2008 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:
First Car
By Vicious on 09/17/09 11:54 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Sport 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Definitely has the 'fun-to-drive' factor! For my first car, I'd say it was a tasty pick. Test drove it before I even got to a Scion TC and immediately fell in love. Easy to drive, looks sharp after being washed- especially with tinted windows. Only problem I ever had was running the stereo too long without the car being turned on so the battery died, easy jump though. Plastic grille on the front popped out once, but I stuck it back in. Turning signal sticks. Parking brake cable sticks out on the bottom as well. No big deal. Overall I still love it!

Falling apart already...
By dgw2jr on 09/14/09 20:17 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I got it as a rental for work. Pulls hard to the left. Tire pressure is good though. Vibrates when braking as if a rotor is warped. Not acceptable for a car with only 30k miles and built in April of 2008. I don't expect it to last as long as my 1992 Sentra.

Not bad
By Rickey Miller on 08/13/09 06:41 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I was expecting better fuel economy. But I only get about 25mpg avg (city and hwy). It's a fun car to drive, and I'll likely put some work into it once the warranty is up, but for now it has little power and poor mileage. Spend the little extra for the LT. I regret that I didn't.

08 Chevy Cobalt
By Chosen1 on 07/27/09 17:25 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I got my Cobalt 3 months ago and I haven't had any problems. It handles great and is the best small sized car from GM. FINALLY GM has learned how to created a small car with great quality.

Best bang for your buck
By gregp1 on 07/26/09 16:04 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Traded in a 2007 GMC 4x4 pickup due to a job transfer and a 60 mile a day drive to and from work. Took a while to get use to smaller size, I am a 6'2" man, but after a week it is comfortable. Mileage is super, 28 mpg average with spirited driving. Ride comfort is great with SS seats. Handles like it is on rails. Turbo 4 cylinder is fun, runs better than most V8's. To bad GM is stopping production, this car puts a smile on your face.

LOVE it!
By SCMCGirl on 06/11/09 14:12 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Cobalt a year ago and still LOVE it! I had always driven v8's so was a little concerned about going to a 4 cyl, but was very surprised with how much power it actually has. It also handles very well. I live on back country roads and it takes curves wonderfully. Plenty of trunk space makes traveling easy. Also has a GREAT stereo system. The remote start is also great for warming up or cooling down the interior before getting. The back seat is a little tight though.

Bad in accidents-Not Safe
By LindaA on 06/05/09 17:48 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I am sad to say that I just had an accident in my March 2008 Cobalt. My Cobalt and a Mini Van collided at very low speeds and my car had $7,700 worth of damage. I could not believe how bad the damage was for low speeds of under 25mph. Air bags did not deploy. It was at a residential intersection. I have another 4 years to pay on this having taken out a 5 year loan. I am very upset about it all. I will not buy another Cobalt if they should be available.

Up against Honda
By Rolin on 06/01/09 17:27 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

A tall order to stack up against my '75 Civic, but Detroit has finally come abreast of Honda--not to win, of course, but at least place or show. At $9999 this basic model had just what I wanted, including a tight 5-speed manual trannie, almost as buttery smooth as Honda. (Power windows are over-rated anyway.) The caster is a bit too strong, the steering ratio is a bit too sharp, and the steering wheel is a bit too small, so it won't drive itself like a Civic. If you're making a sharp right, be advised to keep a firm grip on the wheel, 'cause it will snap back in the direction it's pointing in a hot lick. But Hey, it's from Detroit! I started with a '49 Chevy, and I'm back home.

Absolute Success
By Phil on 04/21/09 19:01 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Performance: 2.2L ECOtec with the 5sp. is a very quick engine for what it is. A+ on the engine. Suspension needs work, too soft in the corners but smooth ride. The rear drums on mine constantly need adjustment. Comfort: I just drove from Ohio to Wyoming and back non-stop and had no problems with comfort. Fuel: For some reason, the higher the RPM's the worse my mileage... still get 26-7 Driveability: This car is a blast for what it is. Design:Exterior looks excellent except for the lame front bumper. Interior is well constructed and looks good but cheap materials were used. Build: Definitely built well Reliability: A couple minor things needed replaced but covered by warantee NICE CAR!

Follow up review at 15K miles
By Tomster on 03/29/09 19:33 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have already reviewed my 2008 Cobalt LS sedan once, but I thought folks might appreciate an update. I have now owned the car almost ten months, and I have 15,150 miles on it. The car has performed flawlessly, and I have not had a single issue with it. I am getting about 27 or 28 MPG overall average, which is not too bad in my opinion for an automatic. I live in a rural area, and my driving is mostly on hilly, curvy, two lane country roads and in town. I am still amazed by how that little Cobalt will scoot! That 2.2L engine is amazingly powerful. I am extremely happy with the car.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.