seats. Also Chevy failed to support the XFE sedan. Could not find 1 in the whole US! Corporate didn't know either. Inexcusible. No wonder they are bankrupt!

08 Cobalt LS - glad I bought it
By norb on 11/11/08 12:42 PM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Very good, solid car overall. Fun to drive, reasonably priced compared to the competition, and easy on gas. I've put about 5000 miles on the car and have had no problems. I've been getting 25-26 mpg around town, 31 mpg on longer trips, and I do have a habit of standing on the gas!

Excellent car for the money
By balt lover on 10/06/08 16:00 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car nearly 7 months ago, and it has completely surpassed my expectations. I am just over 6 feet tall, and of all the small cars I tested this one felt the most comfortable to me. It is extremely fun to drive, and even with my heavy foot, I average about 28 mpg in town, and have gotten as much as 38 on the highway. I would highly recomend this car to anyone looking for an econobox that is a kick to drive.

Unbelievable Value
By Tomster on 09/21/08 19:04 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Given the extremely low sticker price, I don't see how anyone with reasonable expectations could be disappointed with a Cobalt. I bought my LS 4 Dr Sedan with auto tranny on June 3, 2008. The sticker price was only $15,530, with the auto tranny and the spoiler being the only options. There was also a $2000 rebate at the time. I cannot believe what a sweet little car that Cobalt has turned out to be, especially considering the low sticker price. I bought the car purely for fuel economy, but I ended up with a car that is really fun to drive. It has amazing acceleration for a gas sipper, a quiet ride, a huge trunk, good handling, and great looks. I am totally pleased with this car!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.