Used 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Cobalt
By Sarge

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Sport 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the 2008 Cobalt because fuel at the time of purchase was at the all time high. So far I do like the vehicle, but it is terrible in snow and ice but most vehicles this size probably are. I have experienced premature wear on the drivers seat at 5000 miles and 6 months service.

Favorite Features

MPG, silver color, appearance and performance, on board computerized readout advising of tire pressure, oil change frequency, air temp and much more.

Suggested Improvements

More comfortable front seats, and more quality material in the upholstery other then this, the car is a reliable GM product so far

Rollover and walk away
By mike

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car for my 18 year old daughter for her high school graduation. She loved it and we loved the cost. Last Sunday she had an accident on the highway in which she hit some black ice. Smashed into a wall. And than the car rolled over landing on the roof. She was wearing her seatbelt. Thank God. Without a scratch she gets out of the car. Calls me first and than called 911. I arrived before the emergency services and she was sittinbg on the side of the road with out a scratch on her. Needless to say that after the insurance pays off I will be getting her another Cobalt. This car did a great job in protecting my kid and it will do the same for yours, buy American. All in all I cant thank Chevy caring enough and not cheaping out on the safety aspect of this little economy car

Favorite Features

Safety, might save your life

Suggested Improvements

Wider tires would be a nice improvment.

Great car for price, needs work
By Brittany

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. For being a young female it's great, a lot better than my old Escort. It does need a little help though. I don't have a lot of rear seat passengers but they could've given the rear more leg room. Very roomy in front. Only problem I'm having is with the brakes. Yes, after 6500 miles the rotors got warped. Composite rotors with semi metallic pads don't combine well. It's a nice little car for me, rides smooth (other than the brake issue), good on gas and comfy for a tall person like me. Decent style outside for the price. I paid for what I got. Not much to complain about with it.

Favorite Features

Leg room in the front, XM radio. Decent trunk space. Good grip steering wheel. Good acceleration. Overall nice.

Suggested Improvements

Change the brakes on this thing! The rotors are too soft for the hard pads! I'm tired of having them fixed. Make more room in the back for passengers not in a car seat.

Cobalt XFE
By Bob

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

XFE (5 speed) is tuned for highway driving. Flat terrain at 58mpg = 38-42mpg. Subtract 4-5 mpg for air conditioner! Poor in town mpg (23-26). Not good for stop and go commuting in a hot climate. Enjoy XM radio. Good seat adjustments (up/down, back-forth, tilt-lumbar). Chevy. Get rid of Coupe design. Dangerous, cannot see out of back, especially with worthless spoiler. Change to hatchback. Trunk is deep, but opening is miniscule. Can't even put a standard cooler chest in it. Poor access to rear seats. Also Chevy failed to support the XFE sedan. Could not find 1 in the whole US! Corporate didn't know either. Inexcusible. No wonder they are bankrupt!

Favorite Features

XM radio. Cruise control on 5 speed.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of coupe. Change to hatchback. No spoiler. improve trunk. improve placement of rearview mirror. Have variable electronic tuning, to improve city mpg. (city/hwy switch). Improve aircon, so it doesn't use 4-5mpg.

08 Cobalt LS - glad I bought it
By norb

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Very good, solid car overall. Fun to drive, reasonably priced compared to the competition, and easy on gas. I've put about 5000 miles on the car and have had no problems. I've been getting 25-26 mpg around town, 31 mpg on longer trips, and I do have a habit of standing on the gas!

Favorite Features

Ergonomics, comfortable in front, good performance for an economy car.

Suggested Improvements

ABS should be standard. Separate gauge for water temp. Consider going to a 5 speed for the automatic.