2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:
Six years, Too long, Never again.
By sanwich on 06/16/14 01:01 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought it with 3 miles, It was good on gas, Never should of traded my truck for it. I will start this with how big of a P.O.S this car is and build like so.. 2 days in the Door panels get ripped off by other Interior pieces. 3 months in the trunk no longer latches properly, 4 months random shifting times (lag to shift up or fail to shift down when needed). 6 months all Cobalts reduced to 9995 after I paid 15,995 for mine lol.. Speakers, stuts, Exhaust, and hood prop failures.. and then All the recalls started. "faulty ignition switch linked to 33 crashes and 13 deaths" No thanks, I have since traded and only got 5k for it

Stay away if you want to live.
By addybabyface on 03/25/14 18:48 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car back in September w/ 40,000miles. Every month starting a week after I bought it, it flashed "low engine power," I went from going 70mph on the free way with my speed dropping dramatically when I was in front of a semi truck. I've taken it in about 8x for this problem, 5 different part have been put in yet low engine power keeps coming up at the worst times. I'm scared to even drive my car. My car keeps telling me to check my air bags yet when I take it in there fine. Three different shops and the chevy dealer to looked at my car. Its a money pit. I'm now having to trade it in take a loss and buy a new car. But I feel karma will come back at me when someone else buys it.

Good car for the $$
By Chevy loyal on 07/13/10 06:13 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our Cobalt new in 2008. Got a great deal & are very happy. We had one thing wrong with the mirrors when we first got it but taken care of quick and easy. Our cobalt is a manual & we get about 34-37 mpg on the highway, 30-33 in city. (depending on who is driving). Overall a good car, just not a lot of room in the back seat.

I'm back (2 years later)
By cragman1 on 05/19/10 08:30 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Third review from me on my '08 Cobalt base LS w/automatic. Most owners probably either sell or trade 2 yr old cars nowadays. Which is my reason for a 3rd review. Since buying this in Jan of '08, we've seen Toyota go through their inevitable fall from grace, and Honda's numbers are down as well - no doubt due to lack of interest from generation X, Y, or is it Z by now? Either way, once we have all small cars starting to look like Scions or Mazdas, I'd swear it's starting to look like a science fiction movie version of The Stepford Wives - only done in a small car theme! ;~0 . Anyway, I still have my '08 white Cobalt with nifty round red taillights and it still purrs along nicely!

Decided on a Cobalt
By Lenny on 02/12/10 14:25 PM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Cobalt a couple of months ago to replace my gas guzzling alero. however i'm only getting 450km a tank in my car :( and i'm only driving it highway to school and back so that was really disappointing. HUGE trunk and the car is really nice both inside and out and is fun to drive and reliable. sporty and fairly peppy for a 2.2

Falling apart already...
By dgw2jr on 09/14/09 20:17 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I got it as a rental for work. Pulls hard to the left. Tire pressure is good though. Vibrates when braking as if a rotor is warped. Not acceptable for a car with only 30k miles and built in April of 2008. I don't expect it to last as long as my 1992 Sentra.

Not bad
By Rickey Miller on 08/13/09 06:41 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I was expecting better fuel economy. But I only get about 25mpg avg (city and hwy). It's a fun car to drive, and I'll likely put some work into it once the warranty is up, but for now it has little power and poor mileage. Spend the little extra for the LT. I regret that I didn't.

Up against Honda
By Rolin on 06/01/09 17:27 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

A tall order to stack up against my '75 Civic, but Detroit has finally come abreast of Honda--not to win, of course, but at least place or show. At $9999 this basic model had just what I wanted, including a tight 5-speed manual trannie, almost as buttery smooth as Honda. (Power windows are over-rated anyway.) The caster is a bit too strong, the steering ratio is a bit too sharp, and the steering wheel is a bit too small, so it won't drive itself like a Civic. If you're making a sharp right, be advised to keep a firm grip on the wheel, 'cause it will snap back in the direction it's pointing in a hot lick. But Hey, it's from Detroit! I started with a '49 Chevy, and I'm back home.

Absolute Success
By Phil on 04/21/09 19:01 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Performance: 2.2L ECOtec with the 5sp. is a very quick engine for what it is. A+ on the engine. Suspension needs work, too soft in the corners but smooth ride. The rear drums on mine constantly need adjustment. Comfort: I just drove from Ohio to Wyoming and back non-stop and had no problems with comfort. Fuel: For some reason, the higher the RPM's the worse my mileage... still get 26-7 Driveability: This car is a blast for what it is. Design:Exterior looks excellent except for the lame front bumper. Interior is well constructed and looks good but cheap materials were used. Build: Definitely built well Reliability: A couple minor things needed replaced but covered by warantee NICE CAR!

Rollover and walk away
By mike on 12/10/08 15:20 PM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car for my 18 year old daughter for her high school graduation. She loved it and we loved the cost. Last Sunday she had an accident on the highway in which she hit some black ice. Smashed into a wall. And than the car rolled over landing on the roof. She was wearing her seatbelt. Thank God. Without a scratch she gets out of the car. Calls me first and than called 911. I arrived before the emergency services and she was sittinbg on the side of the road with out a scratch on her. Needless to say that after the insurance pays off I will be getting her another Cobalt. This car did a great job in protecting my kid and it will do the same for yours, buy American. All in all I cant thank Chevy caring enough and not cheaping out on the safety aspect of this little economy car

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.