Used 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS - Consumer Reviews

SS 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual - (6 reviews )

Best bang for your buck
By gregp1

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS SS 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Traded in a 2007 GMC 4x4 pickup due to a job transfer and a 60 mile a day drive to and from work. Took a while to get use to smaller size, I am a 6'2" man, but after a week it is comfortable. Mileage is super, 28 mpg average with spirited driving. Ride comfort is great with SS seats. Handles like it is on rails. Turbo 4 cylinder is fun, runs better than most V8's. To bad GM is stopping production, this car puts a smile on your face.

Turbo charged 4 cylinder, super suspension, great tires, and overall great looks.

Center arm rest and console in stick shift cars. Auto dim inside rear view mirrors

Sweet Chevy Ride
By somnambulist

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS SS 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Chevy has hit the mark with the Cobalt SS. It's a great bargain, with amazing acceleration, a great stick, and a pretty kicking speaker system.

Being able to get the car and color with I wanted for almost no cost

08 Cobalt SS user review
By Superbrowndude

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS SS 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Great car, fun to drive. For the money you will not find a more powerful car from the factory with 260hp at 5200 rpm.

Power, handling, 6 disc in dash mp3 player, factory 7 speaker with Pioneer 10inch sub. Brembo 4 piston calipers in the front, and the tires stick really well on a dry day.

The bland interor could use a face lift. It's not the most user friendly trunk.

SS turbo Quite a Car
By Pizza

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS SS 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Overall the new SS is an amazing car for the money and outperforms many cars with much higher price tags. It's really fun to drive. Finally they got it right, everything you would expect in a SS labeled car. Not for those who just want a little sporty car, you'll soon be bothered by the many clicks, clunks and less refined aspects of this performance car. Fuel mileage sold me on this car and I'm not disappointed, averaging 27mpg mixed driving. A cool feature lets you see your instant mileage approx when trying to stretch those mpg's.

Best feature is the traction control and performance mode shifting. Cars are made to turn and corner, no doubt this little car can handle more than you'd expect.

Build quality is still less than what you'd expect in a GM car. Unfortunate as it is my car was missing nuts in the engine bay, my passenger window rolls very slow, one of the side marker lights didn't work, plastic interior panels were found on my floor. Nothing serious but annoying.

Demon ride...with accoutrements
By JK

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS SS 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

When I first stepped into the car I thought it was roomy - I'm 6'6". The seats were very fitting and finally a head rest that met the back of my head. The SS has everything you want - power across the board, not the seats though. Side airbags and a great steering wheel. I wish I had a manual telescoping option, but it's 20K so go figure. If I wanted wood on the dash and in the car, I should be in the backseat ala S500-EL or a Cadillac Deville-EL. I would recommend getting a two tone interior; red/black for victory red, gray/black for the sport tint - very nice combo's

The engine is a marvelous. The injector's spray fuel into the piston's at around 2000PSI, vs a normal engine at 50-80psi. The turbo, handling and stereo are all great. This would be a great commuter car, but I use it as a grocery getter, around town etc.

Oil pressure guage lights on the rear view mirror auto-sensing rear view auto-sensing side mirrors (accessory is fine) more interior lights (think Malibu LTZ)