2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:
Six years, Too long, Never again.
By sanwich on 06/16/14 01:01 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought it with 3 miles, It was good on gas, Never should of traded my truck for it. I will start this with how big of a P.O.S this car is and build like so.. 2 days in the Door panels get ripped off by other Interior pieces. 3 months in the trunk no longer latches properly, 4 months random shifting times (lag to shift up or fail to shift down when needed). 6 months all Cobalts reduced to 9995 after I paid 15,995 for mine lol.. Speakers, stuts, Exhaust, and hood prop failures.. and then All the recalls started. "faulty ignition switch linked to 33 crashes and 13 deaths" No thanks, I have since traded and only got 5k for it

Stay away if you want to live.
By addybabyface on 03/25/14 18:48 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car back in September w/ 40,000miles. Every month starting a week after I bought it, it flashed "low engine power," I went from going 70mph on the free way with my speed dropping dramatically when I was in front of a semi truck. I've taken it in about 8x for this problem, 5 different part have been put in yet low engine power keeps coming up at the worst times. I'm scared to even drive my car. My car keeps telling me to check my air bags yet when I take it in there fine. Three different shops and the chevy dealer to looked at my car. Its a money pit. I'm now having to trade it in take a loss and buy a new car. But I feel karma will come back at me when someone else buys it.

Great Car.
By markb873 on 08/17/13 19:01 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2008 Cobalt at 77,000 miles in the summer of 2011. Just rolled over 100,000 miles. Had a few common problems. Transmission had to be rebuilt under GM Powertrain, both front speakers failed, lower control arms. This is all things I would expect with a disposable GM vehicle. I noticed in the snow that maintaining a proper alignment was key to driving straight, and adjusting the rear brakes was key to stopping. The paint still looks brand new even after $4,000 of paintless dent removal. The car has always been dependable and I don't plan to trade mine in.

Run Far Away!
By zwiama90 on 01/07/13 05:37 AM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe Sport 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I can without a doubt say this is the worst car I've ever owned. I'm trading it in after a year of having it and couldn't be happier. It has been on a hoist more times than I can count. My boyfriend is a mechanic and is just disgusted working on it once a month. Before I met him I spent $1000+ just in 2 months of having it. The quality is so bad and the car shifts rough. Endless transmission problems that chevy won't fix. Front suspension falling apart at 60,000 miles, bad multi function switch, steering column issues, engine randomly revs in cruise control, and too many more to list. I got stuck trading a grand prix in for this HUGE mistake. Stay away from these "throw away" cars.

I miss my cobalt
By caguilar16 on 07/15/11 17:43 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe Sport 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The 2008 Cobalt Sport Coupe is a great car. I had mine for just over a year before it was totaled in a four car pile up. I purchased it used and never had a problem with it. It looked great inside and out, and had a fun, powerful, yet economical engine. I wish I still had it for it was the perfect car for me. There was plenty of space in the back seat, and a huge trunk. If you are considering this car I strongly suggest that you get it. It is far superior to all cobalts, with the exception of the ss.

My best investment in a car
By ofrae on 10/18/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I think U.S cars have been underrated. Sometimes i get 76 mpg inst. Don't waste money on phony hybrids. Cobalt is the best kept secret in cars. It's very roomy inside, i cant believe it's a compact car and plenty of leg room. It's worth every single penny.

Good car for the $$
By Chevy loyal on 07/13/10 06:13 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our Cobalt new in 2008. Got a great deal & are very happy. We had one thing wrong with the mirrors when we first got it but taken care of quick and easy. Our cobalt is a manual & we get about 34-37 mpg on the highway, 30-33 in city. (depending on who is driving). Overall a good car, just not a lot of room in the back seat.

I'm back (2 years later)
By cragman1 on 05/19/10 08:30 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Third review from me on my '08 Cobalt base LS w/automatic. Most owners probably either sell or trade 2 yr old cars nowadays. Which is my reason for a 3rd review. Since buying this in Jan of '08, we've seen Toyota go through their inevitable fall from grace, and Honda's numbers are down as well - no doubt due to lack of interest from generation X, Y, or is it Z by now? Either way, once we have all small cars starting to look like Scions or Mazdas, I'd swear it's starting to look like a science fiction movie version of The Stepford Wives - only done in a small car theme! ;~0 . Anyway, I still have my '08 white Cobalt with nifty round red taillights and it still purrs along nicely!

A Champion car
By Ryan on 02/13/10 07:00 AM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car a while ago and I love it, I have the LT edition and I get 36 on the highway, even though my car is packed full of stuff(I'm currently moving). Great acceleration and breaking. The only downside is that it gets uncomfortable on long road trips.

Decided on a Cobalt
By Lenny on 02/12/10 14:25 PM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Cobalt a couple of months ago to replace my gas guzzling alero. however i'm only getting 450km a tank in my car :( and i'm only driving it highway to school and back so that was really disappointing. HUGE trunk and the car is really nice both inside and out and is fun to drive and reliable. sporty and fairly peppy for a 2.2

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.