Used 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

My colbalt
By carm7sig

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Fun car. But my heated seats went out at 63,000 miles? When i brake hard going down the mountain it feels like its going to fall apart in the front. my Passenger side door lock doesn't work. The chrome is peeling of the interior door latch. Should of got a Kia. If u r going to buy this car keep looking. And if you got to have it test drive the hell out of it. Cause it sounds like some are good and some are not so good. oh and my cruise control works when it wants and my RF tire sensor goes in and out. and other weird problems with my electrical.

Suggested Improvements

Make the wiring better. And whats up with the front suspension. Needs to be stronger. Could be dangerous

If you are considering buying this, DON'T.
By henniferx3

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Complete waste of money.So bad I probably won't buy a chevy EVER again. I bought my 08 cobalt at the end of 08, it had 29000 miles on it, bought it for $9300..the carfax said it was in the shop for minor electrical problems, and I had just figured they were all gone because it got fixed. WRONG. About 2 months after owning this car, my power steering went out. Next, my ignition and gear shifter. Then one day when I was driving the locks started locking and unlocking very fast and since then all the buttons including for the windows quit working. Not to mention I have ONE speaker out of 6 that works now. Theres just too much to type. Battery dies for NO reason..All electrical problems.

Don't Buy This Car
By mightymouse4

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

So I baught this car brand new, needing something good on gas. It's great on gas, getting 36 mpg on the HW, but after owning it only 2 years, it is falling apart! I do all the maintance, change the oil before it's do, and treat it good, but it was a huge mistake. I've had to do the front brakes twice, replace the rotors twice, have the door adjusted, put shocks, ball joints, and a Clutch! Even the dealer told me the clutch is poorly designed, and I'm luckly it lasted that long. Now there is some kind of cluncking in the front, and it's not the struts! I'm working one it every other weekened, and it's only an 08! Oh, by the way, GM does not cover a cluth on the power train warantee!

Favorite Features

Gas milage is great. I get 36 on the open road, and 25 in DC traffic.

Suggested Improvements

Buy something else. Even my radio doesn't work correctly. I only have left speakers working. There is almost NO interior storage space. I've had to redo the entire front suspension system and a clutch at 79K miles! The Stealership wants $2100 min to replace a clutch. Front brakes twice and back brakes at 79K. And now I have to do the CV joints too. If this were a 10 year old car with 160k, sure, but not an '08 with 79K. Do yourself a favor, and buy something else.

More improvements than features
By BRIAN

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car because I wanted to downsize from a mini van thinking I would save on gas.Big mistake my mini van got better gas mileage than this car.the car does have good acceleration good steering, turning for a 2.2 liter but the gas part not so good.I do a lot of highway driving so i needed a car with good gas mileage.also it doesn't have a lot of leg room i have 2 kids and it's really tight ride. unfortunately this car doesnt have a high resale value so i didn't get much when i traded it in

Favorite Features

ipod connection, ok trunk space, acceleration

Suggested Improvements

better gas mileage, exterior is kind of tacky, inside could use a little more designing, bigger trunk space, more leg room.

A Disaster in Navy Blue
By emily207

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Never in my life have I had such an experience with a car. I traded a 1996 Pontiac Sunfire for my 2008 Cobalt, and within months, wanted the Sunfire back. The major issue I had with this car was the lock cylinder. Eventually, I had to have the car towed out of my garage because the key simply wouldn't turn in the ignition. It sat in the shop for a month. I got it back in the middle of January, was rear-ended two days later, and got stranded in a parking lot three days after that when the key wouldn't turn AGAIN. I was completely fed up with the Chevrolet experience and traded it for a 2006 Jetta. I think a person is supposed to be sad to see a car go, but I was HAPPY.

Favorite Features

Automatic headlights; information screen on steering wheel

Suggested Improvements

Stop making it. Period.