Used 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LT Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

An okay car with a few flaws..
By danielsmith85

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have to say my Cobalt has been a pretty good car in terms of reliability. There's been a few problems but I've had most of them were fixed by my local dealership. At 23,000 miles my power steering pump quit while merging on the interstate, lol wonderful right? (Replaced under warranty) At 51,000 miles my radio would randomly turn off and start working again when it wanted to. (Replaced by GM under warranty) And my door speakers would only work when it's warm outside. (I just had new ones installed from Best Buy.) But besides these things the car has been great. It's fun to drive and has a lot of pep for a 4 cylinder. It's great on trips and I plan to have it for many years to come.

Favorite Features

awesome gas mileage, and performance.

Suggested Improvements

The interior could use a little improvement. Trim scratches real easily.

Great Car.
By markb873

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2008 Cobalt at 77,000 miles in the summer of 2011. Just rolled over 100,000 miles. Had a few common problems. Transmission had to be rebuilt under GM Powertrain, both front speakers failed, lower control arms. This is all things I would expect with a disposable GM vehicle. I noticed in the snow that maintaining a proper alignment was key to driving straight, and adjusting the rear brakes was key to stopping. The paint still looks brand new even after $4,000 of paintless dent removal. The car has always been dependable and I don't plan to trade mine in.

Favorite Features

The Higher ratio 5-speed transmission helps me get about 36mpg if I try, and 32mpg if I beat on the car for a week. I like that Chevy still offered this car without options to keep cost down. I was ably to find one without power windows, locks, or an automatic, but could still get the SS spoiler, and Wheels. I praise the balance shafts in the engine. I never had a car i couldn't tell was running.

Suggested Improvements

The transmission needsto be a higher quality. The engine need stronger crank/pistons/rods/and rings. You can't modify the car too much without burning up the motor. I would delete the solid rear axle.

My best investment in a car
By ofrae

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I think U.S cars have been underrated. Sometimes i get 76 mpg inst. Don't waste money on phony hybrids. Cobalt is the best kept secret in cars. It's very roomy inside, i cant believe it's a compact car and plenty of leg room. It's worth every single penny.

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

none

A Champion car
By Ryan

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car a while ago and I love it, I have the LT edition and I get 36 on the highway, even though my car is packed full of stuff(I'm currently moving). Great acceleration and breaking. The only downside is that it gets uncomfortable on long road trips.

Favorite Features

Radio, Cruise, gas mileage

Good
By smp429

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased an 08 cobalt in 2009 with approximately 29000 miles. I do about 90% highway driving and get between 31.5 and 32.5 mile to the gallon which is so much better than my jeep. The car is fun to drive and overall has been great to own. The only draw back is that one of the hubcaps fell off after one month.

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage and good performance.

Suggested Improvements

Gas tank on the drivers side.