Used 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

If you are considering buying this, DON'T.
By henniferx3

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Complete waste of money.So bad I probably won't buy a chevy EVER again. I bought my 08 cobalt at the end of 08, it had 29000 miles on it, bought it for $9300..the carfax said it was in the shop for minor electrical problems, and I had just figured they were all gone because it got fixed. WRONG. About 2 months after owning this car, my power steering went out. Next, my ignition and gear shifter. Then one day when I was driving the locks started locking and unlocking very fast and since then all the buttons including for the windows quit working. Not to mention I have ONE speaker out of 6 that works now. Theres just too much to type. Battery dies for NO reason..All electrical problems.

awesome when it starts
By goin2bluoval

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan Sport 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My 2008 cobalt sport sedan looks great...I get 37 to 52 mpg inst...this car has a ignition problem that GM ignores. Summer days are worse for this car, you can turn the key constantly, over an over or leave it until the steering column cools off, then it will start...thus, this is not a family car. Its only for going staight to work and back. Do not buy a cobalt. Auto trans.

The Pioneer sound system, XM, very peppy, great mpg's.

There are many issue's with cobalts...year by year. My own car starts only once or twice a day. Chevrolet dealer's diagnoses is electrical interference from outside sources, yet they will not specify. Chevy needs to "Man-Up" and help all cobalt owners, before we walk away for good.

Don't Buy This Car
By mightymouse4

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

So I baught this car brand new, needing something good on gas. It's great on gas, getting 36 mpg on the HW, but after owning it only 2 years, it is falling apart! I do all the maintance, change the oil before it's do, and treat it good, but it was a huge mistake. I've had to do the front brakes twice, replace the rotors twice, have the door adjusted, put shocks, ball joints, and a Clutch! Even the dealer told me the clutch is poorly designed, and I'm luckly it lasted that long. Now there is some kind of cluncking in the front, and it's not the struts! I'm working one it every other weekened, and it's only an 08! Oh, by the way, GM does not cover a cluth on the power train warantee!

Gas milage is great. I get 36 on the open road, and 25 in DC traffic.

Buy something else. Even my radio doesn't work correctly. I only have left speakers working. There is almost NO interior storage space. I've had to redo the entire front suspension system and a clutch at 79K miles! The Stealership wants $2100 min to replace a clutch. Front brakes twice and back brakes at 79K. And now I have to do the CV joints too. If this were a 10 year old car with 160k, sure, but not an '08 with 79K. Do yourself a favor, and buy something else.

Love my Cobalt
By special edition

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan Sport 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

this is my 2nd cobalt[1st 2005 and loved it till it got t-boned repaired then got rear ended and totaled]. My 08 cobalt was an improvement over the 05, as it has more pickup and highway mileage is 33miles/gal and it is an automatic. Inside is very comfortable and with the wood grain dash board and side panels it has a great look. Since my 05 cobalt kept me with miner injuries 1st accident and kept me from being really hurt when reared by an SUV at 47miles/hr in my 2nd accident, I am very happy with the cobalt!

great gas mileage and safety

Comfortable
By Jabel

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first new car straight from the dealer. I wanted to get many options without shelling to much money. I have all the options with a low monthly plan. I had some trouble in the beginning like a leaking windshield, alarm kept ringing, and unbalanced. I find the car very comfortable, reliable and the sound system is quiet nice. For the price I'm paying I find it satisfactory.

Sound system, interior/exterior design, comfort, steering

Tiny rust spots on the body after the first winter. Cannot turn on recycled air circulation without the use of the AC.

• SUV